Thread: What Lenses to bring for Holiday in Japan?

Default What Lenses to bring for Holiday in Japan?

Will be going to Japan for a week in Jun and for those who have been there, need some tips on what equipment/lenses to bring and the good places to go for shoots.

Which camera do you use? I would take just the 28-135 IS.. a good range and general walkaround lens.. You should take a wide angle lens for landscapes like a 20/24mm or 17-40L... Just these two lenses should be enuff..

I am using the 300D. Yes I have the 28-135 as well as the 24-70 f/2.8L. Also have the 18-55mm that came with the camera and the 50mm f/1.8 II. So far this is what I have in my arsenal...Which should I bring or do I need a longer zoom lens like 70-200?

Quote Originally Posted by snappaholic
    I am using the 300D. Yes I have the 28-135 as well as the 24-70 f/2.8L. Also have the 18-55mm that came with the camera and the 50mm f/1.8 II. So far this is what I have in my arsenal...Which should I bring or do I need a longer zoom lens like 70-200?
    the 28-135 is good enough already. 28-70 is too heavy, 18-55mm is too lousy, the 50mm f/1.8 is good to bring too :>).

70-200, optional, but I would not bring it if I were you, instead, I go get a 1.4x TC

bring your 24-70 lor. good enough. no need to bring too many lens. enjoy the trip.

Do I need a tripod too?

Quote Originally Posted by snappaholic
    Do I need a tripod too?
    if you are shooting nite cityscape yes... the cityscape at nite in shinjuku, Ginza area are fantastic...

OK then will bring one. Any other good spots in Tokyo, Kyoto or Hokkaido?

dude, just bring along your kit lens.... it's not as BAD as all said it's!

Salim Madjd brought his Digital Rebel & kit lens and produced these (with his 1D):

http://www.pbase.com/salim/japan_2004