Thread: Pocket PC

Default Pocket PC

Need some inputs from you guys regarding pocket PC. I am asking this on behalf of my cousin. What is your recommendations for a good pocket pc and what do I need to be able to surf online. I am not familiar with Pocket PC so pls explain as detail as possible. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    this is singapore palm user guild

There are alot of brands of pocketpc in singapore now.... depends on which type you are going for and your budget.

HP Ipaq is the most popular now.... should have the most user
    Ipaq1940 the lower range, 2210 the mid range and 4150/4350 high end range

Toshiba are the slightly more exclusive type.... e400 and e800 for those who want a higher resolution currenty the first n only 640x480 i think

Fujitsu Loox ...abit bulky.... but features wise quite powerful

There are a few pocketpc with phone features now....O2 xda2 and the upcoming Ipaq6300

Smartphones are phones with pocketpc functions.... like mitac8380/8390 or O2 Xphone or motorola mpx200

So to surf net, do you have to sign up with a local ISP? Are there special plans for pocket pc user?

pocketpc got a few ways to surf net

normal pocket pc can use WIFI to surf or Bluetooth.... if the pocketpc doesnt have built in bluetooth or WIFI u will need to get a SD or CF wifi/bluetooth card.
    if by bluetooth will be ppc bluetooth to pc bluetooth then from pc to internet
    if by WiFi, simple any wifi zone will do....currently singtel is 10cent/min
    starhub is 5cent/min.... dunno got changes or not

UNLESS u get XDA2 or XDA1.... which has buildin phone features ....u will be able to surf thru GPRS will is still expensive...its about $100 per 20mb

or Smartphones like mitac8380 or motorola mpx200 will also be able to utilize GPRS but screen is smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    pocketpc got a few ways to surf net

normal pocket pc can use WIFI to surf or Bluetooth.... if the pocketpc doesnt have built in bluetooth or WIFI u will need to get a SD or CF wifi/bluetooth card.
    if by bluetooth will be ppc bluetooth to pc bluetooth then from pc to internet
    if by WiFi, simple any wifi zone will do....currently singtel is 10cent/min
    starhub is 5cent/min.... dunno got changes or not

UNLESS u get XDA2 or XDA1.... which has buildin phone features ....u will be able to surf thru GPRS will is still expensive...its about $100 per 20mb

or Smartphones like mitac8380 or motorola mpx200 will also be able to utilize GPRS but screen is smaller...
    Thanks kegler.

So you mean if using bluetooth, PC must be on at all time and connected to internet?

And by WiFi, do we get to change the zone anytime? And how are they going to charge you, through the phone bill? Need to sign up first before using?

WiFi will be in place like macdonald or delifrance.... its only in an area

unlike GPRS its anywhere....

For WiFi u need subscription for some places....n some places like mac r still free....or nydc(1 coffeee = free)...

For WiFi subscription checkout Singtel or starhub....dun be so lazy....do a search....

thx

Quote Originally Posted by kegler
    WiFi will be in place like macdonald or delifrance.... its only in an area

unlike GPRS its anywhere....

For WiFi u need subscription for some places....n some places like mac r still free....or nydc(1 coffeee = free)...

For WiFi subscription checkout Singtel or starhub....dun be so lazy....do a search....

thx
    Thanks a lot!!

I have the 4150. It's fantastic. Can surf with either WiFi or GPRS. Only complaint would be lack of landscape support, so had to be a different browser to have it (ThunderHawk). This should be fixed with next release of windows mobile 2003, later this year.