Thread: Regarding (affordable) CPLs

Lightbulb Regarding (affordable) CPLs

Hi guys as you can probably see I've been lurking around but haven't exactly posted anything in CS yet...Awesome forum btw

I've just gotten started on photography, and I'm thinking of getting CPLs (seeing that most websites term them as "indispensable to any photographer"). However I'm on a budget and can only consider the cheaper ones.

The problem is that there are so many brands out there and I'm spoilt for choice...I'm currently considering Hoya and Kenko.

Hoya Single-coated (prices from SLR Revo):
    52mm - $39
    58mm - $44
    72mm - $70

Kenko (not sure about the coating, etc. As taken from a thread in Mass Sales):
    52mm - $25
    58mm - $25
    72mm - $35

Are these worth their price? Is the price diff worth it? Or are there any other brands that I should consider?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Regarding (affordable) CPLs

Quote Originally Posted by metzalx View Post
    Hi guys as you can probably see I've been lurking around but haven't exactly posted anything in CS yet...Awesome forum btw

I've just gotten started on photography, and I'm thinking of getting CPLs (seeing that most websites term them as "indispensable to any photographer"). However I'm on a budget and can only consider the cheaper ones.

The problem is that there are so many brands out there and I'm spoilt for choice...I'm currently considering Hoya and Kenko.

Hoya Single-coated (prices from SLR Revo):
    52mm - $39
    58mm - $44
    72mm - $70

Kenko (not sure about the coating, etc. As taken from a thread in Mass Sales):
    52mm - $25
    58mm - $25
    72mm - $35

Are these worth their price? Is the price diff worth it? Or are there any other brands that I should consider?
    It seems like the Kenko ones seen in that thread are non-coated Kenko filters.

Hoya single coated is the base Hoya range. Kenko uncoated is the lowerst Kenko range.

Personally, I would avoid both.

A 72mm Kenko Pro1D multicoated wideband CPL can be bought for $90 at OP.

Most importantly, what lens are you using for the CPL?

Does your lens have a FRONT ROTATING ELEMENT?

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    I can easily live with some minor adjustments to the ring, but images spoiled by reflections and glare .. no, thanks. Beside this: Is there any CPL that can overcome rotating front elements?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It seems like the Kenko ones seen in that thread are non-coated Kenko filters.

Hoya single coated is the base Hoya range. Kenko uncoated is the lowerst Kenko range.

Personally, I would avoid both.

A 72mm Kenko Pro1D multicoated wideband CPL can be bought for $90 at OP.
    Thanks for the reply

If I buy the 72mm Kenko and attach step-up adaptors (for my 52mm and 58mm lens) instead of getting multiple CPLs in each of these sizes, will it affect the photo quality? Cuz $90 is a bit out of my budget if I were to get multiple CPLs...

If I buy the 72mm Kenko and attach step-up adaptors (for my 52mm and 58mm lens) instead of getting multiple CPLs in each of these sizes, will it affect the photo quality? Cuz $90 is a bit out of my budget if I were to get multiple CPLs...
    Get the step-up rings and only one CPL, works fine. I do the same using 77mm CPL for lenses from 52mm to 77mm front thread. Looks a bit funny having a 50mm lens (52mm filter thread) and 3 step-up rings plus CPL. But who cares as long as the pics are nice
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post

I have a 17mm Tokina wide angle (72mm filter size), 70-300mm Tamron zoom and 18-55mm Canon kit (both 58mm filter size) lens...Gonna buy a Canon 50mm f1.8 soon (52mm filter size) and I'm planning to get a CPL for that too.

Sorry but noob question: What's a front rotating element? ><

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply

Actually for CPLs usually get one, and match with a number of stepup rings. but 58 to 72? wow, that is a big jump.

Blog Entries

I have a 17mm Tokina wide angle (72mm filter size), 70-300mm Tamron zoom and 18-55mm Canon kit (both 58mm filter size) lens...Gonna buy a Canon 50mm f1.8 soon (52mm filter size) and I'm planning to get a CPL for that too.

it means, when you focus, does the front of the lens twist and turn?

Blog Entries

Some lenses, like the 50/1.8, when shooting portraits, I never really used CPL with it. Never found a need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Get the step-up rings and only one CPL, works fine. I do the same using 77mm CPL for lenses from 52mm to 77mm front thread. Looks a bit funny having a 50mm lens (52mm filter thread) and 3 step-up rings plus CPL. But who cares as long as the pics are nice
    Actually for CPLs usually get one, and match with a number of stepup rings. but 58 to 72? wow, that is a big jump.
    Lol can't help it since I'm on a budget haha...But I do agree it looks funny ^^

it means, when you focus, does the front of the lens twist and turn?
    For the Tamron and Canon yes, but for the Tokina no

Some lenses, like the 50/1.8, when shooting portraits, I never really used CPL with it. Never found a need to.
    I'm not really into portraits, but mainly into the sharpness of the 50mm for general photog...So honestly I cannot really decide how I'm gonna utilise that lens and decided not to factor it out lol ><
    Last edited by metzalx; 11th August 2010 at 07:40 PM.

I'm not really into portraits, but mainly into the sharpness of the 50mm for general photog...So honestly I cannot really decide how I'm gonna utilise that lens and decided not to factor it out lol ><
    Get a film body and it becomes a nice lens with natural perspective. For certain moments and situations CPL will be very helpful then
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Get a film body and it becomes a nice lens with natural perspective. For certain moments and situations CPL will be very helpful then
    Coincidentally I do have an old EOS 300 I inherited from my aunt...But haven't really touched it as film is *not cheap* lol. But I'd probably play around with it once I get my 50mm ;D