Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rainsleeve

  1. #1

    Default Rainsleeve

    if anyone has used the optech rainsleeve, we're supposed to remove the eyepiece and there's a hole on the rainsleeve that we need to align with the camera before putting back on the eyepiece.

    question is, once we've put the eyepiece back on its gonna tear the plastic and its no longer reuseable? then there is the difficulty of aligning the hole with the camera?

    i did stretch the hole around the viewfinder and put on the eyepiece, den strapped the cam around my forearm, tucked the rainsleeve in my raincoat, did horseback riding for almost two hours and did shooting on the way up to the mountains. end of the day my wrist nearly broken, and i threw the torn rainsleeve away.

    how did u guys manage?

  2. #2
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    We have been using the same Optech rainsleeve again and again for all our trips.
    I don't enlarge the hole.
    I merely place it over the view finder and then slot in the eye piece.
    Understandably, there will be some stretching of the hole with repeated use.
    But until today, one year after purchasing our Optech rainsleeve, they are still performing beautifully.
    And we are no gentle users... rather rough we are...

    Honestly, this Optech one is quite good compared with normal NTUC plastic bag.
    Then again, $5 for one (comes in a pack of 2 sleeves for $10) can use for quite a number of times, already worth its value, I think.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    my thick fingers wun allow me to align the viewfinder and the hole, and den slot the eyepiece without any misalignment (all these done in the comfort at hotel) but two minutes in the rain i could feel water on the camera body and my though was it's seeping through the hole, hence i stretch the hole over the viewfinder.

    once returned to the hotel, i removed the viewfinder to have torn when the eyepiece goes over and the plastic is no longer see through like new and rather worn.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    We have been using the same Optech rainsleeve again and again for all our trips.
    I don't enlarge the hole.
    I merely place it over the view finder and then slot in the eye piece.
    Understandably, there will be some stretching of the hole with repeated use.
    But until today, one year after purchasing our Optech rainsleeve, they are still performing beautifully.
    And we are no gentle users... rather rough we are...

    Honestly, this Optech one is quite good compared with normal NTUC plastic bag.
    Then again, $5 for one (comes in a pack of 2 sleeves for $10) can use for quite a number of times, already worth its value, I think.

    quick question, i also using this rain sleeve but haven really start using... was trying out that day though... errmm there is a string at one end, is it mean for the lens area and tighten? Pardon me my explanation not good... but if u can show a picture how u usually use will be helpful to me

  5. #5

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    quick question, i also using this rain sleeve but haven really start using... was trying out that day though... errmm there is a string at one end, is it mean for the lens area and tighten? Pardon me my explanation not good... but if u can show a picture how u usually use will be helpful to me
    its a drawstring u're referring to i suppose? thats for the lens, so if u're thinking to shoot in the rain, place it just on the end of the lens hood and tighten, if gonna stow away and run for shelter, you can put it to cover the lens hood and move quickly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by montroy View Post
    its a drawstring u're referring to i suppose? thats for the lens, so if u're thinking to shoot in the rain, place it just on the end of the lens hood and tighten, if gonna stow away and run for shelter, you can put it to cover the lens hood and move quickly.
    yup. hmm but wat if i am not using hood (lazy )? i find it kinda hard to tighten.

  7. #7
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    quick question, i also using this rain sleeve but haven really start using... was trying out that day though... errmm there is a string at one end, is it mean for the lens area and tighten? Pardon me my explanation not good... but if u can show a picture how u usually use will be helpful to me
    Quote Originally Posted by montroy View Post
    its a drawstring u're referring to i suppose? thats for the lens, so if u're thinking to shoot in the rain, place it just on the end of the lens hood and tighten, if gonna stow away and run for shelter, you can put it to cover the lens hood and move quickly.
    Aiyah sorry but I haven't got a picture to show.
    But montroy explained it exactly.
    I will always tighten the draw string at the base of the lens hood.
    Without lens hood it is rather difficult to use this rainsleeve cos it will slide.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Without lens hood it is rather difficult to use this rainsleeve cos it will slide.
    yah that's the problem i am facing... it will always slides off haha... ok next time i will try again with hood.

    need to know how to use this rain sleeve to prepare myself for songkran next year april

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rainsleeve

    songkran i suppose u'll need to walk about. with the setup i explained in the first post, you can still expect your cam to get wet, but from condensation due to heat built up in the sleeve. i dun think it'll be much effective if someone take a pail and splash directly at you, you can expect water so seep inwards to the barrel and even the cam body.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •