Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marina Bay Sand

Smile Marina Bay Sand

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Trying out Landscape photography and hence want to know if I had done the composition right.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Took this photo at around 10pm. Camera on tripod.
    Shutter speed - 30s
    f/16
    iso - 250

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I had allowed a large area above the building to show-case the light beam. By using slow shutter speed in hope to obtain a smooth water surface.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

Default Re: Marina Bay Sand

A good angle of view. Allowing space above to let the viewer see the way the beams project project into the night sky. Brings out the grandeur of the buildings. Composition is not confined to the Rule of Thirds but looks balanced.

If you can increase the saturation slightly, i would definitely like to hang it in my living room. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Very nice! The signature maybe don't put so central.

good shot. my only comment is the bright light at the bottom right hand side is distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by kitlens View Post
    good shot. my only comment is the bright light at the bottom right hand side is distracting.
    i think its fine... maybe the light in the bottom left side near the dome side, is too near the edge.. crop too much?
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

looks a little tilted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eworms View Post
    A good angle of view. Allowing space above to let the viewer see the way the beams project project into the night sky. Brings out the grandeur of the buildings. Composition is not confined to the Rule of Thirds but looks balanced.

If you can increase the saturation slightly, i would definitely like to hang it in my living room. Thanks.
    i'm glad it is a balanced composition.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Very nice! The signature maybe don't put so central.
    Dont really know where to place the watermark so just put it at the centre. I may reduce the size and place it at the right-bottom corner next time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kitlens View Post
    I find that distracting too but can't get it off in-camera. I think I will try post-process it tonight and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    i think its fine... maybe the light in the bottom left side near the dome side, is too near the edge.. crop too much?
    Din crop it really. Perhaps I should to remove those lights at the bottom left instead. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    looks a little tilted.
    Good eye-sight. Just a bit i guess. Thanks.

Tried to convert it to mono and burn the highlight so that the lower left-hand corner is not too distracting. Also increased the contrast of the overall picture.
    Do you think it looks better in mono? Please C&C

The mono is more gentle to the eyes. The original one i loved the blue lights but the bottom street and building lights were too strong..

agree with hotchoco1ate. i prefered how the sky in the original one turned out. then again, you can't have everything, the sky would've been too dark if you reduced the exposure of the lights just above the water

Smile Re: Marina Bay Sand

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    The mono is more gentle to the eyes. The original one i loved the blue lights but the bottom street and building lights were too strong..
    Quote Originally Posted by charliechaps View Post
    agree with hotchoco1ate. i prefered how the sky in the original one turned out. then again, you can't have everything, the sky would've been too dark if you reduced the exposure of the lights just above the water
    many thanks for the comments.
    I tried the combination of the blue lights and the monotone. Personally, I felt it looks a bit weird. What do you think?

Guess the whole thing being mono would be better than the one with blue lights.

I like it in mono as it emphasizes the lines more and drawing the viewer's eyes to the lights beaming out from the MBS without being distracted by the less significant lighting, i.e. window lights. Don't think the combo of blue lights and mono works coz somehow it doesn't gel very well and makes the overall composition look weird.. just my thoughts.
    Canon 7D, 50mm F1.4 | Tokina 12-24mm F4 | Tamron 18-270mm F3.5/6.3 VC Macro

I dunno abt others, but the first thing that struck me here is that is slanted. And its distracting me a lot, thus contributing to me not really appreciating the entire pic. It seems to throw off the balance of the total pic as a whole.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Many thanks for all your critiques. You had helped me view my photo differently.

It's a nice pic!
    Very attractive in colour, except for the overexposure on the bottom..

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    It's a nice pic!
    Very attractive in colour, except for the overexposure on the bottom..
    Thanks shaoken, glad you like it.

would personally crop out reflections here, since they are not particularly alluring.

lovely taken!
    "Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool"

Another attempt, based on night86mare advise to crop out the reflection. Added a border to it also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast