Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: FYI: A shop to avoid

  1. #1

    Default FYI: A shop to avoid

    THought I'd share my experience with you guys, especially those who are new and are looking for a camera. Avoid this shop at all cost, even though they are listed as "Authorised distributors" on Nikon's list -avoid!

    Link to my post here:

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    They also have a branch at Peninsular shopping centre.. Got "conned" there once in buying a teleconvertor for more than twice the price.. was still a newbie at that time.. After that I learned to check the prices of stuff before I go into any shops.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  3. #3

    Default

    lolz..u mean u actually go to lucky plaza this kind of place to look for camera? haiz.anywae now things over so just let it be =)

  4. #4
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    A learning point:

    If possible, get someone who has some experience to tag along!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    hwz having period again.... busy cannot see.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    lolz..u mean u actually go to lucky plaza this kind of place to look for camera? haiz.anywae now things over so just let it be =)
    At the time, everywhere didn't have stock for D70, so I thought I'd try LP since they had a large of "authorised distributors" in the same location.

    Its not a matter of letting things be, cause they'll continue to try and con ppl, so at least newbies who come to CS and read this will be aware that even shops which are supposedly "authorised" are not always 100% honest

  7. #7

    Default

    A bit OT, but quite funny: The Nikon guy who replied my email about the shop, then mailed me twice telling me which shops to go buy the D70 from (even without me asking). But when I mailed him and asked him about any comment about the back focus problem in the D70, suddenly quiet already

    GYR

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    in the shadow of the tallest hill in S'pore!
    Posts
    247

    Default

    haha.... gymrat,not surprising dont u think?

    Anyhow, having played with yout d70, any idea how the 300D measures up to the D70? dont mean to start WWIII between the Nikonians and Canonians, but I am considering both at the moment.=)

    ALso, apparently some ppl have spoken to me regarding the 300D's Manual mode not being totally manual? anyone has any idea?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drummercow
    haha.... gymrat,not surprising dont u think?

    Anyhow, having played with yout d70, any idea how the 300D measures up to the D70? dont mean to start WWIII between the Nikonians and Canonians, but I am considering both at the moment.=)

    ALso, apparently some ppl have spoken to me regarding the 300D's Manual mode not being totally manual? anyone has any idea?
    Sorry, can't help you there, as I've never even held the 300D before. To be fair, all the reviews I've read have put the image quality of both cameras at about par with each other, though the 300D can hit ISO100 (D70 is ISO200 lowest). I guess the D70 is better in some ways, like faster flash sync speed etc, then again, the technology is a year ahead of the 300D. From a price point of view, I'd take the D70 over the 300D, if only because I like the look and feel of the D70 more

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Heh!! Didn't you know they were once (or still) officially blacklisted?

  11. #11

    Default

    lol, only found out when I was at another shop after that and they guy told me that they are blacklisted by CASE..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    which thread to go to in order to see blacklisted shops?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    which thread to go to in order to see blacklisted shops?
    Not sure, but I believe they published a list of blacklisted shops in the newspapers some months ago, and I remember one or two LP shops got special mention

  14. #14
    Jason H0
    Guests

    Default

    u got to be lucky to go to Lucky Plaza to buy without being chopped by these ah beng / ah seng shops.


    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    lolz..u mean u actually go to lucky plaza this kind of place to look for camera? haiz.anywae now things over so just let it be =)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    newbie land
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    THought I'd share my experience with you guys, especially those who are new and are looking for a camera. Avoid this shop at all cost, even though they are listed as "Authorised distributors" on Nikon's list -avoid!

    Link to my post here:

    Cheers
    I heard a lots of bad comments on shops at LUCKY PLAZA. Thus never want to go there.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    For blacklisted shops, I think can always check with CASE. They should be more than happy to help.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    THought I'd share my experience with you guys, especially those who are new and are looking for a camera. Avoid this shop at all cost, even though they are listed as "Authorised distributors" on Nikon's list -avoid!

    Link to my post here:

    Cheers
    $2100 w/o gst is expensive... I got it from MS Color for $2100 with GST.. Normally I'll goto Cathay or MSColor for my camera stuff. Other shop will depends on the recommendation here.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian
    $2100 w/o gst is expensive... I got it from MS Color for $2100 with GST.. Normally I'll goto Cathay or MSColor for my camera stuff. Other shop will depends on the recommendation here.
    Yep, got mine from CP in the end for $2150, pay by credit card.

    Think one shop in LP which is OK (judging from feedbacks) is Lords, the one and only so far

  19. #19
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    http://www.visitsingapore.com/sectio...38,460,00.html

    the older ones got removed from the list

  20. #20

    Default

    Oh like they placed a gun at your head forcing you to buy? A con shop is only a con shop if you let it be one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •