Thread: Monopod or VR?

Default Monopod or VR?

Hi there,

I am relatively new to photography and has been practising shooting outdoors and at indoor events with a Nikon D80 with a 70-300mm G (non-VR).

I realised from my practise that it is difficult for me to get a sharp shot, handheld, at long focal length from around 200mm -300mm as my hand would usually tremble quite a bit.

Hence, I was wondering if I should save up and invest in a 70-300mm lens with VR capabilities or should I just go with the relatively cheaper alternative of buying a monopod to stabilize the camera when shooting at long focal length at events.

Additional info:

I would probably have to save up for sometime before I could get myself the 70-300mm lens with VR capabilities.

Lens such as the 70-200mm VR that pro-photographers uses are outside of the question for my budget and earning powers.

Default Re: Monopod or VR?

If you only shoot sports, get a cheap 2nd hand mono pod for like <100 and get the 70-300 VR 2nd hand too. Reason being that the 70-300 VR is optically superior than the 70-300G, and is worth the 600 bucks.

If you dont, get a tripod that allows you to remove one of the legs for a monopod, then save up for other lenses or the new 70-200 2.8 from tamron or sigma.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

If you are tight on budget get the monopod first but the VR would be a good investment because there are times where you want to use it handheld and the VR version would come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Recel View Post
    Hi there,

I am relatively new to photography and has been practising shooting outdoors and at indoor events with a Nikon D80 with a 70-300mm G (non-VR).

I realised from my practise that it is difficult for me to get a sharp shot, handheld, at long focal length from around 200mm -300mm as my hand would usually tremble quite a bit.

Hence, I was wondering if I should save up and invest in a 70-300mm lens with VR capabilities or should I just go with the relatively cheaper alternative of buying a monopod to stabilize the camera when shooting at long focal length at events.

Additional info:

I would probably have to save up for sometime before I could get myself the 70-300mm lens with VR capabilities.

Lens such as the 70-200mm VR that pro-photographers uses are outside of the question for my budget and earning powers.
    At that kind focal lenght 200mm-300mm, you would have to a shutter speed of at least 1/200 -1/300 seconds in order to prevent blur image due to camera shake.

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice!