Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentax K-5 and KR

Default Re: Pentax K-5 and KR

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    I think its a marketing thing. If this DA 35 is say f1.8. Wont the sales of the DA 35 Limited and FA31 Limited be affected? Most of us will gladly choose the faster lens regardless of its size and build? Moreover its cheaper.
    should not matter what, since they said supply for FA is limited. There will sure be people who buy limited... like eg. those people in canikon that buy 50 1.8 as well as 50 1.4 . Besides pancakes on DSLR are unusual, and now small is the in thing for DSLR

And for the mass market entry level primes, if they want to ensure that there is a steady uptake they can just issue voucher or have those purchase with purchase promotion to let new buyers of pentax pick up those mass market primes. But I agree with you, veteran Pentax owners will also pick up the faster lenses, since it is faster and have wider appetures. Then Pentax also gets more profit.

But one thing to bear in mind, those cheap prime lenses from Nikon are actually made in China. Not too sure about Canon, cos they always claim their camera equipment is all made in Japan. Maybe Pentax finally got its Vietnam factory ready to churn out the primes we seek. (Now the yen is quite high and hard to do so at a competitive price if made in Japan)

I believe this lens release for the mass market is very important for Pentax as a company, and is overall in line with their strategy for producing value for money high performance DSLRs.
    Last edited by ammonite; 8th September 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ammonite View Post
    should not matter what, since they said supply for FA is limited. There will sure be people who buy limited... like eg. those people in canikon that buy 50 1.8 as well as 50 1.4 .
    That is because the 50 1.8 is dirt cheap compare to the 50 1.4. But this rumored DA 35 is suppose to be cheaper than the DA 35 Limited. If its a lot faster than the DA Limited, dont you think it will be affected?

That is because the 50 1.8 is dirt cheap compare to the 50 1.4. But this rumored DA 35 is suppose to be cheaper than the DA 35 Limited. If its a lot faster than the DA Limited, dont you think it will be affected?
    Yes I believe it will be affected, however there are people that still will buy, usually these people will buy both.

However you must weigh the advantages of having more new adopters to Pentax, with the availability of affordable lenses like the DA 35.

if you consider the Pentax limited compared to the major competitors like CZ, or the L lens, FX series, yes it is of good value, but still beyond what the entry level users who are new or what non professionals are willing to pay for prime lenses, given that there is a lot of alternatives already in the market. So in a way Pentax will be closing the market gap, providing a normal lens range, which they can profit from and all their customers both new and old will appreciate.

As for the pancake lenses, I stand corrected, as even Samsung is giving away pancake lens as kit lens for their NX 10. Too bad Samsung is no longer using the K mount.

I think its a marketing thing. If this DA 35 is say f1.8. Wont the sales of the DA 35 Limited and FA31 Limited be affected? Most of us will gladly choose the faster lens regardless of its size and build? Moreover its cheaper.
    As it stands, there is currently the FA 35mm f/2 to go head to head with the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited and the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited. And you're not even considering the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited or the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited (which are close enough in terms of field of view) into the equation. If you talk about cannibalizing respective sales, it's already happening for quite some time already. If the FA 35mm f/2 is to be redesigned as a DA 35mm f/2 (or faster) to keep the lens designs similar, then I think it is a good idea, but the image circle must cover 35mm FF.

But seriously, why should there be yet another lens of 35mm focal length?
    Introducing a DA 28mm or a DA 24mm that is f/2 or faster would be a terrific lens for street candids, reportage, event shooting and available light photography. I'm also asking for a new 100mm and 135mm that's f/2 or faster and a reintroduction of the 200mm f/4 Macro. Plus a complete overhaul of the flash system. Is that asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    I'm also asking for a new 100mm and 135mm that's f/2 or faster and a reintroduction of the 200mm f/4 Macro. Plus a complete overhaul of the flash system. Is that asking too much?
    hahaha Maybe got to wait a few years....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post

But seriously, why should there be yet another lens of 35mm focal length?
    Introducing a DA 28mm or a DA 24mm that is f/2 or faster would be a terrific lens for street candids, reportage, event shooting and available light photography. I'm also asking for a new 100mm and 135mm that's f/2 or faster and a reintroduction of the 200mm f/4 Macro. Plus a complete overhaul of the flash system. Is that asking too much?
    Of course not .................... your wish is their command ...................... might also want to wish for better AF while you are at it ...............
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Just got an update from Pentaxforums.

More info on the new K-5.

