Thread: Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 (new or old) and Sigma 28-70mm f2.8

Default Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 (new or old) and Sigma 28-70mm f2.8

hi every one

dose anyone know (or experience) what are the pros and cons of these two lense, which lens is better in teams of sharpness when wide open (f2.8), thanks in advance.

for the lenses u mentioned, the general consensus is that thay are usually not sharp enough when wide open

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    for the lenses u mentioned, the general consensus is that thay are usually not sharp enough when wide open
    thanks for your advice, any idea which one slightly better ? i'm deciding which to buy. how about 2 stop smaller @ f5.6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Hehehe .... he wanted a comparision lah ..... No one in the right frame of mind will purchase the two pieces of lenses together.

The first site you give only show Sigma, the Second site you give, likewise. Bias towards Sigma, I see ..... now me give Tokina favourable site .... And a True Blue Lens Comparision Site ..... Whahahahahhaha

Tokina's Review

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...0_3128crx.aspx

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...4_3128crx.aspx

Comparision :

http://camerasystems.info/nonforum/querylenstxt.jsp?filter=%22brand='Canon%20EF'%20OR %20brand='Sigma%20AF'%20OR%20brand='Tamron%20AF'%2 0or%20brand='Tokina%20AF'%20or%20brand='Vivitar%20 AF'%22

The comparision site shows that even Tokina is a notch better, it is not much. Thus basically, these two lenses are similar in quality, just human perception on the lenses. Choose either one is good enough for you. .
    Last edited by blurblock; 17th May 2004 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    Yup, at f/2.8 (other then prime lens) not a lot of lens can be sharp enough. Even the infamous Canon "L" and Minolta "G" lens is not sharp enough (at least in my view).

The reason for f/2.8 is for those places where flashlights cannot be used while the pictures is still required. .....

Normally I will shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 if I have one of those 28-70 lens. But they are freaking heavy if I should say so myself ......
    Last edited by blurblock; 17th May 2004 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    L lens????
    Yup, at f/2.8 that is (it's pushing the limits actually) ..... but starting from f/4, I must say L lens is excellent .... I used to own some L lenses when I had a canon system ..... love it.....

Anyway, best to see for yourself ..... :

http://www.fredmiranda.com/24-70/

Notice the comparision of 24-70 and 28-70 at f/2.8 and f/4 respectively, you can see the sharpness difference .... pretty significent.
    Last edited by blurblock; 17th May 2004 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyLD
    thanks for your advice, any idea which one slightly better ? i'm deciding which to buy. how about 2 stop smaller @ f5.6 ?
    at 5.6 most f/2.8 lens are sharp enough

hi every one

dose anyone know (or experience) what are the pros and cons of these two lense, which lens is better in teams of sharpness when wide open (f2.8), thanks in advance.

Really thanks for all the advices, I will go to all these sites to check on the review and testing. One more question, compare with Canon 24-85mm f3.5-f4.5 or 28-105mm f3.4-f4.5. Are the f2.8 worth buying, just for the brighter lens (is it sharper at f5.6 compare to Canon with the same f stop, beside AF is slower) ? Thanks in advance.

Really thanks for all the advices, I will go to all these sites to check on the review and testing. One more question, compare with Canon 24-85mm f3.5-f4.5 or 28-105mm f3.4-f4.5. Are the f2.8 worth buying, just for the brighter lens (is it sharper at f5.6 compare to Canon with the same f stop, beside AF is slower) ? Thanks in advance.
    Normally, those that can go down to f/2.8 constant have better optics then those which are not. But it is not the rule of the thumb. At f/8 they might be similar, but at f/5.6 chances arethe f/2.8 version might still be better.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Normally, those that can go down to f/2.8 constant have better optics then those which are not. But it is not the rule of the thumb. At f/8 they might be similar, but at f/5.6 chances arethe f/2.8 version might still be better.
    thanks for your advice, I think you're right, I really like the extra few stops. let me go through all the review n will discuss with you again. cheers !!

Any comments on the differences (noticable visual) between the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80 f2.8 and the PRO SV version (other than the "paper" differences).

Cheers!

Default Is sharpness or resolution everything?

This is my 5 cents worth:
    When I shop for lens, sharpness/resolution and contrast is only one of the criteria. There are quite a few other aspects that are somewhat important. One of them is size and weight, as one has pointed out, and that goes with the filter size. Next is built quality and the reputation of the maker, here I would say Tokina is somewhat better if you ask any used gear shop. Then, also consider distortion and flare. Close focusing ability is another item to consider. And price is another big issue, together with resale value and how well the lens will sell in 2 or 5 years time.

In terms of weight and size, the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 wins by a big margin unless you're a weight training enthusiast or a big fan of a phallic symbol, or you have the "the bigger the barrel, the better" mentality.(Tua Kee)

Anyone know where i can find out more about the tamron 28-75 f2.8? Have not seen this lens anywhere! BTW, I'm looking for a Canon AF one. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman27
    Anyone know where i can find out more about the tamron 28-75 f2.8? Have not seen this lens anywhere! BTW, I'm looking for a Canon AF one. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Frankly speaking, I'm also quite confuse about these three brands, Tamron, Sigma and Tokina. Did anyone of you use any of these lens before and would like to share your expirence ?

I've used the Tokina 28-70 f2.8 Pro SV for about a year before I sold it to make way for a lighter lens in the same range. I have to say this is a splendid lens considering the fact that it is so affordable.

Pros: Sharp and contrasty. Sharpest at f8 and above for all focal lengths. The lens is also built like a tank and is one of those lens whose build quality I have absolute confidence in. Another thing I really like about this lens is the smooth focusing (really fast with my F5 too) and the ability to switch to manual focus with a unique built-in clutch mechanism. And an important advantage of this lens is the bright f2.8 aperture. This comes in useful for those occasions that you have no choice but to use f2.8. But image quality-wise, it is not very sharp at f2.8 across the focal range. Like most zoom lenses, you just have to find the 'sweet spots' in the focal range that give you what you want in your pictures. And lastly, don't forget that this lens can be used on both digital and film camera bodies. I used this lens with F90x, F5 and S2 Pro and it worked great for all of them (except I have a minor gripe with this lens mounted on S2 Pro - see below).

Cons: This lens is heavy. But then again, it is built to be a hardy and rugged lens so I felt the weight was expected of a lens of this quality. There is also a warm colour cast in images taken with this lens. I don't know if this a bad thing but I put it in the Cons category because I use an S2 Pro with this lens and the images often come out too warm for my liking. There's nothing much else I do not like about this lens.

If you have the money to burn (then you shouldn't have posted this thread), by all means get the top of the range glass i.e. Nikon AFS 28-70mm f2.8. There's no question it is the best zoom in the mid-focal range. But if like me, you want an affordable solution for amateur/semi-pro use, Tokina serves it up well with this great glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman27

Cheers!
    Used to have the Tokina 28-80 ATX Pro, Tamron 28-75 and Sigma 24-70 f2.8 in my cabinet but subsequently sold them as they were soft at f2.8. Had to buy the Nikon 28-70 AFS finally. However, as many has said, beyond this the sharpness improve and they are of similar standard in my opinion except the Tamron which gives very good color, contrast and slightly sharper. The Tokina is very solidly built like a tank whereas the Sigma is a little bulky. My favourite is still the Tamron.

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    Cons: There is also a warm colour cast in images taken with this lens. I don't know if this a bad thing but I put it in the Cons category because I use an S2 Pro with this lens and the images often come out too warm for my liking. There's nothing much else I do not like about this lens.
    Maybe you can either try different white balance setting or use a blue filter. I had to use Skylight 1B on one of my lens that was "too cool".

Cheers