I'm like you, looking out for a DSLR.
The Pentax K-X is on top of my list...
1) 2010 TIPA award winning entry level DSLR
2) It's got a sensor that comparable to Nikon D90 in Hi ISO performance (and better than 500D according to DPreview) - best in class
3) Unbeatable price:
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm = $782
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm + 50-200mm = $899
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm +55-300mm = $1103
But it's got it's fair share of shortfalls:
No indicator light in view finder.
Low res LCD
AA batteries a minus to some but plus to others
However the list of Pros is much longer than list of cons - and few camera can boast of this. Check it out at:
Read up and ask around before committing anything...
Last edited by wksoh; 17th August 2010 at 11:19 PM.
The thing I'm afraid is i might get sian of the low-end basic DSLR that i'll yearn for a better one soon..and then spend more money! Also if I do get the basic DSLR..would getting better lens be wasted on them?
Anyway I do see your postings and they are mostly full of knowledge so I would take into serious consideration what u have said! And the links u have provided are pretty amazing!
Whether to get the XXD or XXXD series dSLR is entirely up to you. Some people say XXXD is better for starters like you since it's small but to me(i own a 30D) larger sized dSLR has its' advantages like the secondary LCD, 8 way multicontroller joystick and the quick control dial(the wheel) which can be used to adjust ISO on the fly.
My suggestion is to head down the Canon "showroom" in Vivocity and get your hands on the demo XXXD and XXD camera there. Touch and feel all you want, because you'll be handling one later
Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS
1. Broken high-end camera is still less useful than a good new entry level camera.
2. If worry about getting "sian" of entry level camera, then DON'T BUY, till you saved enough money.
3. Whether you want to consider my advice is up to you. Once I give them, it is up to you to make your own decision.
4. Since you are starting from scratch, I seriously doubt you can master any DSLR (entry level or not) so fast that you will outgrow it within a short time. So no worries about getting "sian" too quickly.
5. Great pictures come mostly from evoking feeling/emotion from pictures. 60% of the picture is getting the composition right. the other 40% comes from getting technicalities right, like exposure, distortions, color rendition, PP, etc etc etc...
6. People have been producing excellent pictures with old lousy cameras since the old times. I don't see them complaining.
Give you an example. Shot with a lousy prosumer (something like your FZ28, just much much older)... picture is full of noise. color is no good... etc etc... but it doesn't matter (not to me at least), the emotion comes from the image in the picture.
And this came from an even older 5mp PnS.
Anything below a Canon 550D is a no no for me as 500D ISO performance leaves more to be desired - and I"ll be thinking of upgrading again.
My suggestion is to roughly decide 1 or 2 lenses you want to own first, compare the lens pricing and size between brands. That way your decision will be clearer.
Pentax lens are smaller as the OS is in the body. Canon lens are bigger as OS is in the lens (lens OS reported to be more effective). Also, some brand new Canon primes are cheap and good.... ! Pentax primes are costly (but very small sized!)
If you saw someone with the White Pentax K-X, you could get emotional... it left an impression on me.
Last edited by wksoh; 17th August 2010 at 11:59 PM.
In this case..let's say I do go either way..what kinda lens should I be looking at for my usage?
Last edited by daredevil123; 18th August 2010 at 12:00 AM.
I've seen a couple of Sigma 18-200 Non-OS lens going for $300+ used..but of cos the question is again how do i check them..
hold the camera and get the feel for d40 and d500 see which feel good. a better body like d40 will last you longer before looking for an upgrade. join the outing and learn from other, dont make it so complicated like some saying so much theory. JUST have fun and enjoy it. can always sell off if you dont like it. All my body are second hand, some ppl super compliant better buy new set. i come across one guy tell me cannot remove lens in open area to check the body im buying, he say dust. I almost feel like slapping him , then better use PNS.
Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,
LOL ! ...If I was in your shoes, I'll get a bright RED Pentax Kx w/ 18-55 / 55-200 dual lens kit for $899 and irritate the heck out of your sister.
Like you, I went from a Lumix FZ18 to dslr(currently an Alpha system).
Actually, come to think of it ...I'm quite tempted to get a colored Kx just to irritate the heck outta my wife !