Thread: YOG commentators

Default YOG commentators

the games have had their fair share of controversy.. but the commentators have their own too~!!

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/08...heir-response/

so much for world class~!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Default Re: YOG commentators

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    the games have had their fair share of controversy.. but the commentators have their own too~!!

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/08...heir-response/

so much for world class~!
    The only commentator I remember and enjoy listening to is the one for tabble tennis (when we won Gold) this year at world TB championship. I believe he comments for some of YOG's event as well Should be an Englishman due to his accent.

And he is such a pro-Singapore! Sorry I don't remember his name, I'm bad with names.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

as commentator, does it mean you have to bias toward some country? i dont like those bias commentator
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

i think those that keep repeating the same thing for everyone is worse~!!

like diving.. he keep repeating the same thing.. over n over again...
    mylightedreams

Well, after reading the comments to the article I've found out that the commentator I was refering to was Mr Burgess. When I mean he's pro-singapore, not as in biased on Singapore's side, but the way he adds "aiyoh" and "alamak"... brings instant laughs. He is in-tuned to our local tastes.

This is the kind of commentator I'm hoping for every sports featured - which is thoroughly lacking currently to say the least. By the way he comments, you can seriously "feel" for the sports rather than merely just reporting (boring all the way). He simply brings "LIFE" into the game.

I don't know what was his past work experience (not sure if he has), he is some kind of a story teller who makes you want to listen for more - filling in with morsels of interesting details, a couple of interesting sound effects, adds his own personal feelings and comments. Bottom line, he is a commedian, storyteller, historian (strong facts) all in one... Commentator alone is not even enough to describe his role.

At the risk of being accused of having the Pinkerton syndrome, this is ONE Englishman you'd love to like.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 24th August 2010 at 04:28 PM.

The commentator is English. I forgot his name but he has a lot of experiences in commentation. He's the commentator of our weekly friday night S.League matches. Along with Sasi Kumar, ex Singapore star player also commentating on S.League is commenting the YOG.

Sasi Kumar is rubbish but the Englishman is good. He has been the commentator for all major games such as Beijing 08 and Doha Games.

Sometimes I switched off the sound & just watched the actions. For this YOG & even for the recent World Cup.

Blog Entries

well. i couldnt resist but leak out a small giggle.

They should have just hire some foreigners to do the job.
    Last edited by Jix; 25th August 2010 at 10:52 AM.

It's all about passion.

Remember the Malaysia Cup? The commentators are good, they bring those TV viewer's up on their feet!
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

hahaha... tongue-in-cheek... "know the difference between THIRD and TURD"... good one Alex
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    hahaha... tongue-in-cheek... "know the difference between THIRD and TURD"... good one Alex
    It is the bane of most English-speaking Singaporeans... The difficulty in pronouncing the "Th"... "Ah boy, it's Tree o-clock already, you're going to miss your Engrish tuition liao!"...

LOL. i still remember one emcee at my company's events kept mispronouncing our product names, and the whole department was wincing everytime he made a mistake. until i walked over and whispered into his ear.... man....was he embarrassed.

the problem with the rest of the professionals there at the YOG is that they didn't give a damn enough to tell the commentators that they're making mistakes. it takes 2 hands to clap. one who makes the mistake, and the other who doesn't want to correct the mistake

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    It is the bane of most English-speaking Singaporeans... The difficulty in pronouncing the "Th"... "Ah boy, it's Tree o-clock already, you're going to miss your Engrish tuition liao!"...
    i myself am guilty of this "Th" thing when talking casually among friends
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Btw.... it's "Media cop" or "Media Corrrrr" har? I think the American pronounciation of the "corp" with "corrrr" sounds nicer... Probably it's just me...

Eg... Welcome to the Corrrrr, Marine!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 25th August 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    i myself am guilty of this "Th" thing when talking casually among friends
    Me too, I'm afraid... although I have no problem with "Th" if required. It is part of assimilation into a certain group culture perhaps... one doesn't want to sound too snobbish in front of others... I tend to shift my pronounciations a bit to suit the Brit and US foreigners as well... Don't want to "sia-sueh" our local English-level to the foreigners, even though I still get the "weird eye" look from the locals... Aussie one...man, I still can't do it no matter how hard I try... Everytime I try, my jaw gets over-stretched...

To me, it is simply a form of assimilation.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 25th August 2010 at 11:28 AM.

hahhaha... LOL~! yesh yesh, i batter go fash fash...
    mylightedreams

Btw.... it's "Media cop" or "Media Corrrrr" har? I think the American pronounciation of the "corp" with "corrrr" sounds nicer... Probably it's just me...

Eg... Welcome to the Corrrrr, Marine!

Its Marine 'Corps' which is pronounced as marine 'korz'. 'Corp' on the otherhand is short for 'corporation' which is pronounced with a 'p' at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jix View Post
    Its Marine 'Corps' which is pronounced as marine 'korz'. 'Corp' on the otherhand is short for 'corporation' which is pronounced with a 'p' at the end.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up... So the difference is made with the "s" in front eh?... Corp it is then!

Then again, I keep hearing "cop" without a hint of the "r".... like "corrrrrp" Should be "corrrp" right?

Edit: what an idiot!.. Sorry, i just realised "corps" is not the same word as corporations?... woot! that's something new i've learnt today!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 25th August 2010 at 11:51 AM.