Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: long exposure layer blending

  1. #1

    Default long exposure layer blending

    hi

    anyone tried long exposure with layer blending before?

    i think it should be possible in theory...

    pls kindly share your thoughts...

  2. #2

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    of course can, done it before.

  3. #3

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    of course can, done it before.
    hi wk

    tks.. wanna save $ on nd grad.. hahaha...

  4. #4

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi wk

    tks.. wanna save $ on nd grad.. hahaha...
    but to be honest, not that much of an outlay is required for nd grad -

    ring x 1 at most $15,
    filter holder x 1 at most $20
    filter tianya x 1 at most $15

    $50 is definitely a significant sum, but it pales in comparison to the amount of money anyone spends on other photographic equipment.

    of course, it depends on your own personal evaluation - whether you are willing to spend the time to slowly layer blend everything - it is not easy... even after increasing the processing time through shortcuts, i still can spend around 20 minutes to layer blend a straightforward photo (i.e. something at sunset that usually requires 3 photos - rocks, water, sky), and that is assuming that it is a single shot (not pano). for city scenes it will take even longer. i say, $50 is a small price to pay to help reduce occurences of having to layer blend... but that's just my take. you have to make your own decisions, i'm just offering my pov.

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    haha yea picked up that trick to do layer blending from the mags u provided. yes its possible and the effects are quite stunning too

  6. #6

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but to be honest, not that much of an outlay is required for nd grad -

    ring x 1 at most $15,
    filter holder x 1 at most $20
    filter tianya x 1 at most $15

    $50 is definitely a significant sum, but it pales in comparison to the amount of money anyone spends on other photographic equipment.

    of course, it depends on your own personal evaluation - whether you are willing to spend the time to slowly layer blend everything - it is not easy... even after increasing the processing time through shortcuts, i still can spend around 20 minutes to layer blend a straightforward photo (i.e. something at sunset that usually requires 3 photos - rocks, water, sky), and that is assuming that it is a single shot (not pano). for city scenes it will take even longer. i say, $50 is a small price to pay to help reduce occurences of having to layer blend... but that's just my take. you have to make your own decisions, i'm just offering my pov.
    hi wk

    tks alot

    i see... i didn't do as much landscape as you... i will take your advice seriously... i am considering hitech gnd.. which cost quite a bit...


    i am amazed that you can balance your sky and ground using one tianya... don't you also need to blend exposure when the DR is too high?

    and another question is how can one use gnd for city scenes? i thought we can only use it when the horizon is straight?


    tks alot for your kind advice

  7. #7

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    glad the mags were useful, allen. maybe when you have digested the information, you can pass it to other friends who are interested in photography.

    sfoto - if need be, i will do exposure blending, but more important is that you understand the quality of light, then will make a lot of things easier for you. i have a strong preference for a particular sort of lighting... riotvan will know what that is..

    in photoshop, as long as the details are there and you have obtained optimal exposure, you can easily use layers blending options like multiply/screen to balance out exposure, that will be a lot quicker than doing bona fide exposure blending - not to mention you may have movement issues.

  8. #8

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    glad the mags were useful, allen. maybe when you have digested the information, you can pass it to other friends who are interested in photography.

    sfoto - if need be, i will do exposure blending, but more important is that you understand the quality of light, then will make a lot of things easier for you. i have a strong preference for a particular sort of lighting... riotvan will know what that is..

    in photoshop, as long as the details are there and you have obtained optimal exposure, you can easily use layers blending options like multiply/screen to balance out exposure, that will be a lot quicker than doing bona fide exposure blending - not to mention you may have movement issues.
    i see... i never try multiply/screen before... i use take two shots, and use brush...

    have u tried gnd + 10 stop nd before? if so, that means u got to align your gnd first, then take it out, fix 10 stop nd, then place gnd back right?

    i saw posts about Lee big stopper being cooler than b+w 10 stops... and it is better they claimed..

    it puzzled me, why cooler color is better?

    do u think using rear gelatin nd will produce good IQ when compared to screw in 10 stop nd or big stopper?

    sorry for all these noob questions from a newbie

  9. #9

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    I've tried doing a city shot before with moving traffic and I found the part of matching/masking the light streams to be the most tedious. But that was before I had my 4-stop ND filter... planning to give it a try sometime soon with human traffic perhaps...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Hi guys, which mag u guys talking about? Able to point me to it pls?

  11. #11

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    the nd110 warms the picture, along with the nd400.

    for rear gelatin, like i mentioned to someone else before, good luck, you can't see to compose, you have to precompose, remove the mount and mount the gelatin pack near the sea/water... like using nd110 already not ley chey enough, still want to do such things.

  12. #12

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the nd110 warms the picture, along with the nd400.

    for rear gelatin, like i mentioned to someone else before, good luck, you can't see to compose, you have to precompose, remove the mount and mount the gelatin pack near the sea/water... like using nd110 already not ley chey enough, still want to do such things.
    ya hor... remove mount, then will move camera a bit...

    anyway i doubt the gelatin filters can perform well compare to the glass nd... but i am just guessing only... bcos i got no proof...

  13. #13

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    i think even if they perform on par, the problems with using them in the field would far outweigh the benefits (i.e. money saved)

  14. #14

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    glad the mags were useful, allen. maybe when you have digested the information, you can pass it to other friends who are interested in photography.

    sfoto - if need be, i will do exposure blending, but more important is that you understand the quality of light, then will make a lot of things easier for you. i have a strong preference for a particular sort of lighting... riotvan will know what that is..

    in photoshop, as long as the details are there and you have obtained optimal exposure, you can easily use layers blending options like multiply/screen to balance out exposure, that will be a lot quicker than doing bona fide exposure blending - not to mention you may have movement issues.
    Pardon for asking, but what do you mean by optimal exposure?
    thks

  15. #15
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Pardon for asking, but what do you mean by optimal exposure?
    thks
    erm. to me it will be bright enough to see all the details, including sky, blurred sea etc

    for me i'll do 5 exposures. one for sea, next for horizion, then for clouds. the other 2 will be inbetween.

    then must layer mask+ layer blending for me

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    glad the mags were useful, allen. maybe when you have digested the information, you can pass it to other friends who are interested in photography.

    sfoto - if need be, i will do exposure blending, but more important is that you understand the quality of light, then will make a lot of things easier for you. i have a strong preference for a particular sort of lighting... riotvan will know what that is..

    in photoshop, as long as the details are there and you have obtained optimal exposure, you can easily use layers blending options like multiply/screen to balance out exposure, that will be a lot quicker than doing bona fide exposure blending - not to mention you may have movement issues.
    yep i'll still hold on to them for a while then i'll pass it on thanks loads

  17. #17
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    erm. to me it will be bright enough to see all the details, including sky, blurred sea etc

    for me i'll do 5 exposures. one for sea, next for horizion, then for clouds. the other 2 will be inbetween.

    then must layer mask+ layer blending for me
    If TS is trying out, maybe lesser no .of exposures would be easier..but do look out not to have a final photo with only gray tones... contrast should be present to make the photo look natural..
    my 2cents.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  18. #18

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yep i'll still hold on to them for a while then i'll pass it on thanks loads
    hello boy boy, pls pass to me ...

    we met at the wayang , remember? hehe

  19. #19

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Pardon for asking, but what do you mean by optimal exposure?
    thks
    where the histogram is pushed as far right as possible without highlights being blown.

    with proper use of gnd, assuming there is sufficient strength, you should be seeing a very "healthy" histogram with details filled up across the entire horizontal axis. the trouble is that not every scene will correspond to this description, so it is really case by case.


    that is best case scenario. usually when i can't do that (mainly because my tianya gnd only has one strength), then i will do layer blending.

  20. #20

    Default Re: long exposure layer blending

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    where the histogram is pushed as far right as possible without highlights being blown.

    with proper use of gnd, assuming there is sufficient strength, you should be seeing a very "healthy" histogram with details filled up across the entire horizontal axis. the trouble is that not every scene will correspond to this description, so it is really case by case.


    that is best case scenario. usually when i can't do that (mainly because my tianya gnd only has one strength), then i will do layer blending.
    Thanks for explaining.
    Yeah, I was curious about how to get the histogram could be even, esp in situations where it is not a bell curve.
    Thanks for the insights, on when to consider layer blending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •