Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some enquries on DSLR

Default Re: Some enquries on DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by saDdyJ86 View Post

thanks bro, but correct me if i'm wrong, i seldom see people carry pentax. hahax.
    Photography has little to do with what other ppl carry
    You might not have noticed it since you are not familiar with the brand. To a layman, any big black box with lens is a Canon, Nikon or Sony camera

night86mare is a pentax user. This is one of his threads.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722350

true, there is some post-processing and filters involved. But the point here is any camera, be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc. is capable of producing quality pictures in the right hands. So don't worry about how seemingly (less) popular a brand is.

I see the others have answered your questions about the camera stores.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I did not say you are out to mislead. But if you provide information that is inaccurate, you are misleading people unknowningly. Everyone knows you have nothing to gain here by doing it on purpose. To say that I am accusing you of intentional misinformation is simply ridiculous, and I do not see how you can misread my post to come to such an incomprehensible conclusion.

your point that lower priced bodies are not as versatile in the ISO capabilities is a thing of the past. Pentax Kx is as versatile in ISO as D90/D300/A500 simply because it uses the same sensor made by Sony. It has an image processer that is more advanced (because it is newer) and thus the High ISO noise performance edges out the abovementioned models. It is lower priced simply because of market strategy, where Pentax is trying to gain market share. There is nothing to say that a certain company cannot sell a lower priced entry level camera with as good ISO capabilities as other mid priced models.
    Good, in that case, I stand corrected. My original write outs will be corrected. However, I still think that lower priced bodies will not be as capable, due to market differentiation according to price points, meaning, now that entry bodies can do ISO 12,800, it almost certainly the next iteration of better bodies of the same generation will do ISO more than 25,600. Thus, cheaper bodies will always be 'less capable', unless you are comparing to previous generation bodies, of which the argument becomes moot. It's just that we happened to be at the peak of the technological jump, that we see such high ISO numbers, so in all due course, my explanation of cheaper bodies' ISO performance remains valid. Thank you.
    Last edited by nic67; 18th August 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Comex prices really sucks. Just get the camera during Comex but at the normal stores. For list of stores look at price guide section. You can get pricing and store info there.

Many people saying it will be announced within this month. Once announced, you will see it on the store shelves as soon as 2 to 4 weeks.

Funny. I see many people carrying Pentax esp Kx nowadays. What you don't know you don't see?
    lolx. perhap i didn't really see it carefully. hahax. thanks bro for your wonderful help. big thumb for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    In Consumers Corner (Marketplace): http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340845
    Price Guides (Marketplace): http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
    Unlikely that you will find similar prices at shops and Comex. These IT fairs always sell RRP and include some freebies (read: things that are cheap and look somewhat helpful, but aren't). Shops start the other way around: Camera set only, lowest price, then including useful things. Up to you to say "no" and only take the basic kit. Get only what you know, never trust a sales person telling you what you should get.
    thanks bro. will take that into my notes. think will start hunting from this week onward.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Photography has little to do with what other ppl carry
    You might not have noticed it since you are not familiar with the brand. To a layman, any big black box with lens is a Canon, Nikon or Sony camera
    yup. absolutely agreed with what you said. lolx. i gonna start looking at pentax camera. hahax.

hi guys, sorry, some doubts have just flow into my mind,

1) every how many month or so, should i send my DSLR for a service check?

2) any recommendation from guys for cheap and trustable service centre for DSLR?

should be that's all for now. thanks.

1) every how many month or so, should i send my DSLR for a service check?
    It's a camera, not a car. There is no oil service needed. Cleaning outside is your job, cleaning inside is best left to service center when required. Unless you know what you are doing ... (e.g. sensor wet cleaning).
    2) any recommendation from guys for cheap and trustable service centre for DSLR?
    Each camera brand has its service center in SG, it's stated on the warranty card and also online. They have fixed prices fort defined activities, see online.
    There are a few shops offering services as well. But only the 'branded' service centers will have spare parts to replace faulty components.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It's a camera, not a car. There is no oil service needed. Cleaning outside is your job, cleaning inside is best left to service center when required. Unless you know what you are doing ... (e.g. sensor wet cleaning).

Each camera brand has its service center in SG, it's stated on the warranty card and also online. They have fixed prices fort defined activities, see online.
    There are a few shops offering services as well. But only the 'branded' service centers will have spare parts to replace faulty components.
    icic. so bro could i ask when would you do the internal service? every how mani month or so ah?

icic. so bro could i ask when would you do the internal service? every how mani month or so ah?
    Erm. He already told you: "cleaning inside is best left to service center when required". In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If nothing's wrong, there's no need to get it checked.
    Alpha

Hi there

Just happened to read this thread and wanted to contribute some of my thoughts as a newbie

I have used Sony alpha, Nikon and currently pentax systems. To be frank, there is no such thing as which brand is better. I went through the same process as you and hence I try to hands on as many different system(specific models)as possible and then determine based on my budget and what I need.

1) what is your budget? You got to take into consideration the lens you will be getting(Typical 18-55mm kit lens offer only approx 3x zoom and entry level dslr usually does not have video function), the accessories like cleaning kit, dry cab, tripod depending what you like to shoot. This will be your bottom line "damage". My initial budget was 1k but because i like wildlife shots, I realised that for me to get good pictures, this is far too little to get anything decent. You got to plan a little ahead and roughly gauge your needs. Trust me, this hobby consumes alot of cash haha.

2) What specific function do you need in the dslr? Like for me, i need my camera to be able to cope with low light shots and not too ex in terms of price. Kx fulfill these two pt better than my previous a330 not to mention that it has a additional video function. Some prefer to have a big grip or are used to a certain system handling, like some of my friends are die hard canon user due to the fact that they like the design better than any other system. I urge you to go showrooms to try or try out your friends dslr or if you have narrow down, try to rent and play with it for a day.

Try to google and read as much review as possible. For me I also check the BnS section. This helps me to gauge the prices of lens for the particular system and what is the availability as i am a budget shooter. Some system like canon and nikon have plenty of users, so u can buy sell easier while brands like pentax has a much lower user group so second hand stuff might not be that easily available.

Do look around and narrow down your search. Ask those Dslr users around you, I am sure they can give a clearer picture(hands on too) in helping you decide!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Erm. He already told you: "cleaning inside is best left to service center when required". In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If nothing's wrong, there's no need to get it checked.
    ic. sorry bro. guess i miss out that. thanks for informing me.

Quote Originally Posted by titus1984 View Post
    Hi there

Just happened to read this thread and wanted to contribute some of my thoughts as a newbie

I have used Sony alpha, Nikon and currently pentax systems. To be frank, there is no such thing as which brand is better. I went through the same process as you and hence I try to hands on as many different system(specific models)as possible and then determine based on my budget and what I need.

1) what is your budget? You got to take into consideration the lens you will be getting(Typical 18-55mm kit lens offer only approx 3x zoom and entry level dslr usually does not have video function), the accessories like cleaning kit, dry cab, tripod depending what you like to shoot. This will be your bottom line "damage". My initial budget was 1k but because i like wildlife shots, I realised that for me to get good pictures, this is far too little to get anything decent. You got to plan a little ahead and roughly gauge your needs. Trust me, this hobby consumes alot of cash haha.

2) What specific function do you need in the dslr? Like for me, i need my camera to be able to cope with low light shots and not too ex in terms of price. Kx fulfill these two pt better than my previous a330 not to mention that it has a additional video function. Some prefer to have a big grip or are used to a certain system handling, like some of my friends are die hard canon user due to the fact that they like the design better than any other system. I urge you to go showrooms to try or try out your friends dslr or if you have narrow down, try to rent and play with it for a day.

Try to google and read as much review as possible. For me I also check the BnS section. This helps me to gauge the prices of lens for the particular system and what is the availability as i am a budget shooter. Some system like canon and nikon have plenty of users, so u can buy sell easier while brands like pentax has a much lower user group so second hand stuff might not be that easily available.

Do look around and narrow down your search. Ask those Dslr users around you, I am sure they can give a clearer picture(hands on too) in helping you decide!

Cheers!
    good sharing from you bro. thanks you so much. your just give me another big help there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nic67 View Post
    Good, in that case, I stand corrected. My original write outs will be corrected. However, I still think that lower priced bodies will not be as capable, due to market differentiation according to price points, meaning, now that entry bodies can do ISO 12,800, it almost certainly the next iteration of better bodies of the same generation will do ISO more than 25,600. Thus, cheaper bodies will always be 'less capable', unless you are comparing to previous generation bodies, of which the argument becomes moot. It's just that we happened to be at the peak of the technological jump, that we see such high ISO numbers, so in all due course, my explanation of cheaper bodies' ISO performance remains valid. Thank you.
    Actually, if you look closely at Nikon's traditional line up. The differentiation between models is not and has never been, ISO capability.

Eg. D100, D70, D50, D40. All in the same generation. All ISO capabilities (and sensors) are identical.

Eg. D200, D80, D60, D40x. All in the same generation. All ISO capabilities (and sensors) are identical.

Eg. D300s, D300, D90, D5000. All ISO capabilities (and sensors) are identical (except for D300, it is a slightly different sensor. ISO same though). Nikon got lazy here, and in the D3000, they just reused the sensor from D60/D40x

It is this misconception you have, that many others also have, that makes them think a D300s will have better ISO capability than a D90 or a D5000. Boy.. they are so wrong.

It is not a definite that all manufacturers will cripple their entry level cameras in ISO. There are so many other areas they can differentiate their product on. If you ever used a D300s and a D90, you will understand why and how they can still differentiate between models while they are using the same sensor with same IQ and same ISO performance. They differentiate in build, functions, compatibility with advanced accessories, controls and speed of operation. Not IQ or ISO capability. But you are partly right that some companies are starting to do so (like Sony). But not all brands are doing the same. Maybe it is the start of a new trend, since price competition is so strong, that brands just want to push out super cheap entry level cameras that they used sensors from the previous generation. But then again a company like Pentax will come out with the Kx to totally dispell that notion, and "spoil the market" with a high performing entry level camera, with colors to boot too. It is like chess.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th August 2010 at 06:05 AM.

But then again a company like Pentax will come out with the Kx to totally dispell that notion, and "spoil the market" with a high performing entry level camera, with colors to boot too. It is like chess.
    Why is it like chess??
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enzeru21 View Post
    Why is it like chess??
    Someone comes out with something better at the same price group, the next year another brand puts out something better, then the following year some other brand puts out something even better...

Each topping the others at different points in time. Isn't that like chess?

daredevil123 | Nope. It is like anything that involves competition in life.

Someone comes out with something better at the same price group, the next year another brand puts out something better, then the following year some other brand puts out something even better...

Each topping the others at different points in time. Isn't that like chess?
    i thought Chess is like thinking 3-5 steps ahead of your opponent... then taking dam long to make one move~! haha..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

1. what is the functions or specifications that is important to look out for or comapre when purchasing a DSLR? (i.e what is the main function or specification that is important for a DSLR camera?)

2. which brand is better? canon or nikon? what are the difference?

3. how to look after a DSLR?

4. any gentlemen out there can recommend me a decent DSLR a) without any budget? b) with a budget of less than $1k?
    Functions : look for something you need.

Brand : Also, brand makes no difference.. it is what brand CATERS to YOUR needs.

Look after : Buy a UV filter to 'protect' your lens, and put your lenses and body into a dry box/cabinet..

Recommendation : With no budget, anything can be bought, it's a matter of preference when no budget is concerned.
    But with a budget of less thn 1k,

2nd hand : Canon EOS 40D with kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) = ~$800.
    1st hand, abit hard...
    7D gripped, 17-55/2.8, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 50/1.8.

i just went down to megatex at expo hall 5b yesterday and tried out the nikon d3000 and d5000 and canon 550d, de image capture by canon 550d is freaking brilliant. and to me what i had tried, canon seem to me more easy to operate rather than nikon. i intend to tried canon 1000d and 500d, but their 1000d spoilt and 500d ran out of battery. but what the seller said about 1000d is that this camera is for primary and secondary school kid. while he said 550d is for beginner. lolx. but to me 550d is kind of ex. damn sad.

i just went down to megatex at expo hall 5b yesterday and tried out the nikon d3000 and d5000 and canon 550d, de image capture by canon 550d is freaking brilliant. and to me what i had tried, canon seem to me more easy to operate rather than nikon. i intend to tried canon 1000d and 500d, but their 1000d spoilt and 500d ran out of battery. but what the seller said about 1000d is that this camera is for primary and secondary school kid. while he said 550d is for beginner. lolx. but to me 550d is kind of ex. damn sad.
    The seller smoked you pretty well. In real life, on your PC, you would not be able to tell the difference between the 550D and the D5000.
    Alpha

salesman will say anything to smoke customers to get them to buy the product they are selling.

I once overheard a Canon salesman telling this lady about the functions of a 550D, and he told her that only Canon has live view...

I had my Sony A550 in my bag at that time, I almost wanted to take it out and show the lady the live view from A550 and tell her the salesman is talking crap...

I think is the display screen of the 550d. I see my friend one, take any picture also so chio! Then go back home post online the pic look the same as what any other camera captured.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast