Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do DSLRs focus indoors?

Default Re: How do DSLRs focus indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    For 450D, focus assist only works with pop-up flash up.
    If you look at the top right side of the 450D's front near the grip, the focus assist light is the round thing that emits an orange beam.
    my impression was that it uses the pop up flash to assist focus.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page6.asp

AF Assist
    As with previous 'Rebel series' cameras the EOS 450D uses its flash for AF assist. If you need to use AF Assist you must pop-up the flash which will fire a brief strobe of flashes (sometimes just one) to help the AF system to lock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my impression was that it uses the pop up flash to assist focus.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page6.asp
    That is correct. the xxxD and 1000D cameras do not have AF assist lamps built it. It uses a small burst of flash to help the camera focus in dark situations.

So if you are focusing on subjects very very far away... you have to depend on hyperfocal distance or your eye in very dark situations.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th August 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks guys for the advice, seems like my solution would be one that requires me to get flash instead of a lens to tackle low light conditions. My beef with pop up flash is that they are very harsh and whites out the person in front.

Maybe I'll go rent flash for a day and give it a shot.

Anyway speaking of Spinworkx, side track a little, I actually help out at Spinworkx and do a lot of photo taking for them, it's a 450D and not really professional but it gets the job done most of the time.

Just yesterday our local champion this year went to toe World Yo-Yo Contest and did Singapore proud by getting 3rd in the World for the most difficult freestyle category! You can check out Singapore's best here if interested =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhaolf3K7qI

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewOMBP View Post
    Thanks guys for the advice, seems like my solution would be one that requires me to get flash instead of a lens to tackle low light conditions. My beef with pop up flash is that they are very harsh and whites out the person in front.

Maybe I'll go rent flash for a day and give it a shot.

Anyway speaking of Spinworkx, side track a little, I actually help out at Spinworkx and do a lot of photo taking for them, it's a 450D and not really professional but it gets the job done most of the time.

Just yesterday our local champion this year went to toe World Yo-Yo Contest and did Singapore proud by getting 3rd in the World for the most difficult freestyle category! You can check out Singapore's best here if interested =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhaolf3K7qI
    congrats to our local champion!

hope you get more wonderful photos of these folks in action!

For Nikon system, if speedlight SB600 and above is mounted, the speedlight casts a "grid"-like beam from its red LED lamp to assist with auto-focus. This is less irritating than the bright AF assist beam on the camera body, and also because of the "grid", the focusing seems marginally quicker.
    I think Canon system might be the same. I've seen wedding photogs in action with 580EXII mounted, and I don't see a burst of light from the flash when auto-focusing.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Flash is very fast, at around 1/10000s. The flash is the thing that freezes the motion, not the shutter speed. You need to get your facts straight, or at least understand the concepts before saying anything.

And I really don't see how a VIDEO of a yo-yo demonstration can show "how hard it is to freeze a yoyo player when they are serious".
    I like the phrase "... couldn't freeze a single shot with my skills at that time..." (post #5)
    sounds like someone has "gained" some superpowers recently
    Maybe like Hiro Nakamura in Heroes?
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I like the phrase "... couldn't freeze a single shot with my skills at that time..." (post #5)
    sounds like someone has "gained" some superpowers recently
    Maybe like Hiro Nakamura in Heroes?
    Yatta!!

Anyway TS, when you use external flash, remember to try to bounce to make the flash light not-harsh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12