See email content:
    ===============

Dear fellow Pentaxians,

Yesterday, we witnessed the official announcement of the Pentax K-r, a mid-level camera starting at $799 with features vastly improved over the K-x. Pentaxians have spoken, and Pentax listened! Highlights of this new body include ISO up to 25600, a 6 FPS shutter, dual power source (AA's or rechargeable battery), and improved autofocus. To view the complete specifications, check out our camera facts table: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...entax-k-r.html

More importantly, however, we would like to turn your attention to the Pentax K-5, the new professional DSLR from Pentax. This camera will feature an 8FPS shutter, vastly improved action autofocus with 18 focusing points, faster and more accurate overall AF performance, a 16.2 megapixel sensor with ISO up to 25,600, and several other refinements over the K-7. Specifications can be viewed here, and we invite you to participate in the forum discussion on this camera as well: http://www.pentaxforums.com/What-about-the-Pentax-K-5

The K-5 is expected to be announced on September 20th, and it will be available for purchase in October.

Best Regards,
    PentaxForums.com

Note: please do not respond to this e-mail. Unsubscribe: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/misc.php?do=unsub

===========

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Just got an update from Pentaxforums.

More info on the new K-5.
    More importantly, however, we would like to turn your attention to the Pentax K-5, the new professional DSLR from Pentax. This camera will feature an 8FPS shutter, vastly improved action autofocus with 18 focusing points, faster and more accurate overall AF performance, a 16.2 megapixel sensor with ISO up to 25,600, and several other refinements over the K-7....

The K-5 is expected to be announced on September 20th, and it will be available for purchase in October.

18 AF points?! this will be the replacement for my K-x
    hoping ill have $$ by that time .. is there any rumoured pricing for K-5?

edit:
    ive read the link. rumoured price is $1699..
    Last edited by clownpo09; 12th September 2010 at 02:35 AM.

The Specs VERY TEMPTING!! but maybe I just wait even after it releases. Wait for FW to give reviews. Hahaha
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Rumored price US$1699 so S$2279

that is almost the rate for a full frame DSLR. It is not supposed to replace the K7, but is supposed to be a higher level model than the K7

But seems like the specs to pricing are a bit wrong. The sensor is already out there from Sony, they can make a full frame. And then now the link to the specs also dissappeared.

Why is the K5 on again then off again. Is it just a rumor or for real?

Arrgh sorry for the confusing post

Rumored price US$1699 so S$2279

that is almost the rate for a full frame DSLR. It is not supposed to replace the K7, but is supposed to be a higher level model than the K7

But seems like the specs to pricing are a bit wrong. The sensor is already out there from Sony, they can make a full frame. And then now the link to the specs also dissappeared.

Why is the K5 on again then off again. Is it just a rumor or for real?

Arrgh sorry for the confusing post
    Its only the price of a 7D right?
    Abt the same sensor specs, but SR, new HDR, backward lens compatibilty and hopefully Kx class JPEG high ISO performance.
    FF is 3K+
    If ISO performance is as good as Kx, it will be comparable to FF in that respect. It can be argued both ways regarding DOF control and crop factor advantages.

The spec is right. Its a high end model. Aim for the Kr for a lower tier pricing. The K5 would be their 'best' camera to date.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 12th September 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Eagerly looking forward to this camera, but perhaps not at the MSRP (unless its really as good as a 7D). The price will certainly fall over time, hopefully by CNY it will be around $1.8k, then it will be very hard to resist.

Anyway, Photokina is only next week, soon the truth will be out!

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Its only the price of a 7D right?
    Abt the same sensor specs, but SR, new HDR, backward lens compatibilty and hopefully Kx class JPEG high ISO performance.
    FF is 3K+
    If ISO performance is as good as Kx, it will be comparable to FF in that respect. It can be argued both ways regarding DOF control and crop factor advantages.

The spec is right. Its a high end model. Aim for the Kr for a lower tier pricing. The K5 would be their 'best' camera to date.

I don't really understand how KX ISO performance will be comparable to FF in that respect, you mean to say a high ISO performance will make up for the lack of FF in that price bracket range?

I just hope that the K5 is indeed still on. Just like Nikon, they only release details for their entry level before photokina. But Pentax entry level is above its class, or even 1 class above. So ofcourse I have high expectations for the K5.

Full frame is quite easy for Pentax, since all the lenses are backward compatible.

But one thing to bear in mind, those cheap prime lenses from Nikon are actually made in China. Not too sure about Canon, cos they always claim their camera equipment is all made in Japan. Maybe Pentax finally got its Vietnam factory ready to churn out the primes we seek. (Now the yen is quite high and hard to do so at a competitive price if made in Japan)

When u say 'they always claim', who r the they?

I had several 50 1.8 before, all from japan.
    But I do have a body n lens that's more expansive though not made in japan.

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    When u say 'they always claim', who r the they?

I had several 50 1.8 before, all from japan.
    But I do have a body n lens that's more expansive though not made in japan.
    alamak how come become those type type of who say u say thread , just a summary I got from all an old thread that give an introduction about the advantages, disadvantages and charecteristics of each brand. But mainly on Canon n Nikon.

Nikon bodies made by their factory in Thailand.

Canon DSLR and lenses, they stated all made in Japan. Don't know if it is still true today, but if so I am amazed that the prices are more or less competitive with those not made in Japan products.

I don't really understand how KX ISO performance will be comparable to FF in that respect, you mean to say a high ISO performance will make up for the lack of FF in that price bracket range?

I just hope that the K5 is indeed still on. Just like Nikon, they only release details for their entry level before photokina. But Pentax entry level is above its class, or even 1 class above. So ofcourse I have high expectations for the K5.

Full frame is quite easy for Pentax, since all the lenses are backward compatible.

Just look at the samples picts at 100%.
    Kx is very close to a D700 at ISO3200
    D700 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0INBI03200.HTM
    Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...XINBI03200.HTM

Of course I am hopeful and assuming Pentax manages to do the same magic on the K5.
    Low noise at high ISO has been one of the advantages of a FF camera. As mentioned the other is DOF (or rather the lack of), which is a pro and con depending on needs.

He is saying that there are 3 main differences between APS-C and FF - DOF, Crop factor and ISO. There are pros and cons in terms of DOF and Crop factor, neither really holds a clear advantage for all situations, but ISO performance is where FF holds a definite advantage. But even this is being challenged by new APS-C sensors with very good iso performance (e.g. K-x).

FF iso performance will of course continue to improve as well, but it has reached the point of diminishing returns. 12,800 iso from the K-x is very, very good already, are you willing to spend 3-4x the cost for maybe 1-2x better iso perfomance from a FF?

alamak how come become those type type of who say u say thread , just a summary I got from all an old thread that give an introduction about the advantages, disadvantages and charecteristics of each brand. But mainly on Canon n Nikon.

Nikon bodies made by their factory in Thailand.

Canon DSLR and lenses, they stated all made in Japan. Don't know if it is still true today, but if so I am amazed that the prices are more or less competitive with those not made in Japan products.
    The Canon 50mm 1.8 prime is Made in Malaysia. There may be MIJ version too. I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Just look at the samples picts at 100%.
    Kx is very close to a D700 at ISO3200
    D700 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0INBI03200.HTM
    Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...XINBI03200.HTM

Of course I am hopeful and assuming Pentax manages to do the same magic on the K5.
    Low noise at high ISO has been one of the advantages of a FF camera. As mentioned the other is DOF (or rather the lack of), which is a pro and con depending on needs.
    Yes I see your point about the high ISO of Pentax being very competitive. The lack of DOF in FF is one factor which I did not know of. But for me the crop factor is one factor I do not want in a body.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    He is saying that there are 3 main differences between APS-C and FF - DOF, Crop factor and ISO. There are pros and cons in terms of DOF and Crop factor, neither really holds a clear advantage for all situations, but ISO performance is where FF holds a definite advantage. But even this is being challenged by new APS-C sensors with very good iso performance (e.g. K-x).

FF iso performance will of course continue to improve as well, but it has reached the point of diminishing returns. 12,800 iso from the K-x is very, very good already, are you willing to spend 3-4x the cost for maybe 1-2x better iso perfomance from a FF?
    No I am not willing to spend on the higher end full frame like D700, but certainly find it very tempting to top up a few hundred $ in order to get a no frills full frame like the Alpha 850.
    http://www.sony.com.sg/productcatego...ha-dslr-camera

But ofcourse, would prefer if it were from Pentax.

Yes I see your point about the high ISO of Pentax being very competitive. The lack of DOF in FF is one factor which I did not know of. But for me the crop factor is one factor I do not want in a body.
    i like crop factor gives me more range on macro shoots.

anyway, FF vs APS-C, this discussion can go on till the cows come home... ultimately its a matter of preference. there's always something for everybody, if not from pentax, then from another brand.

as consumers, we just have to know our needs, do our research, and vote with our wallets.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast