Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Junk Digest #1 : Is Photography a Male Hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    the danger is that the child will not have the benefit of make-over and will expose the parent for the "ugly" person that he/she used to be (refer to story in today's papers about the 30 year old chinese woman who was *exposed* by her ugly baby and had to compensate her husband for his "wasted youth").
    Serious? Which paper?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    Once upon a time there was a young career photographer. He was talented, but he didn't have much money.

Nevertheless, because it was the mid-'60's and he was reacting to his depression/war era parents, he thought that money wasn't important — art always came first.

Consequently while as his peers, who were developing their careers alongside his, bought Nikon Fs, M series Leicas and Hasselblads, our hero had to satisfy himself using Pentax and Minoltas along with inexpensive third-party lenses from Tamron, Tokina and the like. He reveled in the simplicity of his ways.

And, our hero succeeded. His photographs, made with cheap cameras on even cheaper lenses were widely published in major magazines, his better work was collected by major galleries and national institutions, and he was able to make a decent living as a freelance photojournalist.

Meanwhile his colleagues and competitors continued to tease and distress him about his not using "the best".

Then the illness struck. He started to believe that they might be right. As quickly as he could he started to buy top rated cameras and lenses. Nikons, Leicas, Contax, Hasselblads — all the top brands. His family's life-style suffered as he plowed more and more money into the finest camera bodies and lenses available. Finally his career as well as his personal life were in jeopardy as his spending exceeded his financial abilities.

Years later he reviewed this period of his life. With hindsight he saw how in fact his best work from that time of his life was done when he was poor and using so-called "amateur equipment". There was a freshness and a clarity of vision that became veiled by the later obsession with lines/mm, titanium bodies, exotic lens elements and the like.

Today he can afford to buy whatever equipment he wishes — and he does, and enjoys every one of them. But, he always remembers the lesson that difficult period of his life taught him.
    So...the moral of the story is that the $50 lens that u got in a bargain store can give GREAT photos!

Wow.. jsut finished reading all the posts in this thread, from the main topic to the way of holding a camera grip to models to spending.. keke

Well, IMHO, i feel that more and more ladies are taking up photography and also I've notied lots of photographers here are pretty models as well. (e.g. Evildolly). In CS iteself, there is a fair share of lady photographers just that they don't post their shots as much.

Well, lets keep this thread discussion a friendly one... no please... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Violett
    Wow.. jsut finished reading all the posts in this thread, from the main topic to the way of holding a camera grip to models to spending.. keke

Well, IMHO, i feel that more and more ladies are taking up photography and also I've notied lots of photographers here are pretty models as well. (e.g. Evildolly). In CS iteself, there is a fair share of lady photographers just that they don't post their shots as much.

Well, lets keep this thread discussion a friendly one... no please... =)
    OR they are posting in their hidden section that only certified ladies and mods can see.

Quote Originally Posted by NiVleK
    Dude, it is not about the grip and who started what. Stop trying to change topics lah. It is how you phrase your posts and belittle others.

Grow up. Be a little more humble will not hurt.
    Sure, since your skin is so thin, I will watch out and not hurt your feelings in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    Sure, since your skin is so thin, I will watch out and not hurt your feelings in future.
    Oh? Again, you push the focus to me. The issue is how u are phrasing your post. Even this latest post is sacrastic at best.

I have noticed that many New CSers are doing this, i.e. typing without thinking. This is particularly to those that joined this year. I wonder why. A trend? I have tried not to bother when they simply shoot their mouth(fingers in the internet sense) off in other ppl's thread or towards other ppl's post. Even though this is the WWW, politeness and humbleness is something that should be always in place.

Now I am starting to realise why some Old birds here say offstone is a much nicer place. Hmmmz. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by NiVleK
    Oh? Again, you push the focus to me. The issue is how u are phrasing your post. Even this latest post is sacrastic at best.

I have noticed that many New CSers are doing this, i.e. typing without thinking. This is particularly to those that joined this year. I wonder why. A trend? I have tried not to bother when they simply shoot their mouth(fingers in the internet sense) off in other ppl's thread or towards other ppl's post. Even though this is the WWW, politeness and humbleness is something that should be always in place.

Now I am starting to realise why some Old birds here say offstone is a much nicer place. Hmmmz. Food for thought.
    Your skin is indeed thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    Your skin is indeed thin.
    OK, I give up. Like the saying goes, "The leopard nv changes its spots."

The skin never changes thickness (for some)
    ;>

Default Thanks For Contributing

OK! THanks for everyone's support to my first JUNK DIGEST !!

I guess its great to have so many replies from all of you.

So bottomline is SEXUAL EQUALITY!

and Best Way to Grip Camera will go to myself! With my Feet

And World Peace! If anyone was offended here in this thread... chill ! and Peace to YOU!

Moderator can you kindly close the thread ? Thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345