Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marina Bay Sand

Default Re: Marina Bay Sand

what happened to the space on the left?

MBS is essentially a cluster of buildings so you got to pay attantion to the position of each and every one of those buildings when you work out the composition.

To begin with, your composition is unbalanced, with the 3 hotel towers banking towards the left, leaving a bulk of empty space on the right. The museum wing on the extreme left is pretty close to the first tower and distracting enough for the entire composition to appear disconcerting. The buildings are being "stick" together in an uneven manner. The highlights being way out of control didn't help either. In essence, the spot you were at and timing of the shot is less than ideal. And yes, the tilt is very obvious.

A head on shot from somewhere in front of One Fullerton would be much better for the composition as the buildings will not appear to be over lapping each other. Try not to take the shot when the sky is too dark and contrasty compared to the night lights. You'll over expose the highlights. The reflections were also less than desirable but I didn't think cropping them off altogether helped at all. I would actually try a wider angle to include more of the water and give more space to both ends of MBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    MBS is essentially a cluster of buildings so you got to pay attantion to the position of each and every one of those buildings when you work out the composition.

To begin with, your composition is unbalanced, with the 3 hotel towers banking towards the left, leaving a bulk of empty space on the right. The museum wing on the extreme left is pretty close to the first tower and distracting enough for the entire composition to appear disconcerting. The buildings are being "stick" together in an uneven manner. The highlights being way out of control didn't help either. In essence, the spot you were at and timing of the shot is less than ideal. And yes, the tilt is very obvious.

A head on shot from somewhere in front of One Fullerton would be much better for the composition as the buildings will not appear to be over lapping each other. Try not to take the shot when the sky is too dark and contrasty compared to the night lights. You'll over expose the highlights. The reflections were also less than desirable but I didn't think cropping them off altogether helped at all. I would actually try a wider angle to include more of the water and give more space to both ends of MBS.
    Thanks Kit for the very insightful breakdown of the picture. Saw your MBS photos in your flickr. The timing and the place to take MBS from can really make a different.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    what happened to the space on the left?
    I crop that off too cos i thought that will remove the distraction at the bottom left. Does this make the composition not balance instead?

Quote Originally Posted by woeilee View Post
    I crop that off too cos i thought that will remove the distraction at the bottom left. Does this make the composition not balance instead?
    that would be correct.

anyways, for me, i don't deem it necessary to make sure you stand in front of one fullerton - i think it really depends on many factors. the angle is fine for me, removing the tilts and distortions of any kind.

Liked the cropped one better! The borders also suit it...
    Lacks sharpness though :/
    ARUN. N | Architecture|Fashion|Events
    http://www.jeetenge.com/jgallery/main.php?g2_itemId=659

Nice shot there. I prefer the first one you posted. Good contrast of colours. The light beams are very nice!

great shot

Quote Originally Posted by woeilee View Post
    Another attempt, based on night86mare advise to crop out the reflection. Added a border to it also.

Much better!

I prefer the one with the reflections. TS just keep the picture you like best.

Nice shots overall.

I find that the highlights are a bit over esp. on the left and right. Maybe a black card, slight drop in exposure or exposure blending. Can you recover them in PP?
    That might cut out the overpowering brightness/distraction on the two sides as well.

My few cents

The original is still my favourite. Nothing is born perfect. Perfection cannot exist in this world for more than few minutes.

Thank you all for your comments. really appreciate that you had spent time viewing my photo.
    I really learnt alot from this tread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12