Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Networking

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Linkster
    but i thought this would oni work with a ethernet modem? mine is a USB modem.. would it still work?

or do u mean replace the modem with a router directly?

You can change the modem into a ADSL wireless router. Think it's the fastest & easiest way

Sometimes the client PC can track the other available networks other than the preferred network, like "Linksys", "SH00XX00X", "ANY"

Does that mean the router of these users are still broadcasting the SSID? Ocassionally I can connect to such network....quite innocently lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Aton
    Sometimes the client PC can track the other available networks other than the preferred network, like "Linksys", "SH00XX00X", "ANY"

Does that mean the router of these users are still broadcasting the SSID? Ocassionally I can connect to such network....quite innocently lah.
    Exactly! These people have not secured their networks... very bad!

And the linksys guy very bad for not even bothering to change his SSID from the default value (as linksys clearly state in their manuals).

Deregistered

Huh? The SSID has to be changed manually on every connecting device? Ie, we set the SSID manually in the settings to connect and disable broadcasting right?

I read about the SSID broadcasting somewhere and how it was unsafe... so this is it...

Once I get my wireless card... I'm snooping around the office heehee...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Huh? The SSID has to be changed manually on every connecting device? Ie, we set the SSID manually in the settings to connect and disable broadcasting right?

I read about the SSID broadcasting somewhere and how it was unsafe... so this is it...

Maybe in future it will become free to air like TV, then everyone will pay licensed fee to Starhub or Singtel depends on what account we use.
    Dunno good or not.

Easiest way to do this is change the SSID on your router first, configure all your clients and make sure they can connect to the router, then disable SSID broadcast on router. You can also disbale broadcast first, but then you will need to enter the SSID manually on each client.

Deregistered

Thanks! I think I understand it now, still got a lot more challenges ahead in configuring the router to allow certain ports and block probings!

Whee...!

Been reading this thread, and I think one of your questions not answered ... your router will be the DHCP server, but I think you probably already guessed that.

One more data point ... I have a Linksys WRT54G, and signal strength is not too good, may need to replace antennae. However, the other day I was sitting in my car in a URA carpark near some flats, and I picked up a Motorola SSID broadcast. (No, I wasn't mucking around, just trying to get some work done while waiting to pick up someone )

Therefore, disable SSID broadcast, and change the SSID as well, to something that's gibberish so that it cannot be guessed. And there's good advice from others in this thread ... set up MAC filtering & WEP encryption.

This weak WLAN signal may be advantageous as well ... that means others can't pick up your signal that well. I just wish I could change the antenna on my notebook cards.

Deregistered

Thanks for the note on the antennae, urm, how do I go around upgrading the antennae. Was actually looking at this model that you just mentioned.

Yeah, I know the router will be doing the DHCP, but was thinking that if the SSID broadcast is disabled would the DHCP still be working, guess I didn't bother to think if a server is not DHCP, you can still manually set the IP, so goes the same for SSID.

SSID broadcast does not affect ability for router to do DHCP. I have SSID broadcast off, MAC filtering, WEP encryption and DHCP works just fine on my network. No need to manually assign any IP addresses.

Royce is correct ... SSID & DHCP are not inter-related.

Antennae on WRT54G can be changed, just unscrew. However, like I said, if your signal super-strong, then people who are ... I forget the term, but they go around with strong notebook antennae breaking into unsecured networks ... will be able to pick up your signal easier. Even 128-bit WEP is not fully secure against a determined attack ... but it's a lot of trouble for people to go through to pick up on your clubsnap posts

Best to ask around, then figure out what you want. Linksys, as you may know, is owned by Cisco now. Been using mine for a year without problems (no, belay that ... for the first week I could not get WEP going properly, kept on dropping the signal even when the laptop was next to the router ... I think it went away after I had to reinstall my OS & drivers, so it could be a driver update that fixed it).

Good luck ... there are many choices out there, and most are quite affordable. Been using Cisco, Compaq, Netgear client cards (801.11b & g) without issues.

Eric

Some questions:

1) Can I off my PC (which used to act as a DHCP/Gateway for my other connections) and leave the router on 24/7 instead? The wireless will work still right?

2) Any recommendations for the above hardware requirements?

3) Anything else I need?

yeah baby, I'm da man to ask, if you know me, ya know what I'm working as. So let's get to the point.

1) Yes.

why ? Your router is still connected to your cable modem. Your router stored the firmware which of coz also store the configuration.

2) No, you router does not depand on your PC/lappy.

3) It depands on what you need.

That's about all. It is very easy to configure, just follow the instruction.
    Objection !!!

Deregistered

Thanks ninelives, how about I buy you a bowl of BCM @ Peninsula and you drop by my house to set it up? You're da man Heeeheee.

Should be making my purchase this weekend if I can get to SLS, many thanks.

Deregistered

Anybody can help? I've plugged the wire into my wireless router from the SCV cable modem, but it's unable to resolve an IP from the ISP.

However my PC connecting to the router is able to see it and receive and IP but unable to connect to internet.

Can anybody help?

Your PC is receiving the IP from your router and not the internet....

The reason why you have no internet connection from your cable modem is that you have to off the power of the cable modem and router first...

Switch on the cable modem and wait for all the lights to be steady green...

Switch on the router...

Try again.....you should have connection now....

Deregistered

Yep thanks... a couple of great guys in #clubsnap IRC channel advised doing it the microsoft way and it worked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12