Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: urban upside-down

  1. #1
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default urban upside-down




    1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    i'm looking for honest critique on the composition of the image, the colors that played out, the illusions created by the real (the street) and reflected (the building).

    2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    i wanted to capture a different perspective of an everyday image. make people want to look at the picture for even just half a second longer because the image just grabs attention.

    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    this was taken in a fairly sunny afternoon, during my early days of really learning the camera. on P mode, f/6.3, 1/125 sec. -0.7 EV, ISO 200

    4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    considering this was an early attempt, i think it came out ok. looking for ways to improve as i learn to train my eye to "see the shot"

    honest and constructive C&C's most welcome

  2. #2

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    nice concept to me, it was all fine, just that i think its abit saturated, and maybe you do crop away the top right hand corner, and do away with the litter at the top... good pic

  3. #3

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    It's a nice image, nothing to pick on the exposure & composition.

    But I think the image will attract my attention for a longer period of time if it's inverted/upside-down. It's more unusual; The distorted building and the inverted road side make it even more intriguing.
    Last edited by johnlim; 13th August 2010 at 10:56 AM.

  4. #4
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
    nice concept to me, it was all fine, just that i think its abit saturated, and maybe you do crop away the top right hand corner, and do away with the litter at the top... good pic
    thanks for the comments. i do get into a little trouble with my laptop's monitor not showing the same brightness/colors as my desktop's monitor at the office, even though i've tried calibrating it using calibrize. i'll be extra careful next time with the colors. and you're right, now that you mentioned it, the top could use a little cleaning up.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    It's a nice image, nothing to pick on the exposure & composition.

    But I think the image will attract my attention for a longer period of time if it's inverted/upside-down. It's more unusual; The distorted building and the inverted road side make it even more intriguing.
    i did tinker with the idea of turning the upside-down image upside-down, but when i looked at it, i thought it wouldn't have a strong INITIAL attracting powers as an inverted building would. i think the double inverted image would work better if, for example it was on a large print on display, where people got the time to really examine the picture and then realize they're looking at an inverted image.

  5. #5

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Nice and creative. Would have better as stevesteve has suggested, crop the top left and remove the litter.

  6. #6

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    there's nothing wrong with this photo. i like it the way it is. interesting perspective.

  7. #7
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    Nice and creative. Would have better as stevesteve has suggested, crop the top left and remove the litter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    there's nothing wrong with this photo. i like it the way it is. interesting perspective.
    thanks for the (sometimes conflicting) comments guys. appreciate it

  8. #8

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    hey bro, i like this picture and your concept.

    apart from what has been mentioned, perhaps you also might want to hide yourself from the reflection of the water. or if that is not you, wait for the person to move away.

    i really like the concept! good job!

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    I thought it is a cool picture. Well done!

  10. #10
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebokeh View Post
    hey bro, i like this picture and your concept.

    apart from what has been mentioned, perhaps you also might want to hide yourself from the reflection of the water. or if that is not you, wait for the person to move away.

    i really like the concept! good job!
    hi orangebokeh. no, that's not me in the picture. i actually waited for someone to pass by then snapped the picture, i thought it would add some mystery to it. thanks for the comments though, will try to go back there (hopefully the puddle of water is still there ) and try again without anybody in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I thought it is a cool picture. Well done!
    thanks DD123

  11. #11

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    not really a new concept, to be frank - just perhaps not so common in singapore

    but anyhow - some thoughts:

    1) slashing diagonals on top right, could they have been avoided by adjusting yourself?

    2) person in picture, can it be avoided by adjusting yourself?

  12. #12

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    I like how the faded/broken double-yellow lines add some character to the image... Juxtaposed with the reflection of the clean lines of the skyscraper. Not sure if this was your intention but it worked. Your depth of field also adds to the effect.

    Other than that, my only gripe is the reflection of the person at the base of the skyscraper (as pointed out by others).
    "Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" | Flickr

  13. #13

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    this pic rocks

  14. #14
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not really a new concept, to be frank - just perhaps not so common in singapore

    but anyhow - some thoughts:

    1) slashing diagonals on top right, could they have been avoided by adjusting yourself?

    2) person in picture, can it be avoided by adjusting yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by altern8tif View Post
    I like how the faded/broken double-yellow lines add some character to the image... Juxtaposed with the reflection of the clean lines of the skyscraper. Not sure if this was your intention but it worked. Your depth of field also adds to the effect.

    Other than that, my only gripe is the reflection of the person at the base of the skyscraper (as pointed out by others).
    Quote Originally Posted by hitendra View Post
    this pic rocks
    thanks for all your feedback guys. will strive to improve more.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

  15. #15
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    Pretty interesting to me.

  16. #16

    Default Re: urban upside-down

    i personally found your shadow and the white space at the top corner distracting.

    otherwise, its a nice picture.
    Photography photography photography

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •