Thread: Isolated Jetty

Default Isolated Jetty

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I need feedback on the composition and maybe post processing technique.
    I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the "no longer accessible jetty".

This picture was heavily cropped because i only have a 10-20 with me..

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want viewers to feel its a pity that authorities have forbid the access to the jetty through the picture. This jetty @ Labrador Park used to be a hang out for fishing enthusiastic, nature lover and photographers.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?

I took this picture because I was sad to know that the jetty was no longer accessible by public.

Picture was taken around 1900hrs, over cast sky, low tide.

Thank you for your honest feedback.
    Last edited by chiangkxv; 15th August 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Default Re: Isolated Jetty

upz for a lazy sunday..

I am a noob but just share what I feel about the pic.

You are using ND filter to make the sea look smooth that's nice but I think overall the picture looked very pale and white. Maybe if you wait for the sun to just set see if the sky colour would be nicer.

It looked more like isolated sea as the Jetty doesn't seem to be the main subject (maybe taking it from another position to let the jetty take up more space in the frame would be nicer? But again it might be you cannot move upclose to the jetty.)

Horizontal looked alittle tilted to me (maybe that's me).

Again personally I prefer the jetty extending vertically OUT into the sea rather than horizontaly across the frame but again that might not be possible.

To highlight isolation maybe I would try to focus on the algae, rust, dirt and the lamp post of the jetty to highlight its age,etc but again maybe it's not possible with 10-22. Or maybe include something that shows "NO ENTRY" to bring out the idea of "forbidden to enter".

I know nuts about PP so cannot comment on that, sorry if I said too much.
    Cheers! Would love to visit the place myself too.

Hi Gundamseed84,

Thank you for your comments...

Yes, i was pretty restricted on where i can take the picture of this jetty.

As for the wash out colour, i thought it might fit the mood. haha. seems like it did not work... will see how i can process this picture again. maybe converting it into B&W might work better.

Hi Chiangkxv,

Art is a self-expression, it need not conform to anything.

First off, it really depends on what you are trying to do, how you want to treat it.

All views may not be the best, and there are multiple ways to present the same subject.
    What gundamseed suggest is good. I would suggest trying the algae shoot or wat not, but remember, that is ANOTHER picture, not this picture at all. It cannot replace this one, not be a substitute for it.

Getting to the point,
    I like the fact that there isn't too much color in the sea. I hate high saturated pictures, and i feel color here will be a distraction, rather than a aid.

What are you trying to show here? If its just jetty, show just the jetty.

I'm a minimalist, so if its ME, i'll rid the blue ship, or at least desaturate the ship, the yellow from the lamp, crop some of the left part of the picture out so that the jetty occupies a bigger part of the picture, and thus more dominant. I wouldn't crop too much left though, as the ships tell the picture too. If you wanna keep aspect ratio right, crop more sky than sea. The sea occupying +ve space is nice....

Result is a jetty with a little ship on the left, 9 black legs in the sea. Minimalistic enough?
    Try it and u see. U get another picture! I'm not saying its better than yours, I'm saying another picture could be created from one.

Keep shooting, try cropping, see less as more. The possibilities would be endless!

Photography is like art... there's no right or wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    I'm a minimalist, so if its ME, i'll rid the blue ship, or at least desaturate the ship, the yellow from the lamp, crop some of the left part of the picture out so that the jetty occupies a bigger part of the picture, and thus more dominant. I wouldn't crop too much left though, as the ships tell the picture too. If you wanna keep aspect ratio right, crop more sky than sea. The sea occupying +ve space is nice....

I would rid the horizon of all the ships and convert the picture to black and white. The only thing standing out would be the jetty.

minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

I would rid the horizon of all the ships and convert the picture to black and white. The only thing standing out would be the jetty.

minimal.
    while i admit that that would give a more pleasing image, i must say that by personal standards, i would do no such thing. but to each his own.

wonder why no one has mentioned that this photograph looks badly sharpened - more of oversharpened side. edges are looking jagged.

composition wise, i fear that somewhere along the way, the long exposure fad has become somewhat of a novelty. i understand that the jetty being straight can be a problem - but things like the jetty blending into the horizon, the inclusion of ships on the right, all these are things that the photographer has every opportunity and option to pick and choose.

Hi daredevil123, pegasus7777777 and night86mare bro...

Thank you for your advise. I'll revisit Labrador park with all the pointers in heart..