Thread: Calibrated screen users please help me.

Default Calibrated screen users please help me.

Hi everyone, sorry to trouble any of you for a little assistance. I have 2 "calibrated" monitors side by side by somehow i felt as if though one is more saturated in color then the other.

Please help me to compare these two pictures for your reference and let me know which one appears to be calibrated on your screen. Some info as to why the other picture is better than the other in term of colors, saturation and contrast could also be very useful to me.

1. 2.

SO which one appears to be properly "calibrated"? 1 or 2? Thank you for all the help provided.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

Default Re: Calibrated screen users please help me.

hi

in the first place is there a way to know that one has done a correct calibration? just running a colorimter on a monitor means it is calibrated CORRECTLY?

i really doubt so... i believe different brands calibrate differently...

anyway what i have said may not be 100% correct... but to date, after reading quite a bit, this is my own conclusion...

calibration is more for controlling the color between your screen and the print out.

As for sharing on the web, try to use sRGB profile.

Actually i am using Windows 7 built in calibrate display color tool. I have run the calibration software on both monitors. As i'm using dual monitor, somehow the other monitor seems brighter and slightly more reddish in saturation than the other. I am aware that calibration is particularly needed in order to have our prints display accurate colors but in this case, i am confused as to which monitor is actually displaying the so called "calibrated" colors. On my 1st monitor,picture one is nicely saturated while picture 2 is over saturated. On my 2nd monitor, picture one is very pale and picture 2 is nicely saturated. So base on what you see on your monitor (if its calibrated), is picture one pale and picture two nicely saturated or the other way?
    Last edited by mabmy; 23rd August 2010 at 05:12 PM.

You cannot rely on the windows 7 built-in tool. It just sets your profile to what a database tells it is correct, which may not be correct for your system. You need to use a proper calibration tool.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You cannot rely on the windows 7 built-in tool. It just sets your profile to what a database tells it is correct, which may not be correct for your system. You need to use a proper calibration tool.
    LOL! Oh my, I thought its sufficient. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to print both the pictures and see which print out is more pleasant than the other.

for prints its easy, as long as screen match print. how hard can it get? calibrate monitor color swipes, calibrate printer to color swipes (or use appropriate screen to printer to paper profiles) and you can get pretty decent matches.

for web, its a little more tricky. because even if you have "correctly" calibrated your screen, other people might not (or might have calibrated it is a "wrong" way) and they will say, "eh your image not nice/too saturated/not contrasty enough). (color profile wise, use sRGB, thats the internet standard)

i someone with shallow pockets and all i do it eyeballing my screen, and it turns out pretty decent, most other screens i see shows similar color/sat/contrast. I use a freeware quickgamma to eyeball my screen. before that i used to go to photoshop, open a document and fill it with pure blue and ask myself "is this color blue? or is there a tinge?" and adjust monitor accordingly (similarly for green and red)

Edit: btw, picture 1 looks more correct.
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 24th August 2010 at 12:51 AM.