Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2136414445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part IV)

Blog Entries

Default Re: [SunChasersSG] - TCSS thread (Part IV)

sian... I am finally giving up on the Sigma 20/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Bro, why leh? tot u said wanna wait... or jus place order with TK la.. did u call up Iphoto, OP and MS?
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

woah what happen, thought u got a meet-up for the 20 1.8 today...??

think OP got stock...
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

What happen bro???
    A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.

Quote Originally Posted by winkoo88 View Post
    What happen bro???
    this means he has found a "new love" and have to put his "ex-love" on the chopping board....
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Maybe seller aeroplane on him. One of the worst things to happen.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Hey Wildcat... did you post this Male Bodybuilder Available for Hire??

Congrats

Friday I very busy.. have to go ICA. wife's PR approved already...
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Hey Wildcat... did you post this Male Bodybuilder Available for Hire??
    Very funny yeah, I saw that also, when he posted in the same thread. I wish I could qualify. I think my CEO also wish I could qualify

Wish only hor... dun ask me go train with NNB

Friday I very busy.. have to go ICA. wife's PR approved already...
    Oh great! Congrats!!
    (I was still trying to figure out what's ICA, then after zz, I geddit)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Bro, why leh? tot u said wanna wait... or jus place order with TK la.. did u call up Iphoto, OP and MS?
    Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    woah what happen, thought u got a meet-up for the 20 1.8 today...??

think OP got stock...
    The one I saw, the lens is in very very good condition. But funny thing is, when I use matrix metering, it underexposes everything by 1 full stop. Tested like crazy on my D300s but that is the consistent result. When on spot meter, it works ok. When attached to the seller's D70 on matrix metering, no problem whatsoever. I think it has something to do with being a older batch. I read that older 20/1.8 have exposure issues with newer EOS models like 40D/50D while working perfectly with 10D. Something about the chip in the lens not compatible with newer metering systems. Maybe this is the case with Nikon mount as well. Here are the test pics. No adjustments, just straight out of cam.

Matrix metering @ F/1.8

click to download full size (very large)

Spot Meter center AF point @ F/1.8

click to download full size (very large)

Another thing. When I reached home last night, I loaded the test pics into my PC. I looked at the pictures, and I realized one of the characteristics of the lens, which made the lens looked bad in the reviews. When at large apertures from F4 to F1.8, if you focus on far objects, it looks very cloudy. Here is a 100% crop of the center of a test pic. Focus is on the man in the flowery shirt. No adjustments, just straight out of cam. And yes, note the underexposure too, as this is shot in matrix metering mode.

Click for large version

Compare this to my Nikon 50/1.4. Shot at F/1.8 and matrix metering, focused at around the same distance.... blows the sigma away.

Click for large version (very large)

Now a little sian. The lens is not that great. At wide apertures it shoots ok for nearer subjects (around 1m to 15m). For far objects at wide apertures, it is terrible. Only when you stop down to around F4, the problem goes away. I also notice when I stop down to smaller apertures, the underexposure problem with matrix meter gets less pronounced. But still a little underexposed, shot at F/3.2 matrix metering. Notice that it also also much sharper than F/1.8 and the 'cloudiness' is almost gone.

Click for large pic (very large)

One thing about the lens, bokeh is really very very nice. And seriously, when using this lens I will be shooting near subjects a lot instead of focusing to far subjects. But at the current new pricing of around 900 dollars, it is very hard to justify this lens with such a glaring issue with being not sharp wide open at inifinity. I read that the 24/1.8 does not show this problem. And the 24 is cheaper at slightly over 700. Some people say the 35mm FOV is good because it does not distort people. But it is a lot tighter than a 30mm FOV or 26mm FOV.... Need to rethink the whole thing all over again.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd September 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Now a little sian. The lens is not that great. At wide apertures it shoots ok for nearer subjects (around 1m to 15m). For far objects at wide apertures, it is terrible. Only when you stop down to around F4, the problem goes away. I also notice when I stop down to smaller apertures, the underexposure problem with matrix meter gets less pronounced.
    Yeah, the image is horribly cloudy, almost ghostly. Perhaps you could try out a newer batch from the shops to see if they have these problems. Sigma updates their lenses from time to time and the 20mm has been around awhile i think.
    Vision is more important than gear

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Very funny yeah, I saw that also, when he posted in the same thread. I wish I could qualify. I think my CEO also wish I could qualify

Wish only hor... dun ask me go train with NNB
    This is something you can surprise her on your wedding night.... I mean the six packs...

DD123... have you consider getting the lens calibrated? I have came across a few of times peeps here mentioning about how soft the sigma lens was until it is calibrated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaz1 View Post
    Yeah, the image is horribly cloudy, almost ghostly. Perhaps you could try out a newer batch from the shops to see if they have these problems. Sigma updates their lenses from time to time and the 20mm has been around awhile i think.
    The most frustrating thing is the underexposure issue in matrix metering. Every time Nikon or Canon moves to a new metering system, they license their API out to 3rd party lens makers, I think. For the Canonmount ones, I read that many people had to bring their 20/1.8 to sigma SC to get the lens re-chipped for it to work well. Sigma was either slow in getting their new chips in or something else... I think it might be the same issue for Nikonmount also.

Older Sigma batches of 20/1.8 were very cheap, sold new at around 650 SGD including GST as late as mid 2009 in most reputable stores. It got a sudden price hike last year and is now selling for 880-900 SGD new. Could it be due to some improvements? Akerue told me he doubt so. But I am pretty sure the new batches should work well with the newer metering systems (according to what I read).

I can test this lens in the shops, but problem is this. Sigma 20/1.8 is very rare and both TK and SLR-R have to custom order one in if I want it. And if it is a custom order, I will have to accept the lens and go to Sigma SC if there is problem... Making it a hard sell for me. OP has stock I think, but they quoted 900. I think can bargin down. But thing is, with actual performance like this, do I still want this lens? Or go for 24/1.8 instead? Or just use my 17-50/2.8... ? Lots of questions I need to sort out.

That is why so sian.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd September 2010 at 09:03 AM.

I can test this lens in the shops, but problem is this. Sigma 20/1.8 is very rare and both TK and SLR-R have to custom order one in if I want it. And if it is a custom order, I will have to accept the lens and go to Sigma SC if there is problem... Making it a hard sell for me. OP has stock I think, but they quoted 900. I think can bargin down. But thing is, with actual performance like this, do I still want this lens? Or go for 24/1.8 instead? Or just use my 17-50/2.8... ? Lots of questions I need to sort out.

That is why so sian.
    For a price hike by that much it can't be accountable just by the forex rates alone. I think they must have made improvements to the lens. You should try out the OP stock first before going for the other lenses as this is your first choice, no harm going all the way to get what you want. You know the performance for a 2 year old lens, it may not be the "actual performance" for a new one today. If they sell a $900 lens with such bad ghosting effects, Sigma rep will go down the drain for sure but looking at their marketing stance, they wanna position themselves as a very close competitor to the marque brands. New offerings only differ by a few hundreds from the marque brand and performance has been excellent judging by image and reviews. Nevertheless, the baseline performance must be better than your 17-55mm otherwise no point in getting that 20mm.
    Last edited by Ghaz1; 2nd September 2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Vision is more important than gear

DD123. Just curious. What are you intending to shoot with the 20 f1.8?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    DD123. Just curious. What are you intending to shoot with the 20 f1.8?
    For indoor shots mostly. To cover the wide end. Match it with a 2nd body with 50/1.4. Will be a 2 lens 2 body event combo. Good for weddings, events, kids etc.

I find F2.8 is not really fast enough for indoor with lower lighting. If not, I would have just used my 17-50 tamron. Nikon 24/1.4 will be perfect. But the price is just too unacceptable for me right now.

So serious one ah ....... you want to be pro indoor photographer
    7D . 10-22 . 17-55 . 50 1.8 . 18-200 . 70-200 2.8 II . EX580 II
    潜水高尔夫球手 Sunchaser

The most frustrating thing is the underexposure issue in matrix metering. Every time Nikon or Canon moves to a new metering system, they license their API out to 3rd party lens makers, I think. For the Canonmount ones, I read that many people had to bring their 20/1.8 to sigma SC to get the lens re-chipped for it to work well. Sigma was either slow in getting their new chips in or something else... I think it might be the same issue for Nikonmount also.

Older Sigma batches of 20/1.8 were very cheap, sold new at around 650 SGD including GST as late as mid 2009 in most reputable stores. It got a sudden price hike last year and is now selling for 880-900 SGD new. Could it be due to some improvements? Akerue told me he doubt so. But I am pretty sure the new batches should work well with the newer metering systems (according to what I read).

That is why so sian.
    Sorry bro, didnt know abt the metering problem with the older batches, i tried once at OP it seems to work find, thinks the one i tested is a newer batch, but seriously 24 on a crop body it aint that wide for indoors, thats to my impression and personal opinion....

U shld give a last chance at the lens at OP, provided they still have stock, before u make the final jump,

Quote Originally Posted by scubagolfer View Post
    So serious one ah ....... you want to be pro indoor photographer
    think he got some side projects of his own ma, with baby coming up never hurts to have more cash....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2136414445464748 ... LastLast