Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

  1. #1
    Member veera4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jurong, Singapore
    Posts
    23

    Default Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Hi,
    I was actually requested by a friend of mine to do a photoshoot for their kid's birthday party which is an indoor function and more of a playground setting which caters for around 20 kids and their accompanying adults (parents/relatives). I intend to bring along my kit lens 18-55 and 35mm together with my sb600 flash which i guess should be sufficient otherwise would appreciate some advice.

    i would also appreciate if you guys could provide me some insight on which metering will be considered apt for the above-mentioned scenario and some aperture/shutter speed setting advice will be greatly appreciated.

    thanks...

    ps: btw, you can see my signature for my list of equipment/lens i carry...tks...
    Nikon D5000 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 35mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    not expert here.

    dun think your 70-300mm (thats the good thing about displaying your equipments in your signature so we know what you are using!) is necessary here.

    if fact if i were you, i will just make do with a 35mm + SB600 (flash) then zoom around with your feet (need to bold this least someone brings in a different topic and another debate happens) cos i think you dun have time to change lens (waste time to change lens and you may miss that moments). And since there will be many kids, they will be moving about (as u know kids!), there isn't much time for you to change your lens also.
    Last edited by sinned79; 23rd August 2010 at 05:26 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Your kit lens would be sufficient since u are using an external flash. If not using the flash, then use your 35mm

  4. #4
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    just stick to the basics... evaluative, matrix metering..

    the more complex you try to get the more complicated it will be, and with children its about capturing those very fast moments that you don't have time to miss..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  5. #5
    Member veera4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jurong, Singapore
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    just stick to the basics... evaluative, matrix metering..

    the more complex you try to get the more complicated it will be, and with children its about capturing those very fast moments that you don't have time to miss..
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Your kit lens would be sufficient since u are using an external flash. If not using the flash, then use your 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    not expert here.

    dun think your 70-300mm (thats the good thing about displaying your equipments in your signature so we know what you are using!) is necessary here.

    if fact if i were you, i will just make do with a 35mm + SB600 (flash) then zoom around with your feet (need to bold this least someone brings in a different topic and another debate happens) cos i think you dun have time to change lens (waste time to change lens and you may miss that moments). And since there will be many kids, they will be moving about (as u know kids!), there isn't much time for you to change your lens also.
    wow...great advice guys and much appreciated...it means a lot to me...guess i just stick to my 35mm for the candids and spare my kit lens for any group/portrait shots if they require and matrix metering might just be the answer for the indoor venue less any mishap...

    Thank you very much for all advice and expertise...
    Nikon D5000 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 35mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

  6. #6

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Hi
    I suggest you bring along your 18-55mm so you can put more people into the same photo at 18mm.

    MY personal opinion from previous gathering at HDB unit.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    bring the 18-55mm, gonna be a problem if they want a super group photo and dont have the room to fit them all with the 35mm.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8
    Member veera4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jurong, Singapore
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    Hi
    I suggest you bring along your 18-55mm so you can put more people into the same photo at 18mm.

    MY personal opinion from previous gathering at HDB unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    bring the 18-55mm, gonna be a problem if they want a super group photo and dont have the room to fit them all with the 35mm.
    thanks guys...will definitely heed yr advice...18-55 is definitely IN...

    Happy weekend...
    Nikon D5000 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 35mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

  9. #9

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by veera4u View Post
    thanks guys...will definitely heed yr advice...18-55 is definitely IN...

    Happy weekend...
    actually i am planning to...finally SYOG over. And i got all that i needed.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Expertise & Choice for 1 yr old Kid's Birthday

    Quote Originally Posted by veera4u View Post
    thanks guys...will definitely heed yr advice...18-55 is definitely IN...

    Happy weekend...
    Have fun.

    remember to bounce the flash (point it upwards into the ceiling with a slight tilt forward). And if you are not sure of the settings, Just use P mode. And set ISO to around 400.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •