Thread: help how to shoot without IS function

Default help how to shoot without IS function

hi bros and sis, i bought a canon 75-300mm non IS version from a fellow cser. The pictures i take holding look ok on the lcd screen. Bt when i see on monitor is not sharp. Fix on tripod looks sharper.

I try increase the shutter speed and increase iso and can get sharper but alot of noise. Is there other tricks to get sharper picture? I hope to take good picture without tripod.

pls helpppp..

Default Re: help how to shoot without IS function

Quote Originally Posted by Jennyfur80 View Post
    hi bros and sis, i bought a canon 75-300mm non IS version from a fellow cser. The pictures i take holding look ok on the lcd screen. Bt when i see on monitor is not sharp. Fix on tripod looks sharper.

I try increase the shutter speed and increase iso and can get sharper but alot of noise. Is there other tricks to get sharper picture? I hope to take good picture without tripod.

pls helpppp..
    Learn the rule of thumb for a shake-free image : your speed must be 1/(focal length x focal length multiplier).

That said, if you are at the 100mm end of ur lens your shutter speed need to be at least 1/160 to avoid blur caused by ur motion shake. Putting ur camera on a tripod will eliminate this but subject motion will still cause blur.

Increasing the ISO speed will increase the shutter speed when light is low, but the noise what you will have to pay in return for faster speed. Another alternative is to get a F/2.8 lens like 70-200mm F/2.8 which will allow more light in and hence faster speed.
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

pls helpppp..
    How to avoid camera shake and get a great photo:

http://www.articlesbase.com/art-and-...os-686387.html

pls helpppp..
    the 75-300 has never been a recommended lens..

non-IS or not, you need to learn how to hold the camera in way that reduces shake.. you posture and hand-holding position.. keep the weight balanced on both legs.. don't lean forward elbows tuck in etc.. (go read up on stable shooting postures) cos the lens isn't very lightweight so you need to hold steady when shooting longer shutter speeds..

also about the ISO part, if you don't like the noise then don't push the ISO too high.. know your personal ISO ceiling.. don't set above that.. then try to push your camera to the fastest shutter that you can do.. if slightly underexposed then on computer increase the brightness.. so shoot in RAW if you can.. it will allow for these kinda adjustments.. also if you shoot in RAW you can do noise reduction to help...
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

pls helpppp..
    Good light and the correct breathing techniques.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Get a sand bag and lie on prone position. Aim .... Steady .... hold ur breath and slowly depress the shoot button...

On a serious note. The lens does not have very good IQ and u will find the even when at f8.0 it will not produce a sharp Image as compared to the kit lens nothing to do with IS.

That is just the way this lens is.

Try and rest your body against wall, pillar, lamp post or car for stability.

Sitting on your butt with elbow resting on your knees can also help.

Blog Entries

pls helpppp..
    You took these test shots at night? in your room?

Of course they are not sharp. You do not have enough light.

Use it to shoot outdoors on a sunny day on a tripod. That is the way to test the lens to see if it is sharp.

Thank you for all the tips and feedback

daredevil123: It was taken in the day outdoor on a sunny day. I tried at night and the lens turn and turn a few times before it focus.

I will train up on my breathing and holding technique. Hope to get sharper pictures. heee.

pls helpppp..
    use the shutter speed / focal length rule.

Your minimum shutter speed should be inverse of the focal length used.

So if u are using 75mm, ur shutter speed shouldnt be less than 1/75s, and if u wanna use 300mm, shutter speed should be at least 1/300s in order to counter handshake. U need to adjust ISO and aperture to achieve this.

pls helpppp..
    yup, as what fellow CSers advised... increase shutter speed & proper posture + breathing.

Test different ISO to see your noise tolerance level.

Perhaps use a monopod for longer focal lengths?

Haiz... TS already bought the lens la... so don't make him/her

Have fun.

Thank you for all the tips and feedback

daredevil123: It was taken in the day outdoor on a sunny day. I tried at night and the lens turn and turn a few times before it focus.

I will train up on my breathing and holding technique. Hope to get sharper pictures. heee.
    shooting at night and the lens turn and turn? it means its having difficulty trying to focus...

many lens have the same problem.. no worries.. Focusing works by detecting contrast within your selected focus point, i.e. if you are using the centre focus point, then whatever you are pointing at has to have contrast. If you're pointing at a white wall or clear sky, the camera will not be able to figure out what is the distance between you and the object you are focusing at, and thus will not be able to focus.

Similarly, if it's dark, naturally the contrast between things is much lower. It then becomes difficult for the camera to pick out the contrast in order to focus.

The best thing to do is to (a) look for something with a high contrast to focus on (e.g. something lit by a lamppost) or (b) open your on camera flash and let the focus assist flash fire, then when it's focused, close the flash and take your photo
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams