Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Spray paint your tripod!!

  1. #1

    Default Spray paint your tripod!!

    i did a search and seems not much topics on this.

    i know most tripod owners are happy the way the tripod looks but my velbon sherpa is silver and i really like to customise it.

    There are pro-foto tripods with wonderful camo finish available but i wanted to make do with what i have.

    now i've seen videos on how they spray paint rifles and guns in the states but it's quite tedious.

    anyone has experience? i know artfriend sells a can of spray that is in camo colour..but i guess the problem is sealing it and prevent it from chipping off due to handling.

    Let's talk!
    Run and Gun All for Fun!
    Nikon D90/ Tokina 11-16mm / Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

  2. #2

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    hmm how about camo gaffer tapes?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    hmm how about camo gaffer tapes?
    good idea!
    Sony a7R | Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4
    http://www.shadefotoworks.com - Automotive Photography

  4. #4

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    expensive idea? lol
    Run and Gun All for Fun!
    Nikon D90/ Tokina 11-16mm / Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    spray paint and destroy your tripod...a more expensive idea...

  6. #6
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    hmm how about camo gaffer tapes?
    i post mine tomorrow.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    spray paint and destroy your tripod...a more expensive idea...
    besides that, i believe gaffer tapes need to be changed very 6mths due to the humidity. maybe not so often if seldom used.

    anyway , i cant find the camo gaffer tapes on sale cos most people bringing in standard black..
    Run and Gun All for Fun!
    Nikon D90/ Tokina 11-16mm / Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

  8. #8

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrockshow View Post
    i did a search and seems not much topics on this.

    i know most tripod owners are happy the way the tripod looks but my velbon sherpa is silver and i really like to customise it.

    There are pro-foto tripods with wonderful camo finish available but i wanted to make do with what i have.

    now i've seen videos on how they spray paint rifles and guns in the states but it's quite tedious.

    anyone has experience? i know artfriend sells a can of spray that is in camo colour..but i guess the problem is sealing it and prevent it from chipping off due to handling.

    Let's talk!
    Won't recommend it. It will most likely ruin the tripod instead.
    Visit my portfolio at http://woeilee.zenfolio.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Woodlands, Singapore
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Gaffering up ur tripod seems like the most logical solution...unless u have the expertise to spray paint professionally..
    KANTAimages
    "through the lens where every memories is crafted"

  10. #10

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Of all the camera equipment, the tripod is the most banged-up. Therefore, having mud, scratches, etc on the tripod is very common. Very often you would have to scrub and wash the tripod after an outdoor photoshoot. As such, I try to ensure my tripod is as "washable" as possible. Spray painting and 'gaffer' of the tripod would make it more difficult to clean, or destroy the paint work. Therefore, I would not recommend doing it. Furthermore, if you spray all the sections, it may affect the smoothness of the tripod when it is retracted. Worse case is that the paint may melt at high temperatures when outdoors and the tripod legs may get stuck inside.

    By the way, I use carbon tripods, and I find the default patterns quite pleasing.

    I would not recommend spraying the tripod unless it is only for display purposes.

  11. #11
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    if you really want to do it... simple..

    get green, black and brown spray paint... see which color shades you like..
    get some leaves (those with very thin leaves or those pointy leaves) depending what u like..

    put ur tripod on a bed of newspaper or plastic to protect ur floor.. put some leaves over and start being creative....

    or try something on youtube..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38Cm...eature=related
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  12. #12

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    also looking at this

    http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...roducts_id=171

    its not gaffer tape right?
    Run and Gun All for Fun!
    Nikon D90/ Tokina 11-16mm / Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrockshow View Post
    also looking at this

    http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...roducts_id=171

    its not gaffer tape right?
    nope, don't think there are any adhesive.
    the way it's used is similar to velcro.

  14. #14
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    or u can use heat shrinking sleeve thats black in color.

    if u want colorful sleeve, try finding the plasticky sleeve that mom used for the bamboo poles in the olden day. this sleeve is also heat shrinking (just pour hot water can liao).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    or u can use heat shrinking sleeve thats black in color.

    if u want colorful sleeve, try finding the plasticky sleeve that mom used for the bamboo poles in the olden day. this sleeve is also heat shrinking (just pour hot water can liao).
    one leg in yellow, one leg in red, another in blue? nice!!
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16
    Member dirtytripod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Westside \/\/
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    I think if you tape it, very likely it'll interfere with the lower sections of the legs. but still you can personalize the top section lah. go crazy man! put some glitter and beads also, stylomilo.
    chompchomp

  17. #17
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    I gaffer my tripod with green camo tape and btw 1 of the mass seller here sells camo painted tripod.

  18. #18
    Member enzeru21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    upper thomson
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtytripod View Post
    I think if you tape it, very likely it'll interfere with the lower sections of the legs. but still you can personalize the top section lah. go crazy man! put some glitter and beads also, stylomilo.
    Sounds super BLING BLING>>>

    maybe if you do a good job you can take a pic and send to STOMP~!
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

  19. #19
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    one leg in yellow, one leg in red, another in blue? nice!!
    i was thinking of RGB, like cmos sensor (photog can relate to these color more)
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Spray paint your tripod!!

    glow in the dark coating as well?
    you'll look cool taking night landscapes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •