Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Taking pics... do we need approval ???

  1. #21
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    What does JJC stands for? You should have ask the policewoman if what offence, if any, has been committed by you. Whose permission do you need? At times, we, as photographers need to stand up. Ask for clarification politely. Only then, will you understand. Do not be cowed by the law enforcers in blue.
    AFAIK, Jurong Junior College. there's a neighbourhood police post at the block just behind it. This rerminds of that the MOE HQ was part of the JI's targetted bomb targets, if I remember the newspaper article correctly.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    I think u can counter sue her. She has no right to bring you to police station based on just little evidence. Find a lawyer and write a letter to HQ and remember to ask her ID numbers.
    actually she have the right to bring you back, singapore is BIG. she can suspect you planting a bomb or whatever it is the reason to bring you back.
    whatever it is the world now is on high amber, just be little carefull where you're shooting.

  3. #23

    Default

    What about taking photographs of people?
    We must ask their permission first right?
    Even if it is a large group of passing people?

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    What about taking photographs of people?
    We must ask their permission first right?
    Even if it is a large group of passing people?
    if taking as you personal protfoilo no need, taking for competition need.

  5. #25

    Default

    When we were in Vietnam, my friend was always wanting to take pictures, especially of the colourful hill tribe people. He started off asking them if he could take a photo of them, sometimes by pointing at his camera and then at them, and almost all of them would stick one finger up and say "one dollar!"

    After that, I just told him to swivle the LCD away from the body, so that he can face one way and the camera another and just snap, and nobody was the wiser Then again, won't work in Singapore where everyone knows what a digital camera is, in the hill tribes area, don't think they've ever seen a digital camera before!

  6. #26

    Default

    The rule of thumb here is that we all need to exercise proper "discretion". We've entered into a "higher alert" era, whereby threats to life and property is on the rise. Hence, it is important to be mindful of our surroundings, the implications of our actions as intepreted from what others may think and perceive.

    I've been approached by police at the Changi Jetty (where u take the little boats to Ubin) for taking pictures. What my friend did was he showed them on his LCD screen what we took. We smiled like gentlemen. Showed no fear nor panic. And the officers were very polite as well. They said this is a sensitive. And we agreed, and walked away with our cherished images.

    At least in Singapore the security people are considered to be polite when approaching photographers. In even more sensitive places, especially in the US, they may not even give a crap to your explanation.


  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larren Chen
    well recently i took sunset pics of Orchard from a roof of a building... but the security came up to me n told me to seek permission from the management before i can take any pics...

    i thought that it was ok...

    any comments ???
    Shouldn't the security be asking you to get permission from the SUN?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    When we were in Vietnam, my friend was always wanting to take pictures, especially of the colourful hill tribe people. He started off asking them if he could take a photo of them, sometimes by pointing at his camera and then at them, and almost all of them would stick one finger up and say "one dollar!"

    After that, I just told him to swivle the LCD away from the body, so that he can face one way and the camera another and just snap, and nobody was the wiser Then again, won't work in Singapore where everyone knows what a digital camera is, in the hill tribes area, don't think they've ever seen a digital camera before!
    Haha...
    Those tribes sure see digicam B4... So many backpackers around...
    1 way is to just start taking without asking them 1st, but if they show some hostility, or some gesture that looks like they dun want u to take their pics, then dun take...

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Singapore (Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    Shouldn't the security be asking you to get permission from the SUN?
    haha... not sure n i think i wun ask also... haha... well next time i will check out the place before i trigger my camera...
    Simple Is Beautiful...

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    I've been approached by police at the Changi Jetty (where u take the little boats to Ubin) for taking pictures. What my friend did was he showed them on his LCD screen what we took. We smiled like gentlemen. Showed no fear nor panic. And the officers were very polite as well. They said this is a sensitive. And we agreed, and walked away with our cherished images.
    as long as you don't photograph the petrol pump shop and the police post, you're ok.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  11. #31

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    I think u can counter sue her. She has no right to bring you to police station based on just little evidence. Find a lawyer and write a letter to HQ and remember to ask her ID numbers.
    Before you do any of the above, be sure that you seek competent legal advice first. Have you heard people being charged with not obeying/complying with lawful instructions of a police officer ! Worse still, do not resist!!

    By 'suing her', you are also taking on the Singapore Police Force, who is her employer, not to mention the numerous govt agencies.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 17th May 2004 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    I've been approached by police at the Changi Jetty (where u take the little boats to Ubin) for taking pictures. What my friend did was he showed them on his LCD screen what we took. We smiled like gentlemen. Showed no fear nor panic. And the officers were very polite as well. They said this is a sensitive. And we agreed, and walked away with our cherished images.
    Heheh... I was approached by a 'friendly' police officer too yesterday at the bridge at Changi Jetty... I was taking photos of the boats at the jetty with my 70-200mm lens mounted... I guess I was too inconspicuous there...

    But the point is, I very glad that they are vigilant to this extent... A clear explanation (and showing him my IC... but he didn't take down my particulars) was sufficient to clear the doubts... It's little things like these that can act as deterents to potential chaos-makers...

    And btw, I get to keep my shots too...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larren Chen
    well recently i took sunset pics of Orchard from a roof of a building... but the security came up to me n told me to seek permission from the management before i can take any pics...

    i thought that it was ok...

    any comments ???
    hey! same thing happened to me at odeon towers! which building were you on?

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central Singapore (Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    643

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by LiOnElLiN
    hey! same thing happened to me at odeon towers! which building were you on?
    oh haha both of us same happenings...

    well i was at lucky plaza... at orchard, overlooking CK Tangs, Wisma and Takashimaya... when i was about to finish taking, the security guard jus came over to me...
    Simple Is Beautiful...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •