Thread: Lens and dust query

Default Lens and dust query

Just looked really closely at my kit lens and noticed a small speck on the inside of the lens. I asked guy at CP about it and he said quite common.. is it?? Would have thought nikkor lenses were assembled in some kind of clean room Do I have to go back to Nikon to get it cleaned, and how long would it take?

GYR

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Just looked really closely at my kit lens and noticed a small speck on the inside of the lens. I asked guy at CP about it and he said quite common.. is it?? Would have thought nikkor lenses were assembled in some kind of clean room Do I have to go back to Nikon to get it cleaned, and how long would it take?

GYR
    my advice... leave it.

that small speck does not affect image quality. besides, having dust in lenses is common

no, lenses are not assembled in clean rooms.
    Last edited by mervlam; 16th May 2004 at 12:28 AM.

By sending it in for a clean, you risk more dust getting in.

ok, thanks for the advice guys

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    ok, thanks for the advice guys
    unless the speck of dust is like mine it's right in the center and is one big peice no point getting rid of it.

i use to have one big peice and it appererd on all the photos i took so i had to send it for service...
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

if you are buying it new you can choose to change for a better one. if you already brought it home... tough luck

Quote Originally Posted by SianZronG
    unless the speck of dust is like mine it's right in the center and is one big peice no point getting rid of it.

i use to have one big peice and it appererd on all the photos i took so i had to send it for service...
    It IS right in the center, but haven't done enough test shots to see if its actually visible.. what kind of background color would show specks clearly, or what kind of test should I perform?

minimum aperture at various focal length, ie f22 or more
    plain dark and/or light background,

likelyhood dust not gonna to affect.

I won't worry too much if I were you. Because of zooming and focusing actions, you'll get them into your lens due to usage anyway.