Thread: Isolation

Default Isolation

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

The composure of the image and the colour.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope to achieve a sense of sadness of the image. Seeing a tree which is slowly rotting away as the days goes by.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

it was a hot shiny day. When the sun was at its best. I had the set my shutter to 1/400 f 7.0. And i was kinda pissed of bout something. That made me took this image.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Well, i think tat i manage to get what i wanted from the image. Which is "Isolation" Being isolated from rich soil, being isolated from other tress, being isolated on the edge of a beach.

Thank you in advance for looking at my picture.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Isolation

first impressions.... the tree seems to be a little cramped on the left ?

nice touch with the slight color tone and vignetting effect but yes, that is a moody image
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I personally feel that 'isolation' wasn't brought out really well.

isolation is a kind of contrast. but there's only one tree there. ok, u said "Being isolated from rich soil, being isolated from other tress, being isolated on the edge of a beach.", but sorry, I can't see that in the picture. and this is a pretty tight frame, so I can't really see this tree standing alone on the long stretch (if there's any) beach.

the picture is cropped too tightly on the left..

either give more breathing space on the left or remove the tree..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Yes, I feel sadness when I see this photo. I think you have more or less acheived your objective according to "2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?"

But in terms of "isolation", I think HelloNiHao has raised a valid point which I had missed initially when looking at the photo. This photo does meet your objective of "sadness", except that in terms of "isolation", somehow it is too tightly composed/'cropped away at the left' to convince viewers about this point. Yes, I can see it is isolated from rich soil.

It's not bad as a concept picture; A good attempt. Anyway, this kind of representation may not be as easy as a pure landscape photo(pretty straightforward) in which it's main purpose is to show the beauty of light, color & composition........ You need really convincing points to make a statement.