Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2237424546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part IV)

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part IV)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For indoor shots mostly. To cover the wide end. Match it with a 2nd body with 50/1.4. Will be a 2 lens 2 body event combo. Good for weddings, events, kids etc.

I find F2.8 is not really fast enough for indoor with lower lighting. If not, I would have just used my 17-50 tamron. Nikon 24/1.4 will be perfect. But the price is just too unacceptable for me right now.
    I see, fast lens for indoor event shots. Thanks.
    Other than the softness and metering problem, it seems like there is very little or no barrel distortion. Potentially, a very good lens.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Sorry bro, didnt know abt the metering problem with the older batches, i tried once at OP it seems to work find, thinks the one i tested is a newer batch, but seriously 24 on a crop body it aint that wide for indoors, thats to my impression and personal opinion....

U shld give a last chance at the lens at OP, provided they still have stock, before u make the final jump,

think he got some side projects of his own ma, with baby coming up never hurts to have more cash....
    One thing about testing in shops, don't especially for low lighting purposes.... coz, they have VERY good lighting there - look up and see how many florescent tubes directly above you...how do you test for low lighting there then?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Blog Entries

Sorry bro, didnt know abt the metering problem with the older batches, i tried once at OP it seems to work find, thinks the one i tested is a newer batch, but seriously 24 on a crop body it aint that wide for indoors, thats to my impression and personal opinion....

U shld give a last chance at the lens at OP, provided they still have stock, before u make the final jump,

think he got some side projects of his own ma, with baby coming up never hurts to have more cash....
    Yea, 24mm on a DX will become 36mm like a wide-normal lens. Just that when shooting have to have some workarounds. But 24mm will also be ok when I move to FX. So it can still be used.

I will see how la. Maybe go try that lens at OP. But looking at so many pictures online, it seems to be very weak at wide apertures when focusing at objects far off.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    One thing about testing in shops, don't especially for low lighting purposes.... coz, they have VERY good lighting there - look up and see how many florescent tubes directly above you...how do you test for low lighting there then?
    THat is why i always take the lens out of the shop to test or ~ahem~ play with.... never once i tried it in the shop itself.... unless if its some shop i go to, request to off some of the shop lights....

Neways bro, how the hunt for a new fast telephoto coming along...
    Last edited by akerue; 2nd September 2010 at 01:26 PM.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

THat is why i always take the lens out of the shop to test or ~ahem~ play with.... never once i tried it in the shop itself.... unless if its some shop i go to, request to off some of the shop lights....

Neways bro, how the hunt for a new fast telephoto coming along...
    Nah... I'm not planning to get it anytime soon. It is a long term hunt, I'm a slow buyer...consider for very long before getting it... maybe by then something else comes up, maybe price drops like mad...

Yea, 24mm on a DX will become 36mm like a wide-normal lens. Just that when shooting have to have some workarounds. But 24mm will also be ok when I move to FX. So it can still be used.

I will see how la. Maybe go try that lens at OP. But looking at so many pictures online, it seems to be very weak at wide apertures when focusing at objects far off.
    looking weak at wide apertures is it not that a common sigma prob, i have not much experience with Sigma lenses, except the old 24-70 2.8 dg macro, which at wide open is horrible, CA are on a high, stopping down to F4 than it helps a lot actually,

Hope u get what u want...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Nah... I'm not planning to get it anytime soon. It is a long term hunt, I'm a slow buyer...consider for very long before getting it... maybe by then something else comes up, maybe price drops like mad...
    actually theres another to lens to consider, the sigma 120-300 2.8 hsm but no OS, one hell of a lens, think its second hand price arnd 3k++ thanks to sigma price hike, never had extensive use of the lens, but the brief try out at TCW, im quite impressed.... just giving u option...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

actually theres another to lens to consider, the sigma 120-300 2.8 hsm but no OS, one hell of a lens, think its second hand price arnd 3k++ thanks to sigma price hike, never had extensive use of the lens, but the brief try out at TCW, im quite impressed.... just giving u option...
    Can consider third parties. But as usual, they usually do not hold their resale value well - in case you REALLY need to let it go... Thanks for the heads-up though, will look at it in detail when I do research.

Can consider third parties. But as usual, they usually do not hold their resale value well - in case you REALLY need to let it go... Thanks for the heads-up though, will look at it in detail when I do research.
    no prob, coz im looking at it too, its either the sigma, or nikon very own 200-400 which gonna straight away send me to the gallows if CFO find out i have the very intention of getting it...

still thats another year of saving up...

(its just a want not even a need...)
    Last edited by akerue; 2nd September 2010 at 01:43 PM.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Blog Entries

Actually some shops are quite dark. Especially OP, it is not very bright in there.

looking weak at wide apertures is it not that a common sigma prob, i have not much experience with Sigma lenses, except the old 24-70 2.8 dg macro, which at wide open is horrible, CA are on a high, stopping down to F4 than it helps a lot actually,

Hope u get what u want...
    Yea bro. But 24/1.8 seems strongest among the 3 wide primes (20/1.8, 24/1.8, 28/1.8). The weakest is 20/1.8. The news on the streets is that it will be discontinued very soon. At such a large aperture with such a wide focal length, something's gotta give. And in this case, infinity focus wide open. Problem is, at 600+ back then, I can still justify it. At 900, very hard bro. I also believe the matrix metering underexposure is only happening in the older batches. Newer batches seems ok. Maybe because they implemented a new chip in the newer batches, which made their costs go up, and thus the price increase? Anyone's guess.

Thing is, if I have to stop down to F2.8, there is no point already, since i can just use my 17-50/2.8 tamron, which is pretty much quite sharp wide open.

So have to rethink the strategy. 20mm -> 24mm is 4mm difference. Just a step or 2. FOV is from 30mm -> 36mm. 6mm = which equates to a step or two as well. But the 24 has much closer focusing, which may help also, especially when moving in closer to shoot.

no prob, coz im looking at it too, its either the sigma, or nikon very own 200-400 which gonna straight away send me to the gallows if CFO find out i have the very intention of getting it...

still thats another year of saving up...

(its just a want not even a need...)
    Nope... 3000 plus lens is already the most extreme I can justify in terms of spending for lens at amature level. Hence I will not look above those, not when I'm not earning my keeps with the shoots. And if I do spend, it better be damn worth the $$, don't want to spend time going to SC or B n S... I'm my own CFO, but I will only spend when I feel comfortable with it (not in the red)...at this point, I'm very prudent, so I'm taking my sweet time.

Actually some shops are quite dark. Especially OP, it is not very bright in there.
    I've been to OP several times, maybe it's just me. While it is indeed darker than most shops (like TK), I feel that it may not be enough to test for low lights. Maybe my low light requirement is too low... Dunno. Judging from your test photos, I think OP is brighter than that. Probably due to using florescent lights versus dim yellow warm lights.

Blog Entries

I've been to OP several times, maybe it's just me. While it is indeed darker than most shops (like TK), I feel that it may not be enough to test for low lights. Maybe my low light requirement is too low... Dunno. Judging from your test photos, I think OP is brighter than that. Probably due to using florescent lights versus dim yellow warm lights.
    The test shots were taken at a coffeehouse located at city hall mrt, right beside breadtalk.

So have to rethink the strategy. 20mm -> 24mm is 4mm difference. Just a step or 2. FOV is from 30mm -> 36mm. 6mm = which equates to a step or two as well. But the 24 has much closer focusing, which may help also, especially when moving in closer to shoot.
    think u have found the solution yourself, in that case go for the 24 1.8....

Nope... 3000 plus lens is already the most extreme I can justify in terms of spending for lens at amature level. Hence I will not look above those, not when I'm not earning my keeps with the shoots. And if I do spend, it better be damn worth the $$, don't want to spend time going to SC or B n S... I'm my own CFO, but I will only spend when I feel comfortable with it (not in the red)...at this point, I'm very prudent, so I'm taking my sweet time.
    nice, like i say i support u, if i ever get some of lens we have mentioned here and in the other thread in hand for a couple of days, i sure to give u a call, and let u play test roll around with it, nothin better than testing it out in real time rather than shop time... wink wink
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

nice, like i say i support u, if i ever get some of lens we have mentioned here and in the other thread in hand for a couple of days, i sure to give u a call, and let u play test roll around with it, nothin better than testing it out in real time rather than shop time... wink wink
    Thanks for the offer. You're too kind. I'll treat you to a cuppa then.

Thanks for the offer. You're too kind. I'll treat you to a cuppa then.
    nah no prob, just helping a fellow out, that how i was treated when i first started in video and photo...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

wah the pricing for this lens is so ex, but its japan pricing shld be a bit cheaper in singapore when it hits the shelves...

BBB anyone...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Tokina-AT-X-1...49wt_754<br />

wah can complete my 3rd party trinity,
    tokina 16-28, tamron 28-75, and yes unfortunately the sigma 70-200
    Last edited by akerue; 2nd September 2010 at 06:55 PM.
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Blog Entries

wah the pricing for this lens is so ex, but its japan pricing shld be a bit cheaper in singapore when it hits the shelves...

BBB anyone...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Tokina-AT-X-1...49wt_754<br />

wah can complete my 3rd party trinity,
    tokina 16-28, tamron 28-75, and yes unfortunately the sigma 70-200
    niceeeeeeeee

Bert, are you going to join us on this coming saturday outing?
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS
    5D3 + Luxury Lenses|Hope To Make Someone Happy By Showing My Pictures|

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
    I believe so. He just put his name in the list
    エイドリアン-D700|D90|T11-16 f/2.8|S20 f/1.8|35 f/2D|35-70 f/2.8D|50 f/1.4D|85 f/3.5 Micro|70-300VR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs View Post
    Yes sir. I just signed myself up...

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2237424546474849 ... LastLast