Thread: My puppy

Default My puppy

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Just starting out. Any opinions and critique would be greatly appreciated.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Moments of my puppy

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this picture using pentax k-x kit lens on the day i 1st got it

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Pending for owner to return(that's me although i am the 1 taking the pictures)

Please, opinions and critique would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: My puppy

Main subject, assuming it is the dog and not the grille, is o-o-f. For a pic like this, I would spot the focus right on the dog's eye, which is where the anticipation supposedly to flow.

Have you considered a portrait framing to include the whole dog (or substantial part of it), as opposed to landscape?

Luv the lighting though... it adds mood...

Have to say, this is a potentially priceless scene if shot right....

Cheers

What I like about the photo:

Perspective: You went down to the dogs POV which does give a better sense of how they would see the world

Lighting: I like how it highlights the outline of the dog showing enough detail to giver proper form and helps it to 'pop'.

What I think could have been done:

Exposure: while the lighting is good the exposure seems quite under. I would have perhaps shot it at 1/80 instead of 1/160 to give more shadow detail and properly expose the scene. An alternative would be to edit this current pic such that you deepen the shadows to make the outline of the dog stand out more to give a stronger composition. Either way its a subjective thing and will depend on how you want to present it

Composition: The vertical bars do seem to compete with the dog for attention but since it is unavoidable i would have placed the dog further left in the frame to give him/her more space to look into. Also to minimise the distraction angle it so that the one of the bars ends in front of the muzzle rather than in the middle of it.
    I personally do not think a portrait orientation would have worked as well for capturing the 'owner coming home' look as having more of the 'bars' for the dog to look into would enhance the mood

Good job and keep shooting and learning with your free model
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

I agree with raptors 's points.

Ps: Sorry this is not a critique, but I think I just heard you on the mrt talking about this to your female friend. I was just standing beside you. Hi there!

Thanks guys! Feel free to comment more

Quote Originally Posted by zh3ng View Post
    I agree with raptors 's points.

Ps: Sorry this is not a critique, but I think I just heard you on the mrt talking about this to your female friend. I was just standing beside you. Hi there!
    Oh my! what a small world singapore is! HI!