Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far has Singapore Photography advanced?

Default Re: How far has Singapore Photography advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    When i was on a student attachment program in canada in the 90s, the hotel manager whom i was working with referred me to her giant atlas map and asked me "where is singapore?"...i think there are still many out there today.
    To most Americans and Canadians, the only countries in the world are Mexico, Japan, China, SKorea and Thailand.

I remember for Malaysia, we always say we are "south of Thailand, north of Singapore".

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    To most Americans and Canadians, the only countries in the world are Mexico, Japan, China, SKorea and Thailand.

I remember for Malaysia, we always say we are "south of Thailand, north of Singapore".
    Maybe its because.... *AHEM*, we might not have anything significant to be remembered for?

We might not have THAT much impact on arts / society / culture / technology in the world ?

Why would anyone remember if there isn't a direct impact in our lives?

For example, do you know where Honduras is on the map? Which continent?

If it isn't for the World Cup would you have known?

If you still didn't know where it is, I wun blame u either... why would u need to know?

I don't think Vincent Van Gogh & the other masters had thought about such questions when they were creating & experimenting with new concepts & paintings. To them, it's probably an inner journeys/visions, which is quite individualistic; They have got talent in the first place, of course!

So, rather than thinking of what is "Singapore Style". It is more appropriate to think of "What is my vision". Look inside. Art is afterall a very personal thing.

I am not sure if there is a photo which we can easily say, "this was shot by an American"..............by a Japanese........by........

Photography is very different from painting leh. Lots of limitations; Unless you focus on 'still life' shots exclusively, then probably you can focus on certain 'theme'/'object' to make your statements or opinions about something. People will recognise more easily who is the artiste of such works.

yes . i have similar experience... their globe is smaller i guess....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    So, rather than thinking of what is "Singapore Style". It is more appropriate to think of "What is my vision".

true true........ each should spend more time identifying their personal style and vision ...... i.e. how far has YOUR photography advanced should be a more worrying question ? Describing what is Singapore Style is the work for historians 50-100 years later when they look at the collective efforts in an attempt to identify common threads (eg in terms of subject matter, perspectives, processing, colors etc etc )

Just like today.... when you look back at prints from the colonial era..... there were certain common 'signatures' (from my eyes anyway)
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th August 2010 at 01:39 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    Maybe its because.... *AHEM*, we might not have anything significant to be remembered for?

We might not have THAT much impact on arts / society / culture / technology in the world ?

Why would anyone remember if there isn't a direct impact in our lives?

For example, do you know where Honduras is on the map? Which continent?

If it isn't for the World Cup would you have known?

If you still didn't know where it is, I wun blame u either... why would u need to know?
    In the case of Americans and Canadians, their country is so freaking huge and self-sustaining that they don't need to know/bother about other countries. I always find it funny how they can call their sports tournaments as "world series" when the sports in question isn't even popular in other parts of the world (American football, baseball etc).

On art, I think its getting more and more difficult to categorize art simply by country or nationality. Culture is no longer localized.

Smile Re: How far has Singapore Photography advanced?

In here , we call it abeng photography .

Hmmm Can someone show me a US style photo and European style photo?

Quote Originally Posted by biskandar View Post
    In here , we call it abeng photography .
    ... and the subjects are usually XMMs.

Doubt if we have ( as a nation ) developed our own character and flavor distinctively. But with the intro of digital media into the scene, there is definitely more photography uptakers as digital cameras becomes an almost common accessory.

we also have to stop getting into this trap of trying to be "unique".

these days, i'm seeing a trend of new people trying to "carve out a niche", "break new ground". to be honest, all these people claiming to do that are not doing so, they are just copying people that they don't know they are copying.

there is no real need to be different or special for the sake of being so. just do what you want to do, what you like to do, and you will tend to feel happier when you do it, think of more things to do. definitely much more conducive than just flitting around aimlessly trying to be unique.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    we also have to stop getting into this trap of trying to be "unique".

these days, i'm seeing a trend of new people trying to "carve out a niche", "break new ground". to be honest, all these people claiming to do that are not doing so, they are just copying people that they don't know they are copying.

there is no real need to be different or special for the sake of being so. just do what you want to do, what you like to do, and you will tend to feel happier when you do it, think of more things to do. definitely much more conducive than just flitting around aimlessly trying to be unique.
    I concur
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Blog Entries

its like a 1-piece of a 5000 piece jig-saw puzzle trying to see what the WHOLE pic looks like while the jigsaw is still being put together

It cant.............

Not until the entire jig-saw is totally assembled ........... will OTHERs in FUTURE can see the whole picture
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I think Singapore is too small to be creative in arts, photography and technology. Everyone in this small island has to work hard for a living in their daily life, hence they have no time to dedicate into these creative stuff. The environment is so constraint. You can see the kids in primary schools and you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    I think Singapore is too small to be creative in arts, photography and technology. Everyone in this small island has to work hard for a living in their daily life, hence they have no time to dedicate into these creative stuff. The environment is so constraint. You can see the kids in primary schools and you will understand.
    Hong Kong work life is worse than SG and yet they've come up with some pretty good stuff over the years.

Hong Kong work life is worse than SG and yet they've come up with some pretty good stuff over the years.
    Some how "no time" feels like an excuse.

If we really have no time, then no one should have the time to come forums and discuss anything.

But if you scroll and see what is discussed... people spend more time discussing about equipment, technology, cameras, than really art or photography in itself.

Isn't it sad?

Ask ourselves, when is the last time we visited a gallery and helped posted a comment? Esp in the critique's corner?

What section do we often surf more? :P

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post

What section do we often surf more? :P
    i surf photoshoots section to fantasize about xmm smiling at me...

To develop vision and style is just simply follow your heart.

Shoot for your passion and not for anything else.
    I have seem so many ppls here shoot for others, praises and attention, slowly it will become a chores to them.

They and their works will just slowly fade away and been forgotten as they easily replace by many newcomers.

By following your heart, even if your works is not up to par to be remember, at least you are true to yourselves, recording your life thru photography.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i surf photoshoots section to fantasize about xmm smiling at me...

....and having nightmares from surfing too much XMMs
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Many newcomers have the misconception that getting the lastest gears will somehow improve their photographs. Which couldn't be more wrong.

They do not study the works of the masters; Like: what makes their photos so attractive/enduring. Is it the perspective? Composition? Lighting? The use of a particular focal lens? .........

I have noticed the frequent use of ultra wide-angle lens for wedding photography; The brides/grooms are mostly shown in distorted forms. Persons also getting smaller in the photo , as if the background is more important than the subjects in the photos. The old school way of shooting portrait with a normal lens/telephoto lens seems to be less trendy nowadays.

Also, there isn't much interesting/intimate postures of the brides/grooms in the photos(mostly the same posture repeated again & again); Compare with those from Australia/US, you will know what I mean. Somehow, I get the impression that the "wide-angle" photos are taken for the sake of trendiness because everybody is doing it, so it can't be wrong. Hence, the subject itself is often less emphasized in the photos. Or, I will say: They are just placed in a spot to complement the extraordinary view that the wide-angle lens provides.

;
    Last edited by johnlim; 17th August 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast