Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 days HK trip (first timer)

Default Re: 6 days HK trip (first timer)

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    yup i am going there. It's at Lantau island right where the Big Buddha is?
    When you are at Big Buddha, you can take a bus to Tai O. It is still at Lantau Island.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsz View Post
    When you are at Big Buddha, you can take a bus to Tai O. It is still at Lantau Island.
    ok got it. thanks!

Good thread, lots of interesting info. i am going there nxt mth for a week or so with my wife. definitely not photographic. but will drop bu Shen zhen and Macau as well.

tentatively looking into the Octopus card thinggy as well as phone cards with data plans

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post

tentatively looking into the Octopus card thinggy as well as phone cards with data plans
    this info taken from hwz:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2767099 (prepaid sim card with 3G data)

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/...d.php?t=428807 (got this link from hwz which leads to another forum with plenty of HK information)

If u are going to macau, remember to visit this place for breakfast before u board that ferry! http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=10577.
    Its quite near the mtr station where the ferry terminal is located and its one of the best rated food places to go, even among locals.

Also if u have time(and energy) i recommend u visit dragons back, its a very scenic place.
    Last edited by yokyok; 24th August 2010 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yokyok View Post
    If u are going to macau, remember to visit this place for breakfast before u board that ferry! http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=10577.
    Its quite near the mtr station where the ferry terminal is located and its one of the best rated food places to go, even among locals.

Also if u have time(and energy) i recommend u visit dragons back, its a very scenic place.
    thanks! i will do some research on dragon back.

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    TS - Im not sure if you already know this, but for a good and cheap way of traveling my friend recommends having the Airport Express Tourist Octopus Card on hand.

It cost HK 220/300 and comes with one/two ride of the airport express train and you get 3 days of unlimited MTR travel, excluding East Rail Line First Class, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/products_index.html

In addition, I heard that if you purchase multiple copies from the office(and not machine) they will give additional discounts. You may want to check on that
    yup i heard about it too, but just wondering that 3 days unlimited start from when?

cos i am arriving on a sat... sun i going lantau island area, mon to macau, tues focus on central... so effectively, only sun and tues onwards i will be traveling on the rails and buses...
    The clock starts ticking with your first MTR journey (not counting the Airport Express ride). So, if you are not planning to use it extensively on the first few days, just buy single entry tickets for those days and start using the Octopus card when you want that 3 days fee pass to start.

Enjoy your stay in HK.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

I just got back from HK, was there for 7 days. I think that it depends on how many people you are travelling with. My group size was 4, so it was actually cheaper to take a taxi from airport to hotel in Jordan,rather than buy the airport express. Once in the city, I got the On-loan octopus card, which has discounted travel as opposed to the for sale octopus card. But there is a penalty of $7 HKD when we return for refund within 3 months. However if you travel a lot on the trains, then the $7 is worth it.

Sidenote: Thanks to Mr CS Tan, I followed his camera shopping guide for the most fuss free camera shopping experience.

hmmm when i was there last year i took an airport express bus(they all start with A something) to my place, was fast and alot cheaper than airport train/taxi. If you are staying around mong kok area, there will most likely be an airport bus that will go to your hotel.

Almost forgot, during my research last year i found out most hotels/hostels can arrange a bus to pick u up too(some foc) if u ask during the booking.
    Last edited by yokyok; 24th August 2010 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yokyok View Post
    hmmm when i was there last year i took an airport express bus(they all start with A something) to my place, was fast and alot cheaper than airport train/taxi. If you are staying around mong kok area, there will most likely be an airport bus that will go to your hotel.

Almost forgot, during my research last year i found out most hotels/hostels can arrange a bus to pick u up too(some foc) if u ask during the booking.
    ohh i am staying at this hotel:
    http://www.hotelmk.com.hk/

the location looks good... room also.

ohh i am staying at this hotel:
    http://www.hotelmk.com.hk/

the location looks good... room also.
    A21 bus from airport, should be ard HKD 33 for the trip, think u can arrange for hotel staff to pick u up at the bus stop.

On the other note, i am going this dec too, should be staying at this hostel http://www.yesinn.com/hk/ehostel.htm , decent and super budget haha
    Last edited by yokyok; 24th August 2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muckafutha View Post
    I just got back from HK, was there for 7 days. I think that it depends on how many people you are travelling with. My group size was 4, so it was actually cheaper to take a taxi from airport to hotel in Jordan,rather than buy the airport express. Once in the city, I got the On-loan octopus card, which has discounted travel as opposed to the for sale octopus card. But there is a penalty of $7 HKD when we return for refund within 3 months. However if you travel a lot on the trains, then the $7 is worth it.

Sidenote: Thanks to Mr CS Tan, I followed his camera shopping guide for the most fuss free camera shopping experience.
    You are welcome. I am glad you found the shopping guide useful.

Actually the $7 penalty (refund within 3 months) is for the regular on-loan Octopus cards.

The tourist pass has no penalty. http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/products_index.html
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Go to Mido cafe. Take the train to Yau Ma Tei. Take the Exit C. It's near Dorsett Seaview Hotel.
    lol, i stayed there when i was there last time... decent hotel but damn small rm!

Quote Originally Posted by gregsz View Post
    please note that the bus that brings you from the big buddha to tai-o, has a last bus of 4pm. last time i bought return tix for the cable car ride, so i was thinking of bus to tai-o then bus back to big buddha then cable car back. ended up i missed the last bus and i have to tk a rough bus ride of 1hr to head back to tung chung. wasted the return cable car ride and some time...!

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    please note that the bus that brings you from the big buddha to tai-o, has a last bus of 4pm. last time i bought return tix for the cable car ride, so i was thinking of bus to tai-o then bus back to big buddha then cable car back. ended up i missed the last bus and i have to tk a rough bus ride of 1hr to head back to tung chung. wasted the return cable car ride and some time...!
    noted!

hmm i am thinking of probably giving macau a miss... since there isn't much attractions except for st paul's ruins...

noted!

hmm i am thinking of probably giving macau a miss... since there isn't much attractions except for st paul's ruins...
    macau tower, venetian, fishermen wharf, senado sq

Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post
    macau tower, venetian, fishermen wharf, senado sq
    actually i only keen in st paul's church haha...

read that fishermen wharf not worth...

hmm macau tower is interesting, tot of trying bungee jump but maybe not this trip

actually i only keen in st paul's church haha...

read that fishermen wharf not worth...

hmm macau tower is interesting, tot of trying bungee jump but maybe not this trip
    venetian from pics seems to be a must-go place.

fisherman wharf ar.. erm.. it's free~

eh.. e bungee jump cost ard $300 sgd leh guided bungee somemore~
    Last edited by zelot; 30th August 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post

eh.. e bungee jump cost ard $300 sgd leh guided bungee somemore~
    dats why i say next trip lol cos this trip my budget only $1k.

dats why i say next trip lol cos this trip my budget only $1k.
    wa bo kua dio li eh first post ma~
    Last edited by zelot; 30th August 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast