Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: By the bay - Esplanade

  1. #1

    Default By the bay - Esplanade



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    This the composition of this shot ok?

    The bay, or rather marina bay has been shot lots of time, i just wish that my shot's composition is of standard.

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I hope to achieve the kind of shot which is "post card worthy".

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Canon 500D, 18~55 IS, ISO 100, 1/200 sec, F8

    This shot was taken on a Sunny day, during one of the NDP rehearsals,

    was feeling pretty low and inferior as there were literally hundreds of photographers that day in the area with gear which i want , but could not afford. Was feeling moody and everyone was taking photographs of the parachute (NDP), i realized the boat sailing pass by the bay and took the shot as the boat is exactly at where i want it to be.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    personally i feel that this picture would look boring and plain if i did not throw the color balance off to being cooler. if not for post-processing, the furthest i would rate this pictures is being mediocre

    your comments are welcomed =D
    Last edited by renzokuken; 20th August 2010 at 01:59 AM.
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    You seemed to be distracted by your surrounding. That will actually impair your observations and judgement.

    The exposure is quite off. You have a whole bunch of buildings which were near to being over-exposed, while a large portion of the Esplanade is shadowed because its reflecting the light in another direction. While I'm in for contrast in a scene, the spread of the contrast in this instance is not balanced out nicely.

    The composition needs working on too. I wasn't too fond of the Esplanade being shaved off on the left side and to a certain extend, the entire composition is left-heavy.

    I don't think working on the colours alone helped this photo because there were just too many issues which were not dealt with to start with.

  3. #3

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    thanks for comment

    hmmmmm......using lightroom
    i applied "cold tone" to the picture
    the whites were throw quite badly by it and i bumped up "recovery" to 75 out of 100 , for the picture in the first post

    this is the original unedited picture


    (dear moderators, please remove this picture if it violates forum rules, this is the same picture in post #1, the unedited version)
    is the exposure off as well??

    i would love to include more of esplanade as well
    but more of it will put the bridge lined with zillions of photographers in the frame.
    will it be good if the bridge is included?? i can try taking the photo again

    composition wise, other than being left sided too much
    is there anything else i should look out for?

    thanks
    Last edited by renzokuken; 20th August 2010 at 01:05 PM.
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    I like the unedited colour better..though u wud still need to prevent the highlight clip and cut off area of esplanade next tm...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 20th August 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,836

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    i like the colors (looks like IR) in the first photo... but it looks overexposed when u use it.
    Last edited by sinned79; 20th August 2010 at 01:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    I like the unedited colour better.
    Me too, but discounting colour, in additon to issues mentioned by Kit, I would go more heavy handed with the sea than the sky because the sky is really, really boring, and I think that's why you want to post-process the pic. Actually there's nothing interesting with the sea also.

    A warmer white balance may help, rather than making it colder but that's a personal preference.

    If unsure of composition, what I would do is take everything (probably how I ended up getting into panoramic stitching in the first place). That way, you can go back and study which makes the best pic and you have choices. Once you have a better idea what to look out for, one or two shots will get you what you need.

  7. #7

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    I like the unedited colour better..though u wud still need to prevent the highlight clip and cut off area of esplanade next tm...
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i like the colors (looks like IR) in the first photo... but it looks overexposed when u use it.
    thanks you both for your comments =D
    it kinda look like IR to me too!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Me too, but discounting colour, in additon to issues mentioned by Kit, I would go more heavy handed with the sea than the sky because the sky is really, really boring, and I think that's why you want to post-process the pic. Actually there's nothing interesting with the sea also.

    A warmer white balance may help, rather than making it colder but that's a personal preference.

    If unsure of composition, what I would do is take everything (probably how I ended up getting into panoramic stitching in the first place). That way, you can go back and study which makes the best pic and you have choices. Once you have a better idea what to look out for, one or two shots will get you what you need.
    hmmmm i'm actually kinda lost
    my friend criticized me for using overly warm white balances , hence that day i listened to his comments and set my white balances cooler...

    the ocean... i was hoping i can enhance the water trail left by the boat. but even with a brush setting of 100 clarity, the trail is not obvious

    thanks for comment as well
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  8. #8
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    The original picture you had there certainly ain't too warm. If it were me, I would go even warmer but that's my personal preference. Sometimes you have to judge for yourself; do you think most of your pictures are too warm?

  9. #9

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    actually the 2nd one is nicer, 1st one looks very harsh.

    it's too tightly composed already, leave some breathing space
    Last edited by ahming111; 23rd August 2010 at 12:23 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The original picture you had there certainly ain't too warm. If it were me, I would go even warmer but that's my personal preference. Sometimes you have to judge for yourself; do you think most of your pictures are too warm?
    actually i quite like warmer photos/shots
    cause it invoke the sunset feeling

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    actually the 2nd one is nicer, 1st one looks very harsh.

    it's too tightly composed already, leave some breathing space
    ok noted
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  11. #11
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    actually i quite like warmer photos/shots
    cause it invoke the sunset feeling
    As mentioned earlier, don't feel your original pic is too warm. However it does lack punch, mainly because it's taken when the sun is too high and the light, too uninteresting. I can see why you chose to process it into a different colour, but the cold tone thingie may not be the best choice.

  12. #12

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    As mentioned earlier, don't feel your original pic is too warm. However it does lack punch, mainly because it's taken when the sun is too high and the light, too uninteresting. I can see why you chose to process it into a different colour, but the cold tone thingie may not be the best choice.
    it was shot at around 4pm ~5pm
    wow i really didn't expect a comment after this thread has been here for 1 week
    thanks for the effort

    yea.. i felt that the original photo was too boring
    hence i used a few defaulted special effect presets as provided by lightroom

    maybe i can try other special effects in lightroom
    but not before taking another shot of this with improved composition

    too bad that area is now fenced off for F1
    can't redo this until when i have time and when the fencing has been removed

    thanks for comment really
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    thanks for comment

    hmmmmm......using lightroom
    i applied "cold tone" to the picture
    the whites were throw quite badly by it and i bumped up "recovery" to 75 out of 100 , for the picture in the first post

    this is the original unedited picture

    (dear moderators, please remove this picture if it violates forum rules, this is the same picture in post #1, the unedited version)
    is the exposure off as well??

    i would love to include more of esplanade as well
    but more of it will put the bridge lined with zillions of photographers in the frame.
    will it be good if the bridge is included?? i can try taking the photo again

    composition wise, other than being left sided too much
    is there anything else i should look out for?

    thanks
    What kit was trying to say is that there are some bright areas and some dark areas. Even in this original version, the exposure for the buildings are a little overexposed, especially the "sail" looking roof of the amphitheater. You really need to dial the exposure back or use bracketed shots/blending to even out the exposures.

    To put it even simplier, this is probably the wrong time in the day to shoot this scene.

  14. #14

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    What kit was trying to say is that there are some bright areas and some dark areas. Even in this original version, the exposure for the buildings are a little overexposed, especially the "sail" looking roof of the amphitheater. You really need to dial the exposure back or use bracketed shots/blending to even out the exposures.

    To put it even simplier, this is probably the wrong time in the day to shoot this scene.
    bright highlights
    and dark shadows

    so i either have to use a GND
    choose any time to shoot this at
    or
    bracket the shot using softwares aka HDR

    dam, this is when i wish that canon has in-built HDR like alphas do
    i bought a GND filter, my lens rotate when focusing, i gave it away to my friend
    i bought (or rather donate to) an application for lightroom which does HDR, but the colours and exposure always looks unnatural for me such that i prefer the original picture better
    i don't have photoshop to do professional HDR, and even if i do, i think it'll take quite awhile for me to learn layering and all the PS basics

    heeheee any easy to use and free HDR software to recommend?
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  15. #15

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    was feeling pretty low and inferior as there were literally hundreds of photographers that day in the area with gear which i want , but could not afford.
    O.T. you should be happy with your gear and just concentrate on what you have. it is more challenging and satisfying to be able to generate good photos on entry to mid level gears. i was in one of those ndp preview using a more inferior alpha a330 and a 1 year old daughter who keeps running around and i dont get bothered by the surroundings because if it gets into your head, it will somehow affect your creativity.

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    bright highlights
    and dark shadows

    so i either have to use a GND
    choose any time to shoot this at
    or
    bracket the shot using softwares aka HDR

    dam, this is when i wish that canon has in-built HDR like alphas do
    i bought a GND filter, my lens rotate when focusing, i gave it away to my friend
    i bought (or rather donate to) an application for lightroom which does HDR, but the colours and exposure always looks unnatural for me such that i prefer the original picture better
    i don't have photoshop to do professional HDR, and even if i do, i think it'll take quite awhile for me to learn layering and all the PS basics

    heeheee any easy to use and free HDR software to recommend?
    GND will not work here. GND only works where there is a clear horizon separation between bright sky and darker foreground. With buildings the separation is not clear. You will not be able to use GND.

    What you need to do is to take multiple shots. One shot to expose the bright areas properly. Another to expose the darker areas properly. Then use layers blending to get it in. Or you can use HDR. Yes, to do HDR properly, you need multiple shots with varying exposures.

    Alternatively, find a better time to shoot. That would be a better way to get around the problem.

  17. #17

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by naynoy View Post
    O.T. you should be happy with your gear and just concentrate on what you have. it is more challenging and satisfying to be able to generate good photos on entry to mid level gears. i was in one of those ndp preview using a more inferior alpha a330 and a 1 year old daughter who keeps running around and i dont get bothered by the surroundings because if it gets into your head, it will somehow affect your creativity.
    yea i get what you mean
    i try my best to focus on photography itself most of the time
    just that that day was way too overwhelming....

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    GND will not work here. GND only works where there is a clear horizon separation between bright sky and darker foreground. With buildings the separation is not clear. You will not be able to use GND.

    What you need to do is to take multiple shots. One shot to expose the bright areas properly. Another to expose the darker areas properly. Then use layers blending to get it in. Or you can use HDR. Yes, to do HDR properly, you need multiple shots with varying exposures.

    Alternatively, find a better time to shoot. That would be a better way to get around the problem.
    hmmm so i should take the shot at a later time to whereby shadows are near the 45 degree angle

    taken note, thanks
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,600

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    I think you not only have to review the timing of your shot but the composition as well. Its severely unbalanced and truthfully, I wouldn't choose this spot to take the photo.

  19. #19

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I think you not only have to review the timing of your shot but the composition as well. Its severely unbalanced and truthfully, I wouldn't choose this spot to take the photo.
    i know, i've seen your signature
    you're an avid architecture photographer
    your comments will definitely help me to grow

    hmmm not choosing this spot
    so you're saying that even if esplanade isn't cut off , the composition would still suck??
    where do you suggest?
    For passion or prestige? A trend or a niche?

  20. #20
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: By the bay - Esplanade

    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    i know, i've seen your signature
    you're an avid architecture photographer
    your comments will definitely help me to grow

    hmmm not choosing this spot
    so you're saying that even if esplanade isn't cut off , the composition would still suck??
    where do you suggest?
    hmm. its somethign that has been shot fromt he angle, and been shot to death nothing special for me... its the bridge right? merlion there one.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •