Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: YOG disgrace sia

Default Re: YOG disgrace sia

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    i do think that generally people are taking on a too political view on the YOG issue. Since Singapore has already decide to host it, then why not support it and see it thru? How will all these whining and complaining reflect on ourselves in the eyes of the foreigners?

get used to it, at least they are serving you food, althou the quality of food can definitely be improved. how can you expect the athletes to be taking the same food as volunteers? there is nth such as fairness in this world... if there are, there wouldnt be officers specs and man in the army... each of them command different prestige and respect thou they are all NSF!
    what mean by "support it and see it thru?"
    why are we afraid of "How will all these whining and complaining reflect on ourselves in the eyes of the foreigners?"

why should we afraid of let the foreigner know the truth?

stronger party will alway be the winner when the people support blindly and afraid of let other to know (btw, this happen in all around the world)

Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu View Post
    this happen in all around the world, not only singapore
    Precisely. I was speaking particularly in singapore. It does happen everywhere as you've pointed out. So what's the complaint about??

Why are there so many complaints then about the volunteer getting less good food compared to the athletes? I don't see much point.

There will be no end to such comparisons in life. One will be very miserable.

For those who complained, I wonder if they really expected the volunteers to get similar foods to the athletes. That, we know, is clearly impossible.

If you argue, Well, at least give the volunteers more decent food. The authorities will reply you, Isn't rice, a piece of chicken, some long beans and corns unreasonable? Define reasonable. Hawker food? 5 star restaurant food? How reasonable is reasonable? Who sets the standards?

I see little point in the arguments. It's going to be just another complaint similar to how expensive ERP, transport, HDB, etc. But this is reality. This is Singapore wad!

wow..this thread is still ongoing...

most probably it could be just a one-off "mistake" during packing of food...do note that they do have to pack quite a nos of boxes so mistakes are quite inevitable.. Even in NS, sometimes different packages of food also have different "quality" ....anyway as some of you have noted as well, "quality" really differs based on personal opinions...

For me, I was taught since young not to waste food..So even though sometimes NS food does not taste gd, I will still try to finish everything...But think now young ppl think differently as I read in newspaper that quite a no of them just throw the food away during the YOG...

I also notice if a event does not have direct benefits to a person, "bashing" of the event sometimes happen.... For me who is not a youth anymore and does not catch YOG action frequently, I still happy that we are able to host a world sports event.. This may not happen again in our lifetime.....We will be setting a benchmark for future YOGs....

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    If you argue, Well, at least give the volunteers more decent food. The authorities will reply you, Isn't rice, a piece of chicken, some long beans and corns unreasonable? Define reasonable. Hawker food? 5 star restaurant food? How reasonable is reasonable? Who sets the standards?

I see little point in the arguments. It's going to be just another complaint similar to how expensive ERP, transport, HDB, etc. But this is reality. This is Singapore wad!
    I think that's not the point. We should not be so conservative and stick to standards from the past. I don't know what the previous generation's life was like so I cannot say for sure, but the fact is that living standards have gone up in Singapore. I don't think any of the volunteers expect the same level of food as the athletes. The point is we need to treat them with respect and appreciate their efforts. Appreciating their efforts means treating them decently and not giving them food that would be considered more than enough 5 years ago or in a third world country. Appreciating their efforts sometimes means caring for them and giving them the kind of food an average person can expect to eat daily.

I have volunteered for many things and the food shown in the photo leaves a lot to be desired. I have gotten far higher levels of appreciation for volunteering, most organisers would show some appreciation, even if it's just a little thing like asking you if you need a break..It's part of a gracious society. I don't think this should be the way to promote the spirit of volunteerism, saying how some people in other less developed countries don't even get as much food. That is saying that to volunteer is to degrade yourself.

I also don't think that just because this is an isolated case, we should not care about it. If you just wasted a billion dollars for your company in a day, should they also ignore it because it only happened once? It is a small thing, yes, nobody will die from having less food, but I feel there should be some accountability in this. If we let all these things happen just because it is just a minor fault, then we are just denying that things are happening. Discussing about these things also show that we care about our people. When we stop sticking up for our fellow people who are not being treated fairly, then it means that we no longer care about our countrymen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so are you saying that for past ndp parade, if i'm not wrong, they give mcdonald/kfc meals for the people helping out that everyone seems to be quite happy with...

mcdonald/kfc meals no one seems to be making noise, but needless to say, the nutritional value is overdone - i.e. way too many calories and way too unhealthy.

i don't believe that people actually bother about the "basic nutritional value". if that is the case, no one will eat chicken rice. no one will eat char kway teow. no one will eat a lot of things - 50% or more of singapore standard hawker/food court fare is in no way nutritionally balanced.
    hmm. then we have to move on to question what is the aim of the organiser when providing food for volunteers? if its to ensure they wont faint, we can judge by nutritional value. if its to keep them happy... then it becomes more subjective.

(this is just for the sake of gp. i need some practise and some stuff to think abt )

anyways, i went down to the YOV. they had a buffet spread for all volunteers. i'll vouch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    from what i know about SFI...here's a good example:

Jurong camp has 2 camps. Camp 1 (Div HQ with Div Comd and 3rd Signals), Camp 2 (Combat Engineers).
    Food was catered by SFI
    Camp 2's food was pretty much crap most of the time... i got my first taste of Camp 1's food when my friend from the Div HQ invited me to their cookhouse. their food not only tasted better, it smelt WAY better and looked WAYYYYY better as well.

moral of the story is:

the food is better when you're eating where the big boss eats. other than that, expect sub-standard food. food elsewhere in the YOG served by SFI is wayyy better because of WHO it's being served to
    so true
    sit down together with the organizing committee if you want better food.
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    imagine cost of the meal in question is $2, food, fruit, water & transport of the food (per serving).

$2 x 3 meals x 15 days x 7000 volunteers = $630,000

Profit is $5,500,000 - $630, 000 = $4,870,000
    May be you should be providing the food and tell us if become rich after that. 7000 volunteers where you get that number from? Please go do your research properly before you make the claim!

Quote Originally Posted by aloyyolaaloy View Post
    so true
    sit down together with the organizing committee if you want better food.
    Navy and Airforce always gets better food then army.....that is the fact. Why is it like that? The world is never fair.....that is the fact. By complaining does it get you any where? Work your way up is the only way. Constantly upgrade yourself and work hard. LYK already says that Singapore is working based on merits. You work hard and perform well you get better treatment. You idle your time away by complaining...you deserved to eat grass.

Navy and Airforce gets to take the first cut of the top talents in the SAF. Top 20% performer goes to Airforce and Navy in OCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    YOG organiser...

Wake up!

Is this how you treat our children?

You owe us an explanation!
    If your children is as talented as them, they will get the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I think that's not the point. We should not be so conservative and stick to standards from the past. I don't know what the previous generation's life was like so I cannot say for sure, but the fact is that living standards have gone up in Singapore. I don't think any of the volunteers expect the same level of food as the athletes. The point is we need to treat them with respect and appreciate their efforts. Appreciating their efforts means treating them decently and not giving them food that would be considered more than enough 5 years ago or in a third world country. Appreciating their efforts sometimes means caring for them and giving them the kind of food an average person can expect to eat daily.

I have volunteered for many things and the food shown in the photo leaves a lot to be desired. I have gotten far higher levels of appreciation for volunteering, most organisers would show some appreciation, even if it's just a little thing like asking you if you need a break..It's part of a gracious society. I don't think this should be the way to promote the spirit of volunteerism, saying how some people in other less developed countries don't even get as much food. That is saying that to volunteer is to degrade yourself.

I also don't think that just because this is an isolated case, we should not care about it. If you just wasted a billion dollars for your company in a day, should they also ignore it because it only happened once? It is a small thing, yes, nobody will die from having less food, but I feel there should be some accountability in this. If we let all these things happen just because it is just a minor fault, then we are just denying that things are happening. Discussing about these things also show that we care about our people. When we stop sticking up for our fellow people who are not being treated fairly, then it means that we no longer care about our countrymen.

Food = respect? That is like how I treat my pets.... We are humans we should be able to see things beyond that. We volunteer because we want to serve the country, we want to make this YOG and event for the world to see who we are as Singaporean. Is food that important? To me is a side issue. Just like serving in the NS. Everyday I eat fishball noodles without fishballs and I eat rice with just one fish cake sometimes. Do I feel like I am not respected? Why do we serve our country? So that we have a nice meal? Not sure about the rest, But I serve my country because I love her and will do anything to make her successful.
    Last edited by lightning; 16th August 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries

LOL ! Many of you are commenting as if you had actually eaten/subject-to such a meal

My 2 cousins and an office intern are volunteers and they report that food is now very nice (actual feedback was that it was not fantastic but pretty OK already even before the Opening Day... just got even better now) .

The horse is dead .....NEXT topic !!...................... (eg.. how come most of the telecasts so far show half empty venues ??? or.... more than a few YOG vehicles drivers seem to be so darned yah yah on the roads since the Games started like they have a license to be a road-bully.) START NEW THREAD(s)
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th August 2010 at 11:33 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. then we have to move on to question what is the aim of the organiser when providing food for volunteers? if its to ensure they wont faint, we can judge by nutritional value. if its to keep them happy... then it becomes more subjective.

(this is just for the sake of gp. i need some practise and some stuff to think abt )

anyways, i went down to the YOV. they had a buffet spread for all volunteers. i'll vouch for that.
    if want to ensure won't faint, just give them heaps of plain white rice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if want to ensure won't faint, just give them heaps of plain white rice.
    really? i thought beansprouts were the way to go

The way i see it the topic is not about food at all.

It's about how the top people everyday bs the kids about being loyal to country, support the event, give with your heart etc etc, but in return the top guys betrayed the kids by not looking out for them.

Loyalty works both ways. The people give for the country, the govt take care of the people, but alot of people feel that isn't happening.

Blog Entries

heh heh heh I just gave the horse a kick...... no response..........
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I will ned to eat 6boxes of that to fill me up

is it organic?

It's only going to go round and round and round .....

Thread closed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910