Thread: Question on taking photo indoor

Exclamation Question on taking photo indoor

Hii, i'm a newbie. I meet a circumstance where i want to secretly take a photo to a bunch a people for their smile when they gather together and have laughter. i tried changing my shutter speed but that would make it too slow and if i change my aperture it will became too dark. (ISO at 1600) and i don't want to use flash because that would make the people looks not so natural. please if there is any technique please say!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question on taking photo indoor

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    Hii, i'm a newbie. I meet a circumstance where i want to secretly take a photo to a bunch a people for their smile when they gather together and have laughter. i tried changing my shutter speed but that would make it too slow and if i change my aperture it will became too dark. (ISO at 1600) and i don't want to use flash because that would make the people looks not so natural. please if there is any technique please say!!!!!!!
    Sorry, we do not have enough information to give you advice.

We need to know more about the lighting conditions, the camera you are using, the lens you are using, if you are using tripod/handheld.

Best is if you can post a sample of your bad picture here and also tell us what equipment you are using now.

why do all newbies think that clubsnap members have some sort of mind-reading powers...

actually women always think that men have mind reading powers too~!!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Yeah this ain't the forum for pple with mind reading powers. No X-Men here.

just use flash, bring extra batteries, you need to keep shooting till they ignore you. see you as transparent, so you will get the most natural expression.

hope this help.

ireallyhateredfont
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

You want to peep shoot ppl and you typed it here in 'red'
    Wah! very scary

lol,
    You need to give more info.
    Equipment used; lighting condition

If you are using an entry level zoom that is f4.5, 5.6 on the long end, and lighting is indoor warm and dim ambient lighting like those restaurants in shopping malls, it will be rather hard. What is your shutter speed when aperture is wide open?

If you have no choice, you will have to use the highest ISO, and widest aperture and see if that gives you 1/30 or higher. If you don't even have that, then sorry, no case.
    You'd probably have to use flash.

i think TS is using manual mode . . .

Provide us with more info pls.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    You want to peep shoot ppl and you typed it here in 'red'
    Wah! very scary
    next time if you are eating somewhere and you see this guy fumbling with camera trying to take photo in ur direction.. better be careful~!!! hahaha...
    mylightedreams

sorry side track abit. I am a newbie too, but changing shutter speed shouldnt pic be too dark (assume shutter priority mode?), changing aperture make it too slow?

anyway, dont wanna use flash but want bright and fast then use prime lens. sitting at table, think 35mm suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    sorry side track abit. I am a newbie too, but changing shutter speed shouldnt pic be too dark (assume shutter priority mode?), changing aperture make it too slow?

anyway, dont wanna use flash but want bright and fast then use prime lens. sitting at table, think 35mm suitable?
    u can try using manual mode.. then set aperture to widest.. iso to max that you can accept.. then shutter to as fast as possible.. cannot get picture then just keep ur camera and eat ur dinner...

35mm on a crop? or on FF? depends la, like TS want to from far 'snipe' people, then 35 cannot le lor.. need 70-200 range ba.. depending how far the people you wanna take.. LOL..
    mylightedreams

hmmm.... Must take photo in secret, subject must be smiling, low light/no flash ???

looks like a job for super a500/a550 or Nex3/5 !

Select auto iso, and smile shutter on, mount dslr on tripod and set up somewhere so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and try getting your subject to smile !

You need Nikon D3s at ISO 12800, then use a fast lens like 24mm f/1.4. =) Shoot at f/1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    You need Nikon D3s at ISO 12800, then use a fast lens like 24mm f/1.4. =) Shoot at f/1.4.
    i don't think you need ISO that high... you think the restaurant/cafe never on any lights meh..
    mylightedreams

i like red, can?

i like red, can?
    Funny, of all the replies from the TS is a retort regarding the use of red font. But seriously, old people eyes find it hard to read red, and from the various questions to help you out, you have not answered the members yet.

Feel like you need help, but don't want to help yourself.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Too many unknown variables.

If you are shooting in a situation like a chinese wedding dinner, and the subject(s) are a table away, you'll need:

A camera with very good high ISO control (E.g. 5Dmk2) if you don't want to use a flash.
    A fast zoom lens. (E.g. 70-200mm f2.8)
    Might want to set your camera to these settings: Av Mode @ f2.8, ISO @ Auto. Still too slow? Drop your exposure by 1/3 or more and fix it later in photochop.

That's what i do anyways. My 2 cents.
    Insert Ego Here

i like red, can?
    Sure u can like red, but then why are you in black now???

no head, no tail = no answer

Give more detail.
    Last edited by dleugene; 27th August 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa