Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 97

Thread: Prime Len for Travel Photography

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Hunter View Post
    Anyone use prime Len for their travel photography? I am thinking to buy a 50mm, 1.4 for my Korea trip in Oct and subsequently use it for general purpose. (Birthday party, gathering, etc)
    I have travelled with a 50/1.4 before. On its own, there will be quite a bit of limitations.. Pair it with a UWA zoom and it will do wonders.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    My suggestion is to travel with the equipment that you are comfortable with. Don't change your system (Camera+Lens combo) because you are travelling.

    Another thing to do is, what do you want to take?

    I am using a 50mm f1.4 quite a lot on FF of course and it works for me.

    If I am travelling, I will generally consider 24mm, 50mm and 135mm prime lenses on FF DSLR. If I am greedy.. I would fit the 16mm FE and 2x TC...

    These are the lenses that I use all the time so I do understand how it "looks" and what I want to capture.

    If you don't know what you want to take and want to keep option open, I will suggest to bring zoom lenses, UWA, Medium and perhaps a longish zoom...

    Hope it helps.

    Hart

  3. #43

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    My 50mm f/1.4 AI is on the cam most of the time but I will always have other lenses - 20mm, 105/180/300mm - in my bag. But if I can only bring one prime lens, it will be my 50mm.

  4. #44
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey KM Tan View Post
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P3dO0Hxg2_h_LWrEcgd4IPfEiywEvBRjSP4sv3jTl0k?feat=d irectlink[/url]

    First time using a 50mm 1.4 for a landscape shot. Please comment.


    I think it looks nice. Would look even better if the bottom is not cropped.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    It appears you are shooting at f8 or f11. What kind of comment are you seeking since it is not the f1.4 of your 50mm?

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    My suggestion is to travel with the equipment that you are comfortable with. Don't change your system (Camera+Lens combo) because you are travelling.

    Another thing to do is, what do you want to take?

    I am using a 50mm f1.4 quite a lot on FF of course and it works for me.

    If I am travelling, I will generally consider 24mm, 50mm and 135mm prime lenses on FF DSLR. If I am greedy.. I would fit the 16mm FE and 2x TC...

    These are the lenses that I use all the time so I do understand how it "looks" and what I want to capture.

    If you don't know what you want to take and want to keep option open, I will suggest to bring zoom lenses, UWA, Medium and perhaps a longish zoom...

    Hope it helps.

    Hart
    Cannot agree more with Brother Hart's advice.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    I use 20-35mm and a 50mm for most of my travel photography... on a full frame
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

  8. #48

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    My suggestion is to travel with the equipment that you are comfortable with. Don't change your system (Camera+Lens combo) because you are travelling.

    Another thing to do is, what do you want to take?

    I am using a 50mm f1.4 quite a lot on FF of course and it works for me.

    If I am travelling, I will generally consider 24mm, 50mm and 135mm prime lenses on FF DSLR. If I am greedy.. I would fit the 16mm FE and 2x TC...

    These are the lenses that I use all the time so I do understand how it "looks" and what I want to capture.

    If you don't know what you want to take and want to keep option open, I will suggest to bring zoom lenses, UWA, Medium and perhaps a longish zoom...

    Hope it helps.

    Hart
    Thanks

  9. #49

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    personally using a 24-70L and 135L on my 5DMk1 and 5DMk2 bodies. Really nice combo and pretty much perfect for my kind of photography except that i sometimes miss out on the wide end.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Dont you think 24-70 is too heavy for travelling purpose?

  11. #51

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Hunter View Post
    Dont you think 24-70 is too heavy for travelling purpose?
    To some people it might not be..
    Canon 550D|15-85|100L|430EX II|Flickr

  12. #52
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    many people's idea of photography while traveling is very different...

    so whether a 24-70 is too heavy or what it really depends on individual...

    heck! for me, if i am traveling and all.. means i wanna have fun exploring and spending time with frens n family.. the camera & equipment shouldn't be bogging me down in anyway that will hamper me or even worse dampen the mood of others accompanying me.. so even a 17-55 is too bulky for a holiday trip...

    i'm not doing a photoshoot for a model or anything.. so just use what is comfortable and enjoy the holiday...

    so most importantly is that you feel comfortable with ur choice..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  13. #53
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    many people's idea of photography while traveling is very different...

    so whether a 24-70 is too heavy or what it really depends on individual...

    heck! for me, if i am traveling and all.. means i wanna have fun exploring and spending time with frens n family.. the camera & equipment shouldn't be bogging me down in anyway that will hamper me or even worse dampen the mood of others accompanying me.. so even a 17-55 is too bulky for a holiday trip...

    i'm not doing a photoshoot for a model or anything.. so just use what is comfortable and enjoy the holiday...

    so most importantly is that you feel comfortable with ur choice..
    I agree with you. Sometimes I'm so lazy that I just pack a pns along for the trip and afterwards regret that I can't take a shot because the pns is so limiting. But that's just me. Travelling for me is just to enjoy the sights and not to be so overly concerned with composition and photo taking.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  14. #54

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I agree with you. Sometimes I'm so lazy that I just pack a pns along for the trip and afterwards regret that I can't take a shot because the pns is so limiting. But that's just me. Travelling for me is just to enjoy the sights and not to be so overly concerned with composition and photo taking.
    Yes, sometime we need to 看开点.

  15. #55
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I agree with you. Sometimes I'm so lazy that I just pack a pns along for the trip and afterwards regret that I can't take a shot because the pns is so limiting. But that's just me. Travelling for me is just to enjoy the sights and not to be so overly concerned with composition and photo taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Hunter View Post
    Yes, sometime we need to 看开点.
    yes there are times that we should enjoy the holiday and not think about having solid photos...

    of course when you are going for a trip that is half half, then you will need a good enough camera to capture some nice memories.. but don't let it ruin the other experiences...

    somehow i realised that the people who are enjoying without having to worry whether they got a nice photo or even got a photo are the ones who really had the most fun...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  16. #56
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    I will try take a few good shots during my travels but mostly will be snap shots for me to remember by haha.

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    I wonder how it's like to bring a 24-70L on tour. I plan to do that this year end for a 9 day trip, hope it doesn't break my neck.. I am quite new and not really sure what sort of lens is suitable but the 24-70 seems fine to me, maybe the weight is the only trouble?
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

  18. #58
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zozzcyx View Post
    I wonder how it's like to bring a 24-70L on tour. I plan to do that this year end for a 9 day trip, hope it doesn't break my neck.. I am quite new and not really sure what sort of lens is suitable but the 24-70 seems fine to me, maybe the weight is the only trouble?
    ask urself whether you need that big gun for ur purposes... if not look at some alternatives lor..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  19. #59

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    Just wanna to you all ...is that 18mm-135mm suitable for travelling ?

  20. #60

    Default Re: Prime Len for Travel Photography

    I was posted to Hong Kong for work for about half a year not too long ago. I brought along a combo of D90 with 35mm f1.8 and the kit lens 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. I also brought a tripod.

    I brought both lens because they were the only lens I had in my possession. I was using them to take the following images of :

    1) my 2-month old daughter who was growing and changing with every passing day while she made the trip with my wife and me to Hong Kong.

    2) food and gloriously good food (from 茶餐厅 to Yum Chas to Michelin-starred restaurants)

    3) as I was on a business trip, I was taking photos at nights on Mondays-Fridays and day/night shots on weekends.

    4) Landscape shots were taken at places such as The Peak, Lantau Island and Lamma, Big Buddha, Stanley, North Point, Mong Kok, Hong Kong Island from Sheung Wan to Tai Koo and Kowloon to Lai Chi Kok and even Yuen Long and Ma On Shan!

    5) Theme parks that I had visited included Disneyland and Ocean Park.

    6) Weekend getaways to Macau as well.

    During my time there, I must say that I had 80% of my shots using the 35mm. Since I take mostly images of food and my family, the 35mm f/1.8 was able to capture suitably well in low lights. The only times when the 18mm was needed were for:
    i) the nightly laser shows from Tsim Sha Tsui overlooking Hong Kong Island and vice versa. (even the 18mm is not able to capture the entire Hong Kong Island)
    ii) the view from the Peak (the 18mm was also not able to capture the entire view in 1 shot)
    iii) views from Lamma Island
    iv) shows at theme parks where I ensured that I'm seated at the "No splash zone" so as to protect my camera equipment.
    v) The Ruins of St. Paul in Macau

    Since TS does not have any intention to switch to FF, a 35mm lens is effective about 50mm already so it does present a tight angle to shoot with. Fortunately for me, the 35mm focuses to about 1 foot so I never really have to stand up to take a picture of a food in a busy and cramped 茶餐厅 or Yum Cha place around Hong Kong)

    At the Avenue of Stars, I was taking the statue of Bruce Lee in low light (The sun sets around 5:30-6pm in Hong Kong). Using a tripod, I was able to set a longer exposure with the 35mm fully open compared to the 18-105 kit lens at f/3.5. With the f/3.5, my subjects were moving like they were practicing 無影腳 (shadowless kick)!

    Changing lens is quite challenging in Hong Kong due to bad streetside air quality (very high PSI readings) and strong winds. It is advisable to change your lens indoors before you go outdoors. At places like The Peak and Avenue of Stars, I was running indoors to change my lens.

    I hope you will enjoy your trip to Hong Kong. Regardless of the lens you bring, it is more important to enjoy the trip than to worry about the adequecies of the gear you bring. I did not bring my tripod every day as well and ocasionally relied on my wife's PnS camera or the camera phone for those times when I went jogging at Happy Valley Racecourse or to Stanley and to some cosy cafes with free wireless access point.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •