Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: YOG food issue again .....

Default Re: YOG food issue again .....

He won't say more, he said everyone else is in so he'll have to also be in.

Quote Originally Posted by hanz170 View Post
    He won't say more, he said everyone else is in so he'll have to also be in.
    hmm.. ok then.

I would assume imagined reprisal, though not without reason. Nevertheless, I doubt they can do much to you if you choose to pull out. There is somehow a lot of perceived threat of reprisal such that very few people seem to dare to do certain things like pulling out of something you were arrowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    No amount of engineering could have prevented the roof from collapsing. Let's move on.

Blog Entries

My son who is "volunteering" is so tired and hardly have time to study for his term exams, I asked him why not just quit, he is fearful of reprisals and so he continues on. He is from a local Poly... I am wondering are all Poly's participating and JC's too? how about the elite JC's?

Since this is a food thread so I will comment something about food also.. at least many volunteers got food to eat albeit not of highest quality food. My son is fasting, no exceptions.
    i'll comment as much as i can comment.

i fought for the volunteering role as a photographer. i'm very happy with it. got to touch gold medal and even wear it, opened up social circle much larger. and i'm happy being a volunteer.

and to say exams is coming, my promos are right after yog. and i'm in jc 1. i'm just gonna self study to make up for lost time once sep study break hits me.

Quote Originally Posted by sampan View Post
    OT,

also saw a thread on EDMW that says one of the 'collectibles' got 'human mistake'..

picture from vpost website

it says Youth Olympic Villoge
    too bad it is not a stamp, else it will worth lots of $$
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

This the latest updated details of the food poisoning...it was not only at ECP.

"26 volunteers including the doctor on duty from two different venues five from the Singapore Indoor Stadium and 16 from East Coast Park were down with diarrhoea after eating food provided by the SYOGOC.

The incident took place last Sunday morning on 15 August 2010 and reports have been made to MOH and NEA, but for three entire days, there were no official statements from both state agencies. Neither did the English or Chinese papers publish any articles on it.

There is no mention of the YOG food poisoning outbreak on the NEA website."

And to hanz170, let me help your son to indirectly say what the "reprisals" are for not "volunteering".

It is a well-known fact by now that principals of some polys and JCs have been using the threat of withholding CCA points, or not issuing a testimonial when they graduate, as a "motivation" factor.

And in case any of you think this is limited only to tertiary institutions, here's what was exposed today, and this had been picked up by Stomp too.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/08...upport-for-it/

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/08...tch-yog-games/

I sense something smelly is going to hit a giant fan soon..
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

no amount of medals is going to erase all the mistakes and ****-ups of this YOG... sorry to say it but, i'm totally not impressed..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Food poisoning is not a joke. Voluntery also human. Due to expensive raw mat the seller tents to sell poison food. I ate curry mutton before n has to rush to hosp at midnite for injection due to food poisoning
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

i fought for the volunteering role as a photographer. i'm very happy with it. got to touch gold medal and even wear it, opened up social circle much larger. and i'm happy being a volunteer.
    Volunteer as a photographer? You mean taking pictures for YOG for free lah.

and to say exams is coming, my promos are right after yog. and i'm in jc 1. i'm just gonna self study to make up for lost time once sep study break hits me.
    Good for you that you genuinely wanted to volunteer, since you are in year1 JC, I am thinking would you still do it if you are in final critical year? also, I am wondering what about the elite JCs are they in it as well? I can't find out more about this if they too are "participating".

It would upset me greatly if they only make certain quarters and exempt others.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    What reprisals? Imagined or concrete?
    ur question has been answered, click on the link posted by clippersg to see the truth in "black & white letters" from the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post

"26 volunteers including the doctor on duty from two different venues five from the Singapore Indoor Stadium and 16 from East Coast Park were down with diarrhoea after eating food provided by the SYOGOC.

The incident took place last Sunday morning on 15 August 2010 and reports have been made to MOH and NEA, but for three entire days, there were no official statements from both state agencies. Neither did the English or Chinese papers publish any articles on it.

And to hanz170, let me help your son to indirectly say what the "reprisals" are for not "volunteering".

It is a well-known fact by now that principals of some polys and JCs have been using the threat of withholding CCA points, or not issuing a testimonial when they graduate, as a "motivation" factor.

And in case any of you think this is limited only to tertiary institutions, here's what was exposed today, and this had been picked up by Stomp too.

photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Blog Entries

Good for you that you genuinely wanted to volunteer, since you are in year1 JC, I am thinking would you still do it if you are in final critical year? also, I am wondering what about the elite JCs are they in it as well? I can't find out more about this if they too are "participating".

It would upset me greatly if they only make certain quarters and exempt others.
    critical years, sch wont wanna risk ur results and ask u go one. most volunteers are sec 3 as far as i interacted. or poly year 2. jc is seemingly little actually. lets say moe didnt wanna let moe students be touched? that was the reason given to reject my initial request as volunteer photographer. so i'm really at a loss when u all say until all jc kenna sabo like free. cause its not true

and shldnt u guys go after the sch than blame yog? its the sch witholding testimonals, not yog. its very unfair to the syogoc ppl to take the blame for unorthodox moves made in polytechs. be objective pls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post

READ properly. it doesnt say volunteering. it says viewing as spectators. there is a difference. yog games tickets arent free. students i assume like them are actually getting free tickets, hence the 5 dollar deposit is for them incase they signed up and didnt turn up. thats how schs do it, and its normal. once u sign up, u pay 5 bucks. u turn up u get it back. if u dun sign up, u dun need to pay. can opt out.

as for the teacher, its the sch. stop blaming yog cause they didnt take a gun to point at schools.

Other nations and their citizens would be glad & proud that their country is hosting such an event. Ya, its not as prestigious as the world cup or the Olympic games, but its a stepping stone. Also for every item that has gone wrong, how about the 100s or the 1000s things that have gone according to plan ? When things goes according to plan, we just dismiss it and say .. ya .. that is expected. Sure,the food poisoning and the spelling mistakes and other technical hitches are embarrassing, but ask any event planner, what are the chances of an event of this scale going off without any hiccups ?

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Other nations and their citizens would be glad & proud that their country is hosting such an event. Ya, its not as prestigious as the world cup or the Olympic games, but its a stepping stone. Also for every item that has gone wrong, how about the 100s or the 1000s things that have gone according to plan ? When things goes according to plan, we just dismiss it and say .. ya .. that is expected. Sure,the food poisoning and the spelling mistakes and other technical hitches are embarrassing, but ask any event planner, what are the chances of an event of this scale going off without any hiccups ?

Other nations would be proud and glad because their own home grown and developed athletics can show case their talent in front of their fellow citizen. Imagine winning medals at home soil...

Right from the beginning, the YOG was set to be a marketing campaign by our Government. It was a whoring exercise. Our Government purely want to take this opportunity to show case some of this country new facilities. IR and what not...

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    What I mean is- did your son receive any "official statements" on the "reprisals" or he based it on hearsay. If so, what do the reprisals consist of?
    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    ur question has been answered, click on the link posted by clippersg to see the truth in "black & white letters" from the schools.
    Thanks, saw the link. Except for the KCP "$5 deposit", can't really discern any concrete "reprisals" set out by the schools.

Which is not surprising given the potential backlash should there be any black and white to hold the school to.

Which was also why I asked if there are any official statements to back up the students suspicious, or such claims can be easily dismissed as being the population being over suspicious.

last sunday i went to watch yog badminton at indoor stadium. happen i over heard a primary school teacher asking the "volunteer" at the entrance how to refund 4 tickets as 4 of her students didnt turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    Other nations would be proud and glad because their own home grown and developed athletics can show case their talent in front of their fellow citizen. Imagine winning medals at home soil...

Right from the beginning, the YOG was set to be a marketing campaign by our Government. It was a whoring exercise. Our Government purely want to take this opportunity to show case some of this country new facilities. IR and what not...
    i have the same view as you.

shoudnt it be the citizen being proud for the country org such event naturely rather than being told to?

look at NDP, we unit as one and feel proud to be singaporean naturely, dont have to be told that we should / must.
    Last edited by denniskee; 19th August 2010 at 09:53 AM.

critical years, sch wont wanna risk ur results and ask u go one. most volunteers are sec 3 as far as i interacted. or poly year 2. jc is seemingly little actually. lets say moe didnt wanna let moe students be touched? that was the reason given to reject my initial request as volunteer photographer. so i'm really at a loss when u all say until all jc kenna sabo like free. cause its not true

and shldnt u guys go after the sch than blame yog? its the sch witholding testimonals, not yog. its very unfair to the syogoc ppl to take the blame for unorthodox moves made in polytechs. be objective pls.

We have conversed in another related thread and I would like to add on here.

Yes, the slots for volunteer photographers might be a case of demand being more than supply, and those who fought for it genuinely wanted that job. To be fair, you did clarify you can only speak based on your own experience in signing up for the position.

But that are situations where students are made to fill up OTHER positions, you need to emphatise beyond your circle.

There is some truth in that the schools are the ones responisble for any dodgy tactics and measures in encouraging/forcing student participantion. However, its should not insulate the higher levels from inquires from the public.

Such big events, more often than not, use the top-down approach. The organising committee sets out the main plan, and the lower levels are delegated to execute it, sometimes following strict guidelines from the top, sometimes having more leeway in the approaches to adopt. When things go wrong, of course the lower level directly involved should be the first to be questioned, but it should never absolved the top level from any responsibility.

If not, its quite a cushy job being the orgainising committee. You get the plaudits when things go well, but the buck always stops at the lower level when things don’t.

It is not a witch hunt here, but the longer such high-handed and non-transparent approaches carry on, the more disportionate would be the backlash from the already disgruntled people.

The BP CEO wasn’t at the oil rig when it ruptured, why did he have to be the one to face the courts and eventually resign?
    Last edited by ahbian; 19th August 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast