Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon vs Nikon

Default Re: Canon vs Nikon

Please play nice.

Any signs of flame-baiting or trolling and thread will be shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    Examples of conditions - outdoor in the evening, under limited lightings from lamppost or other light sources. Or in a restaurant/house taking pictures of food, people in nice ambient light. Not dark like I can't even make ot the faces. Can see faces clearly, but not very bright, with slight movements but not like playing sports kinda movement.

I don't really like to use flash, totally destroys the pictures IMO (unless it is a studio shoot). I tried adjusting aperture using AP, but of course the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed too. I have experimented with adjusting aperture and shutter to allow more light and increasing ISO. Picture (and lighting) looks ok but blur, due to myself - not stable enough. Then I see some other photographers next to me, snapping away without flash with a DSLR (higher model, different brands). Of course I am assuming their pictures will turn out fine. Hence I research and come to the conclusion that my equiments are not fast enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Budget wise I can stretch a bit to accomodate the body. I have already sold my 400D with kit lens.

Question : To start off here, is it better to get a lower range camera (eg Canon 550D or Nikon D90) and a better (faster) lens, or a better camera with kit lens (Canon 50D, 7D, 5D or Nikon D300s,etc)? I am open to 2nd hand gear and of course will upgrade the lens a step at a time while working on my skills which is just as, if not more important than the gear.
    With your budget of 1.5-2.5k,

For Canon:
    - 550D with Tamron 17-50 if you want zoom, if not try Sigma 30mm or Canon 28/1.8
    7D if your budget allows or wait for a little longer for 60D to be announced this month.

For Nikon:
    - D90 (due for replacement very soon) with Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 30mm / Nikon 35/1.8
    - D300s if your budget can stretch a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
    Hiya,

I should fit into your 'newbie' definition - I've used Nikon D90 for a year, and I was in the same dilemma, albeit different kind, as you - Canon or Nikon.

Personally, I always thought Canon has more vibrant colours, but I always wanted a Nikon. I read tons of reviews for six months and couldn't make up my mind. Was afraid of stepping into camera shops for fear of being dissed. Then one day, I went down to the camera shops and tried the cameras out. I like the ergonomics of Nikon and like even the way the menu is dished out in the screen. So it was Nikon in the end.

If I were a man, I would buy the then D300. It looked so solid, but so was the weight.

I had to settle for D90 but I realised that it is indeed a good camera compared to its predecessors eg. D40. I always shoot in JPEG, never RAW, becos the colours are good enough for me as long as I set the colour setting to 'vivid'.

can sense that u r a happy user

Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post

I had to settle for D90 but I realised that it is indeed a good camera compared to its predecessors eg. D40. I always shoot in JPEG, never RAW, becos the colours are good enough for me as long as I set the colour setting to 'vivid'.
    Bro Rain, I didn't know Nikon can adjust colours on the camera. So it manipulates the images to make it look more 'vivid' as opposed to 'neutral' or something? Though I personally prefer minimal manipulation if I can help it.

Nikon is able to set the picture control while shooting which gives you different tones for colors, like vivid, monochrome and etc..

Many other brands and model can have different profile for colour, brightness, contrast, saturation settings as well...

Between Canon 50D and 7D or Nikon D90 and D300s, is it worth the price difference to get the higher models for both brands since they are all not FF?

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Nikon is able to set the picture control while shooting which gives you different tones for colors, like vivid, monochrome and etc..
    All cameras can do this. It's not limited to Nikon.
    Alpha

Bro Rain, I didn't know Nikon can adjust colours on the camera. So it manipulates the images to make it look more 'vivid' as opposed to 'neutral' or something? Though I personally prefer minimal manipulation if I can help it.
    Yes, all DSLR (regardless of brand) cameras can do this.
    Alpha

we really should put an end to this "Nikon colours are more ______ , whilst Canon colours are more ______" because these are based on the default parameters for straight-from-camera JPEGs.
    Firstly, the JPEGs can be tweaked in the camera menu to be more or less vivid, saturated, etc.
    Secondly, most people shoot in RAW, and thus colours etc are adjusted to taste in post-processing.

I don't understand the reluctance to use flash, especially when it sounds like TS is talking about direct flash. Perhaps he has not yet explored all the options, like bounced/diffused flash.
    A simple upgrade might be to get a standard fast zoom, like Tamron 17-50/2.8 and a decent flash (eg 430EX), which should fall within the stipulated budget...
    If really still cannot, then save up for something like 7D lor...
    Exploring! :)

Yes so far it is only direct flash for me. If I can help it, I prefer not to use any flash options, for now. Also, there are times I want to take performance shots in a hall where flashes are prohibited.

I would prefer to find some way to increase my budget to get a model that can use without flash for my needs. I am considering the suggestions of either D50 or 7D. My initial budget is a guideline, where I am very comfy. But looking at the situation now, I will try to stretch here and there if it is really needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Please play nice.

Any signs of flame-baiting or trolling and thread will be shut down.

support.... ANY sign of flaming from ANYONE ....... THREADSTARTER will get infraction.....

heh heh heh !!
    Last edited by ed9119; 17th August 2010 at 06:33 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Yes so far it is only direct flash for me. If I can help it, I prefer not to use any flash options, for now. Also, there are times I want to take performance shots in a hall where flashes are prohibited.

I would prefer to find some way to increase my budget to get a model that can use without flash for my needs. I am considering the suggestions of either D50 or 7D. My initial budget is a guideline, where I am very comfy. But looking at the situation now, I will try to stretch here and there if it is really needed.

Hmm from experience , if there is really very low light , bumping up ISO to max plus using the fastest lens probably will not give you your ideal image. A high ISO enabled camera no doubt gives you smoother and cleanier shots , but you lose the details as well. Hence, another trade off to consider.

Personally , I find that in lighted room at night, at F2.8, I already need to shoot a low shutter speeds around 50-15. Which induces camera shake easily on my 18-55mm when not careful.

I find it easier to just throw a fill flash . If too harsh, you can use light modifers like a Softbox to soften the light, so that it will not appear to be too harsh . Or you can do bounce.

For situations where flash is not permitted like concert, then you probably need a fast 1.4 Prime or a 2.8 Zoom plus tripod
    Alpha and Omega

Since TS don't intend to use flash for his photography, I would suggest ...

Canon 35mm f/2.0 $400 +

Canon 50mm f/1.4 $500 +

Canon 85mm f/1.8 $500+

Bundled up with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 $600+
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Blog Entries

Why no flash?? Flash is nice you know....

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Why no flash?? Flash is nice you know....

nice... the woman in the photo looks like Chen Li Ping you know.. or am i mistaken?
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    nice... the woman in the photo looks like Chen Li Ping you know.. or am i mistaken?
    shes not that bah bah yet oops :x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    I am not that honored to shoot wedding of Ah-Yo-Yo...

I am not Willy Foo nor am I Bryan Kit.

Bro Ouverture, Bro Zero, Bro Atarandas & Bro Odyssey...

Thanks for the recommendations!!! Coincidentally the 4 bros seem to recommend the similar gears. Am glad this thread was fruitful. I will be gunning for this: Canon 7D (hopefully, otherwise bo pian 50D), Canon 50mm 1.4 (read a lot of good reviews on this too) and Tamron 17-50mm for starters. I will do some research on Odyssey's other suggestions too.

By the way, is it true that journalists prefer to use Nikon? If yes, why so?

Blog Entries

Bro Ouverture, Bro Zero, Bro Atarandas & Bro Odyssey...

Thanks for the recommendations!!! Coincidentally the 4 bros seem to recommend the similar gears. Am glad this thread was fruitful. I will be gunning for this: Canon 7D (hopefully, otherwise bo pian 50D), Canon 50mm 1.4 (read a lot of good reviews on this too) and Tamron 17-50mm for starters. I will do some research on Odyssey's other suggestions too.

By the way, is it true that journalists prefer to use Nikon? If yes, why so?
    Do note that F2.8 lenses are not really that great low light lenses as well.

You really ought to aim for F1.8, F1.4 and F1.2 if you are really going to shoot a lot of low ambient light shots.

If you notice that shot I attached a few posts up? That was shot with Tamron 17-50. No enough light even though the place was lighted with florescent light. In the end, I still had to flash.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th August 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast