Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

  1. #1

    Default macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    hi, i've a 450d with 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f1.8.

    i'm considering getting a macro lens, one that i can also use for portrait.
    not much intention to go into macro macro and shooting of insects.
    more for flowers, pets, babies, etc.

    initially, i rounded down to both 60mm lenses, since 90mm doesn't seem suitable.

    tamron SP AF 60mm F/2.0 Di II LD 1:1
    canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM

    any opinions about both lenses or other recommendations?

    i also wonder if macro zoom lenses (yeah i get that they're not 1:1) are worth it? :/
    like Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro or Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD (IF) Macro.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,759

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    hi, i've a 450d with 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm f1.8.

    i'm considering getting a macro lens, one that i can also use for portrait.
    not much intention to go into macro macro and shooting of insects.
    more for flowers, pets, babies, etc.

    initially, i rounded down to both 60mm lenses, since 90mm doesn't seem suitable.

    tamron SP AF 60mm F/2.0 Di II LD 1:1
    canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM

    any opinions about both lenses or other recommendations?

    i also wonder if macro zoom lenses (yeah i get that they're not 1:1) are worth it? :/
    like Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro or Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD (IF) Macro.
    Forget about the zoom macros as they do not really go down to the true 1:1 reproduction ratios. If you have the cash, then go for the Canon.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Member jsprtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CEntral
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro or Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD (IF) Macro.
    These Lens are not macro lens. I will sure go for a dedicated macro lens but u have to be aware of mini focal distance @ 60mm it can be too short.

  4. #4
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    canon 60mm or 100mm...

    both are very good and nice to use~!

    rent and try first lor, maybe for you the 100 too tight, cos crop body..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  5. #5

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    If you are tighter on budget, the SP AF90mm F/2.8 is a very decent lens at its price

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    If you are tighter on budget, the SP AF90mm F/2.8 is a very decent lens at its price
    2nd that. 60mm won't be sufficient for insect.
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  7. #7
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    2nd that. 60mm won't be sufficient for insect.
    Actually if you notice, TS already stated not for insects..

    read his first post, he say one~! lol..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  8. #8

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    Actually if you notice, TS already stated not for insects..

    read his first post, he say one~! lol..
    Haha but he did ask for other recommendations, guess our 2 cents worth falls under the "other recommendations" category

  9. #9

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    ah. i get the point that prime lenses are a much better choice then!

    based on reviews and budget, i'm stuck between canon and tamron's 60mm!
    especially since, yes, 90mm seems too tight for crop body, though it seems really awesome for its price!

    thanks so much guys, for the other recommendations, hahaha

    anyone tried canon and tamron's 60mm though? :P

  10. #10

    Default Re: macro lens: canon or tamron, zoom or not?

    Read the reviews online...
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •