Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How far has Singapore Photography advanced?

Default Re: How far has Singapore Photography advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Many newcomers have the misconception that getting the lastest gears will somehow improve their photographs. Which couldn't be more wrong.

They do not study the works of the masters; Like: what makes their photos so attractive/enduring. Is it the perspective? Composition? Lighting? The use of a particular focal lens? .........

I have noticed the frequent use of ultra wide-angle lens for wedding photography; The brides/grooms are mostly shown in distorted forms. Persons also getting smaller in the photo , as if the background is more important than the subjects in the photos. The old school way of shooting portrait with a normal lens/telephoto lens seems to be less trendy nowadays.

Also, there isn't much interesting/intimate postures of the brides/grooms in the photos(mostly the same posture repeated again & again); Compare with those from Australia/US, you will know what I mean. Somehow, I get the impression that the "wide-angle" photos are taken for the sake of trendiness because everybody is doing it, so it can't be wrong. Hence, the subject itself is often less emphasized in the photos. Or, I will say: They are just placed in a spot to complement the extraordinary view that the wide-angle lens provides.

;
    Well said...Studying each others' techniques and improving on them is a great way to improve. In fact I wouldn't even consider it "copy".
    Sometimes I think we should share more about the "masters" we study and the techniques used rather than the equipment that we use. Often we get too caught up with tech discussions, that we forget...
    that the camera is only as powerful as its welder.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Many newcomers have the misconception that getting the lastest gears will somehow improve their photographs. Which couldn't be more wrong.

They do not study the works of the masters; Like: what makes their photos so attractive/enduring. Is it the perspective? Composition? Lighting? The use of a particular focal lens? .........

I have noticed the frequent use of ultra wide-angle lens for wedding photography; The brides/grooms are mostly shown in distorted forms. Persons also getting smaller in the photo , as if the background is more important than the subjects in the photos. The old school way of shooting portrait with a normal lens/telephoto lens seems to be less trendy nowadays.

Also, there isn't much interesting/intimate postures of the brides/grooms in the photos(mostly the same posture repeated again & again); Compare with those from Australia/US, you will know what I mean. Somehow, I get the impression that the "wide-angle" photos are taken for the sake of trendiness because everybody is doing it, so it can't be wrong. Hence, the subject itself is often less emphasized in the photos. Or, I will say: They are just placed in a spot to complement the extraordinary view that the wide-angle lens provides.

;
    You must be as old as I am but I completely agree with you. It's more difficult to take good close-up portraits so why not just put them in little corners where you can't even tell who they are. Maybe, in this digital age, good photos are meant more to confuse than for pleasurable viewing.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    Well said...Studying each others' techniques and improving on them is a great way to improve. In fact I wouldn't even consider it "copy".
    Sometimes I think we should share more about the "masters" we study and the techniques used rather than the equipment that we use. Often we get too caught up with tech discussions, that we forget...
    that the camera is only as powerful as its welder.
    You are right. I can't imagine anyone can claim to be fully original. OUr senses are receiving informations all the time. Like it or not, we are consciously or sub-conciously copying someone's ideas/opinions everday.

The study of composition/perspective go all the way back centuries ago. So, nobody can claim to be the originator, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    You must be as old as I am but I completely agree with you. It's more difficult to take good close-up portraits so why not just put them in little corners where you can't even tell who they are. Maybe, in this digital age, good photos are meant more to confuse than for pleasurable viewing.
    I am amazed by photographers who can portray a couple in many ways through the use of different perspectives/postures/emotions in a simple environment (no need beautiful sceneries/special wide angle lens).

They are more observant in many ways, in a photographic sense.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    we also have to stop getting into this trap of trying to be "unique".

these days, i'm seeing a trend of new people trying to "carve out a niche", "break new ground". to be honest, all these people claiming to do that are not doing so, they are just copying people that they don't know they are copying.

there is no real need to be different or special for the sake of being so. just do what you want to do, what you like to do, and you will tend to feel happier when you do it, think of more things to do. definitely much more conducive than just flitting around aimlessly trying to be unique.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    Some how "no time" feels like an excuse.

If we really have no time, then no one should have the time to come forums and discuss anything.

But if you scroll and see what is discussed... people spend more time discussing about equipment, technology, cameras, than really art or photography in itself.

Isn't it sad?

Ask ourselves, when is the last time we visited a gallery and helped posted a comment? Esp in the critique's corner?

What section do we often surf more? :P
    I'm not sure what is the best answer for TS's question. Maybe we look into the questions below:

1) How about the education system in Singapore? Does it really encourage the students to show and build up their creativity?
    2) How about the populations in Singapore? Do majority of them really appreciate arts? How many of them are influenced to make arts as their hobby?
    3) How many people in Singapore will make arts as their career?

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I'm not sure what is the best answer for TS's question. Maybe we look into the questions below:

1) How about the education system in Singapore? Does it really encourage the students to show and build up their creativity?
    2) How about the populations in Singapore? Do majority of them really appreciate arts? How many of them are influenced to make arts as their hobby?
    3) How many people in Singapore will make arts as their career?
    Art as a career in SG CMI....
    End up u need to work other part time them u able got rice to eat.....sad to said that nut I think is real in SG....

Blog Entries

........ go to the polys and Universities..... and art schools eg. NAFA , LaSalle etc etc ........ media studies is exploding.

The poor starving artist who lives and dies for art has evolved into a more modern and pragmatic creature today mostly in some way working in a media-related industry ..... not millionaires but definitely not living on bread and water by the roadside
    Last edited by ed9119; 18th August 2010 at 06:53 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Setup many schools for arts is one thing, how the whole nation perceive and appreciate it is another thing. Being a very small island without any natural resources, it is important to spend time to earn money as much and fast as possible for the future and no doubt Singapore has done very well on this. But the setback is that the citizens have lost the appetite for stuff like arts and sports. There's no right or wrong though.

I urge all to do some research on this.

Singapore has only 1 society in the 1950s. Since after... it have now grown to 4 institutes/ clubs/ societies (maybe more?) which is recognized by National Arts Council. Many of the larger scale photography competitions, certifications judges and advisory committee are senior members of these clubs/societies.

Anyone heard about FIAP? We are a member of it.

The earlier photos of Singapore are largely influenced by the UK and China Societies. Just like Chinese and the British working hand in hand during the early building days of Singapore.

Much was focused on correct composition and the Artistic for of Expression. Painting like photos... technically speaking. Much reflects the daily life of Singaporean and its landscape.

Only then when in the 1980s where Commercial Photography came in (all the fashion stuffs - Your movie and B?W TV times) things became more vibrant. Then.. there is this photojournalism (Nat Geo magazines got imported) and street photography coming in where it brings about another fashion of shooting.

Think we have advanced a lot. Think about it.... Russell Wong, Wee Kim, and all the big names that have gone beyond our shores to shoot fashion and celebrities.

Cheers!
    心到,眼到,手到。
    genone3, Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123