Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Is there any electronics store out in singapore which is duty-free? those electronics like digital camera, ipod touch, ear piece...
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  2. #2
    Member lamergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fratton Park, Portsmouth
    Posts
    1,511

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    Is there any electronics store out in singapore which is duty-free? those electronics like digital camera, ipod touch, ear piece...
    I do see camera shops in Changi Airport, so i presume it's duty free. But they charge higher than outside plus it's very limited in terms of selection

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Yea... those in air-ports are duty-free... But those price is only for those with ticket? As in airplane ticket...
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    only for tourist. need to show passport.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    For tourist only. You can claim the GST only and it is not full 7%, around 5%.

    Have to use a visa card if you do it downtown and you must show your item to the custom before you exit singapore.

    If you get the rebate back, then you just need to go to the airport's GST refund counter show you receipt, passport and item to claim back the cash.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by KiichiroToyoda View Post
    For tourist only. You can claim the GST only and it is not full 7%, around 5%.

    Have to use a visa card if you do it downtown and you must show your item to the custom before you exit singapore.

    If you get the rebate back, then you just need to go to the airport's GST refund counter show you receipt, passport and item to claim back the cash.
    Lol... Then singaporean can only go malaysia to enjoy great discount liao lor....
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Why would any shop within singapore be allowed to sell goods without GST? Then they'd be flooded, plus it's illegal
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    why would you want to buy duty-free at airport.... so overpriced...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Why would any shop within singapore be allowed to sell goods without GST? Then they'd be flooded, plus it's illegal
    GST only kicks in if your company earns more than 1 mil per year, anything below that no GST.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    GST only kicks in if your company earns more than 1 mil per year, anything below that no GST.
    Erm. You need to go back and start reading a bit more. Corporate tax and general consumer tax is not the same.

    Here, i'll help you:
    http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_versi...tno=REVED-117A

    "Tax shall be charged on any supply of goods or services made in Singapore where it is a taxable supply made by a taxable person in the course or furtherance of any business carried on by him."


    And here:

    http://www.business.gov.sg/EN/Govern.../taxes_gst.htm

    What Goods And Services Are Subject To GST?

    * All goods and services are taxable and known as taxable supplies.

    * However, some items are specifically exempt from GST by law. Exempted items include financial services and the sale or lease of residential properties.

    See: Supplies exempt from GST

    back to top

    When Do I Pay GST?

    * You have to pay GST when you buy goods or services from GST-registered businesses and when you import goods into Singapore. For imports, GST is paid to Singapore Customs
    Last edited by Rashkae; 24th August 2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Alpha

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    Is there any electronics store out in singapore which is duty-free? those electronics like digital camera, ipod touch, ear piece...


    There is no such thing as duty-free electronic. Other than alcohol, tobacco products, motor spirit (petrol) and motor vehicles which are subject to Customs duties, all other products including electronic are not subject to customs duty. If there is no customs duty for electronic, what duty-free are u talking about? Unless you are talking about GST-free.
    Last edited by redstorm; 24th August 2010 at 08:40 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    There is no such thing as duty-free electronic. Other than alcohol, tobacco products, motor spirit (petrol) and motor vehicles which are subject to Customs duties, all other products including electronic are not subject to customs duty. If there is no customs duty for electronic, what duty-free are u talking about? Unless you are talking about GST-free.
    Ya... Its GST-free i meant...
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why would you want to buy duty-free at airport.... so overpriced...
    not everything are overpriced.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Duty-free for we singaporeans?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why would you want to buy duty-free at airport.... so overpriced...
    Not everything.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •