Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: YOG food issue again .....

Default Re: YOG food issue again .....

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    To be serious: I think it is because of the very low interest, that the government asked the youth to come forward to watch, how would you feel as a sportsman/sportswoman who come here all the way from overseas, and no one is watching the games?

HS
    I have nothing against that. But how would you feel if your kids are forced to watch the games and only come home about 7 in the evening and the next day they still have to sit for their 3rd sem. english paper which contrubite to 20% of their final result? My auntie and some friends ask me the same questions.
    Last edited by yqt; 19th August 2010 at 12:09 PM.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

She posted out to Pulau Ubin?
    Well at least better than Pulau Huntu
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    ok, ok I will tell them to do so as you said.
    Too late liow, the Hat is bigger than the head and it also cover their ears.
    See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I have nothing against that. But how would you feel if your kids are forced to watch the games and only come home about 7 in the evening and the next day they still have to sit for their 3rd sem. englise paper which contrubite to 20% of their final result? My auntie and some friends ask me the same questions.
    It is 'english' and not 'englise'

There was a YOG before your english exam days too????

It is 'english' and not 'englise'

There was a YOG before your english exam days too????
    It's a result of "school volunteering" too much

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Even if Singapore wins 10 gold medals, it is not going to bring any prosperity to the nation economically - you cannot feed a nation on medals, pride and sporting achievements. Bragging rights - perhaps. Look at Russia, Eastern European and some African countries, they do win medals in international sporting events, their athletes are world class, but see how the majority of their population struggle with their daily lives.

What is wrong with show casing Singapore's infrastructure ? If you don't promote Singapore, tourists, MICE delegations and MNCs like financial institutions may not be in Singapore. With these people coming to town, what u have is money spent - hotels rooms are filled, taxis are in demand, food n beverage establishments get patronized, retailers can sell things, office and shopping places facilities are needed thus benefiting contractors and developers - in short you have foreign money coming in to support whole industries which would otherwise not exist. For a country without raw materials and cheap labor, this is a way of keeping the wheels of the economy moving. Look at home ownership numbers, look at the number of new cars on the road, look at mobile phones ownership, look at the holidays that Singaporeans take, look at the amount that they spend on renovation and gadgets for their homes or toys like camera & lenses, car accessories - all these are the result of the economy, Yes ?
    Nothing wrong with that really.

But it kinda misses the whole point about the event itself - sports. The Government is probably taking this chance to try to raise sports awareness among citizens but then again, with all the nonsense coming out from this event, it probably has the reverse effect.

Instead of dumping those money spent on YOG, why not spent it on sports development? Using the same money to lure top coaches, supporting staff, infrastructure etc?

The whole marketing hype about this event is really obscuring the underlying spirit of the games itself. To the point that, any mishap or mistakes by the organizers, it is being amplified now. A lot of talks has been about the inconveniences, pathetic food, being forced to volunteer for some, etc....

Any headline news about the athletics themselves? Hardly.

Even if Singapore wins 10 gold medals, it is not going to bring any prosperity to the nation economically - you cannot feed a nation on medals, pride and sporting achievements. Bragging rights - perhaps. Look at Russia, Eastern European and some African countries, they do win medals in international sporting events, their athletes are world class, but see how the majority of their population struggle with their daily lives.

What is wrong with show casing Singapore's infrastructure ? If you don't promote Singapore, tourists, MICE delegations and MNCs like financial institutions may not be in Singapore. With these people coming to town, what u have is money spent - hotels rooms are filled, taxis are in demand, food n beverage establishments get patronized, retailers can sell things, office and shopping places facilities are needed thus benefiting contractors and developers - in short you have foreign money coming in to support whole industries which would otherwise not exist. For a country without raw materials and cheap labor, this is a way of keeping the wheels of the economy moving. Look at home ownership numbers, look at the number of new cars on the road, look at mobile phones ownership, look at the holidays that Singaporeans take, look at the amount that they spend on renovation and gadgets for their homes or toys like camera & lenses, car accessories - all these are the result of the economy, Yes ?
    now that u mentioned it, have we recover the money spent of F1?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

And you know this because you're with MOE?

An auntie of mine retired from MOE after 30+ years and am now working for them in MOE itself as a "project consultant", she was so disgusted with how MOE "encourage" schools to support the YOG that she turn down their offer to head another project citing that she need a rest.

Just for your info, MOE knows how many students, how and from which school took part in one way or another to support the YOG. MOE is also the one who controls the school staff's promotion, annual ranking, request for additional funding, etc. So you still think there's no "gun pointed at the school"? More like a sniper rifle aiming at someone's head from afar.
    We always have a choice. When I am in the army, I have an old OC whom told me this.

" We always have a choice. U can either choose to be here or u can choose to AWAL. But We are all here cause we choose to be here and that is ur choice "

So they too have made that choice.

Maybe that's why volunteers should be youth? More to oogle at?
    maybe thats why rubbers were given out foc?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    We always have a choice. When I am in the army, I have an old OC whom told me this.

" We always have a choice. U can either choose to be here or u can choose to AWAL. But We are all here cause we choose to be here and that is ur choice "

So they too have made that choice.

haiz.............

The standard Singaporean way that has been going on & on....

Kena "indirectly" forced to do, if not, face the music....

I still remembered me poly days back then, the school "volunteer" students on their behalf
    Its bullshit!!!!

Last time I was in reservist, encik told me that exact same line, I told him, encik, dont talk c*ck can?

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    haiz.............

The standard Singaporean way that has been going on & on....

Kena "indirectly" forced to do, if not, face the music....

I still remembered me poly days back then, the school "volunteer" students on their behalf
    Its bullshit!!!!

Last time I was in reservist, encik told me that exact same line, I told him, encik, dont talk c*ck can?
    Bro,

What is said is very true right, u can always choose to be a singaporean or u can choose not to be one. So if the father and mother of the youth volunteers choose to be singaporean than too sad u have to comply the choice at least for now ...

Plus, there are always ways to get yourself out of the Matrix. Like ................. Lets not go too detail... haha

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    maybe thats why rubbers were given out foc?
    That was for promoting interaction between the volunteers and the sports people............

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    Nothing wrong with that really.

But it kinda misses the whole point about the event itself - sports. The Government is probably taking this chance to try to raise sports awareness among citizens but then again, with all the nonsense coming out from this event, it probably has the reverse effect.

Instead of dumping those money spent on YOG, why not spent it on sports development? Using the same money to lure top coaches, supporting staff, infrastructure etc?

The whole marketing hype about this event is really obscuring the underlying spirit of the games itself. To the point that, any mishap or mistakes by the organizers, it is being amplified now. A lot of talks has been about the inconveniences, pathetic food, being forced to volunteer for some, etc....

Any headline news about the athletics themselves? Hardly.

The attitude of Singaporeans towards sports is that it will not bring you far in life. Thus there is hardly any interest in professional sports. Even if programs were to be started in schools to cultivate sports, will many of us agree to our kids spending more time in sports than their studies ? Indeed, if it is the government's mandate to drum up interest in sports amongst the younger generation, then the 1st task is to drum up interest. Once u have interest, you can build facilities, hire coaches and what nots. Whats the point of hiring coaches, investing in programs and facilities first when nobody is interested in sports ?

Look at the threads here in CS, it mostly negative about YOG. Hardly is there a positive thread. We have won some medals, but i have yet to see any threads congratulating our athletes. Many expect government to do more for sports in this country, but as a people, what have we done to help in this direction. How many of us have actually gone to support our local athletes or for that matter offer a congratulatory note to the winners and their coaches through online forums like CS ? Many talk about the lack of support by the general public, thus the notion that schools are being "arm twisted" to attend and support. This is a direct by-product of the lack of support by the general public that the government has had to resort to the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    now that u mentioned it, have we recover the money spent of F1?
    Unable to comment as i dont know how F1 is funded and how the proceeds are split in Singapore. But i would venture to guess that a big part of the cost is funded via sponsorship and ticket sales and proceeds from the TV broadcasting rights which the F1 organizers share with local parties. Whether or not government subsidizes or funds some of these directly, i really dont know. But all i know is, government would have benefited indirectly from taxation collected from businesses that profited from F1 and to some extent GST collection.

Perhaps you have some concrete information you can share about how much is lost due to F1 ?
    Last edited by zero o; 19th August 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsprtan View Post
    Plus, there are always ways to get yourself out of the Matrix. Like ................. Lets not go too detail... haha

The matrix has you!!!!

So, red pill or blue pill?

The attitude of Singaporeans towards sports is that it will not bring you far in life. Thus there is hardly any interest in professional sports. Even if programs were to be started in schools to cultivate sports, will many of us agree to our kids spending more time in sports than their studies ? Indeed, if it is the government's mandate to drum up interest in sports amongst the younger generation, then the 1st task is to drum up interest. Once u have interest, you can build facilities, hire coaches and what nots. Whats the point of hiring coaches, investing in programs and facilities first when nobody is interested in sports ?

Look at the threads here in CS, it mostly negative about YOG. Hardly is there a positive thread. We have won some medals, but i have yet to see any threads congratulating our athletes. Many expect government to do more for sports in this country, but as a people, what have we done to help in this direction. How many of us have actually gone to support our local athletes or for that matter offer a congratulatory note to the winners and their coaches through online forums like CS ? Many talk about the lack of support by the general public, thus the notion that schools are being "arm twisted" to attend and support. This is a direct by-product of the lack of support by the general public that the government has had to resort to the schools.
    Agree with you to a certain extend on the lack of sport support, the social and economical reasons to why we do not produce many (any) world class sportsmen and sports women are not easily summarised in a single post here.

One thing I would like to point out, I think the negativity has been directed to the organisers rather than the coaches and althletes, or even the volunteers for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    too bad it is not a stamp, else it will worth lots of $$
    A YOG Singapore Note will worth more.

Arrow Re: YOG food issue again .....

Looking at the response from the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, there is no word of sympathy for those who had the food poisoning.

Damn atas response too.

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/08...soning-at-yog/

Agreed~!

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Looking at the response from the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, there is no word of sympathy for those who had the food poisoning.

Damn atas response too.

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/08...soning-at-yog/
    So what do you expect him to say? maybe you can draft a speech and send to him...

Anyway, I don't think they are hiding these things lor....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast