Thread: Nikon Lens

Default Nikon Lens

Hi,
    may i ask all of u for advice on which lens should i buy next?

I have a D3000 with a 18-55mm lens currently.
    so i am thinking of getting a 55-200mm lens which i think it is more useful as the wide angle lens only serve one purpose.

Pls correct me if i have the wrong mindset.

Thanks.

Yuan Lin

Default Re: Nikon Lens

How do you feel limited by the 18-55? Besides, all lenses only serve 1 purpose: To help a photographer capture an image.
    Alpha

55-200 mm would be a good compliment to your current lens. 18-55 covers wider angles -bring more things into the picture, great for group photos, etc. Whereas 55-200 mm is meant for further reach - when your subject is very far away and you want to close up on it. Eg, across the track and field from the spectator's stand... The FOV (field of view) angle is narrower, that means you'll have more of the subject than everything else...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 16th August 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnchian View Post
    Hi,
    may i ask all of u for advice on which lens should i buy next?

so i am thinking of getting a 55-200mm lens which i think it is more useful as the wide angle lens only serve one purpose.

Pls correct me if i have the wrong mindset.

Thanks.

Yuan Lin
    It depends on what you want to shoot. If you feel that you are limited by the shorter focal length of the 18-55 then by all means get the 55-200. Basically all lens serves only one purpose, to enable you to take pictures. If you are saying that it can only take a certain genre of pictures then i have to disagree with you. A 18-55 can take a lot of pictures from landscapes/cityscapes to portrait/fashion shots. How good the pictures are depends on the photographer, not the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnchian View Post
    Have you tried turning the zoom ring? The 55mm end is far from being a wide angle on a cropped sensor body like D3000.
    EOS