Thread: Tripod to recommend?

Default Tripod to recommend?

Hi, i'm pretty new to photography and just got myself a used 40D a month back. Enjoying the camera....

Sorry in advance for asking a silly question. What tripod (brand) should i get? I'm on budget so not those $X000 tripod, looking for somthing reasonable and good both for travel and local usage. Where can i get too?

I saw so many shops but just could not decide which suits my camera.

Default Re: Tripod to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf73 View Post
    Hi, i'm pretty new to photography and just got myself a used 40D a month back. Enjoying the camera....

Sorry in advance for asking a silly question. What tripod (brand) should i get? I'm on budget so not those $X000 tripod, looking for somthing reasonable and good both for travel and local usage. Where can i get too?

there have been a number of "what tripod should I get?" threads in the Newbies Corner recently, so a search would be the first thing to do.

So your budget is $x00 and not $x000, but what number is the x represent? if it's 6, 7, 8, or 9, you can buy something really nice...
    Exploring! :)

Hey! I'm using a Velbon DF50, bought it at SLR revo for around 60plus or 70 plus. I carry it using a optech tripod strap($38), makes it very light for bringing around. it's strong enough to support my 550d with batt grip and the 70-200 F4IS, just don't extend the(centre column) centre of gravity too high, and you should be okay, for kit lens it's definitely more than adequate.

No need to get those expensive tripod when starting out, learn and master the cam's first, then you can get one that suits your lens setup,, and you won't make a heavy loss selling your 1st one.
    Canon EOS 550D + 18-55IS + 50 F1.8 + 70-200 F4L IS+ 580EXII

If you are not after branded tripods, you may look at Velbon, Vanguard, Benro, Sirui, Manda, Fotopro, Fancier and other brands too.

You can try Benro outlet and Level 1 Peninsula Plaza, TK Foto at Level Funan Centre for Sirui, Manda outlet at Level 4 Peninsula Plaza and Fotopro from Artworkfoto.

All questions are not silly.

There are Taiwan made tripod like Kings selling for $38 at Metro (Causeway) You have Velbon selling for $69 at Challenger (Funan) and You have Manfrotto selling for $170 at Cathay (Marina Sq). Any tripod are reasonable and for your use. The important thing to look out for are sturdy legs when extended and whether it can take the combined weight of your camera with lens and flash without toppling over. Some tripod comes with hook for you to hook your bag which is useful when you use it out in the wet fields.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Hi bro wolf73, welcome to cs. maybe can read this tripod write up by our senior forumer Dennis kee

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

alternatively can drop by TKFOTO at funan to feel the tripod yourself. I disagree with Newbie starting out by buying cheap filmsy tripod. You wouldn't want to endanger ur baby with some poor build tripod.

You can look at sirui and benro for some value for
    money tripod. Just avoid those <$100 unknown MIC ones.

Iirc Cathay photo selling manfrotto tripod with head at 200+ which is quite decent for abusing and normal usage.
    Last edited by VainKid; 20th August 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

Yup, go down to TK photo and test the tripods for yourself, the tripods have price tags on them so its easier for your browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by spentaz View Post
    Hey! I'm using a Velbon DF50, bought it at SLR revo for around 60plus or 70 plus. I carry it using a optech tripod strap($38), makes it very light for bringing around. it's strong enough to support my 550d with batt grip and the 70-200 F4IS, just don't extend the(centre column) centre of gravity too high, and you should be okay, for kit lens it's definitely more than adequate.

No need to get those expensive tripod when starting out, learn and master the cam's first, then you can get one that suits your lens setup,, and you won't make a heavy loss selling your 1st one.
    Thanks for your advise. Will drop by and take a look

Thanks all with helpful advise and directions. I will do my spree for tripod this weekend.

Cathay Photo (@ Peninsula Plaza and Marina Square) has an ongoing offer for the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod. Not sure how tall you are, but this might be suitable.

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/offers...rob-pro-tripod

All you need to do is to buy a ballhead with it, and if you are buying from Cathay, they have a promotional Purchase-With-Purchase of a tripod head from Manfrotto too ... for $83 (if I'm not wrong) you get a decent ballhead.

Head down to the shop to take a look.

Another is a Vanguard tripod, Alta Pro 263 AT, with tripod head too ... for about $278 to $288. Browse at K-13 Marketing (Peninsula Plaza, level 2) or TK Photo (Funan Center, level 2) to check out the tripod.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!