Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K-7 Best Buys Sept 2010 Popular Photography

Default Re: K-7 Best Buys Sept 2010 Popular Photography

Ben ,that rig of yours doesn't fit into the best buy category mentioned in the OP, but nonetheless it is still very appealing.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxme View Post
    After owning K-7 for a while now, I am still very fascinated with the build and features, especially the sexy look

FW, thanks for the picture.
    Totally agree.
    Initially, my impression was that it was just an upgrade from my K100D (better ISO, better build).
    Its not a instant winner either if one just goes for pixel peeping. Which is what many reviews do.

But after using it for a while, the K7 grows on you. The very good handling and button access is fantastic. This is often hard to review given an oline/mag articles' short timeline.
    The customizations provide a wealth of adjustments that I've only brushed on.
    Not to mention features like previews and saving of W/B adjustments, Picture settings which are so well thought out.
    I can just take a sunrise scene in fluorescent W/B, and then with the same picture, browse the other W/B settings like Cloudy and AWB and save the picture in those settings as well. Yes,the Kx has that as well (only on Pentax AFAIK)

Of course, there are the nice colors and detail retention even in high ISO. In fact, over time, the higher noise is no big a deal as I learned to deal with it with a simple NR program if I ever find it a bother in the first place. I also find the noise grain even (like film) and not artificially blockish.

All this without the need to spend a bomb on a camera system.
    K7 is indeed the best buy and the best enthusiast camera in my books
    Last edited by pinholecam; 12th August 2010 at 07:37 AM.

Just happened to read about K7 today that it is a good, rugged and heavy camera that even competes equally with D300S in the below article.

http://forums.popphoto.com/showthread.php?t=616133

Camera Review :

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...est-Pentax-K-7

Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    Ben ,that rig of yours doesn't fit into the best buy category mentioned in the OP, but nonetheless it is still very appealing.
    Ya I know, it should be "Good To Buy" before it gone down to memory lane.
    Pentax for Life

Just a question.. It's just 12 Aug - Already Sept issue of magazine is out?!?!??!?! Huh????

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Just a question.. It's just 12 Aug - Already Sept issue of magazine is out?!?!??!?! Huh????
    Time difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Most magazines are issued out one month 'early'. Dont really understand the reason behind it. Probably the printer's schedule thing.
    Last edited by sbc; 12th August 2010 at 10:22 AM.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

I can't agreed more that the camera grew on you.

I especially like the lot of nice touch that you don't find in my Canon, or Nikon (not familiar with Nikon actually, though I find it not very user friendly) :
    1. Auto rotation of the information screen when you rotate your camera from landscape to portrait, even upside down
    2. Allow you to cap the upper and lower limit for ISO range selection.
    3. Very good weight and compact size, none of the size of D300S, 50D and 7D come close to K-7.
    4. Full weather resistant with DA* lens, unfortunately Canon EF-S lenses does not have WR even though both 50D and 7D body are , of course there are L lenses but the focal range and prices are not exactly targeted at crop body.
    5. Build in SR, i.e. I can have SR works with all my prime lenses or 3rd party lens.

I think it is the many many little things that make the camera so likeable, e.g. the angle of the dial above the grip. I think K-7 is not flawless, e.g. I wish it has a better sensor and ISO like K-x or Canon, but what can you possibility ask for at this price.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Totally agree.
    Initially, my impression was that it was just an upgrade from my K100D (better ISO, better build).
    Its not a instant winner either if one just goes for pixel peeping. Which is what many reviews do.

But after using it for a while, the K7 grows on you. The very good handling and button access is fantastic. This is often hard to review given an oline/mag articles' short timeline.
    The customizations provide a wealth of adjustments that I've only brushed on.
    Not to mention features like previews and saving of W/B adjustments, Picture settings which are so well thought out.
    I can just take a sunrise scene in fluorescent W/B, and then with the same picture, browse the other W/B settings like Cloudy and AWB and save the picture in those settings as well. Yes,the Kx has that as well (only on Pentax AFAIK)

Of course, there are the nice colors and detail retention even in high ISO. In fact, over time, the higher noise is no big a deal as I learned to deal with it with a simple NR program if I ever find it a bother in the first place. I also find the noise grain even (like film) and not artificially blockish.

All this without the need to spend a bomb on a camera system.
    K7 is indeed the best buy and the best enthusiast camera in my books
    Last edited by pentaxme; 12th August 2010 at 06:30 PM.

I love my K-7 too. I regreted thinking of selling it away just recently. Fortunately, there was no takers. Haha.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

digital camera magazine rated
    k-7 as 4th of the best DSLR u shld own. While Nikon D90,Canon 50d/550d took 1st,2nd & 3rd place. ceh!

Quote Originally Posted by salblade View Post
    k-7 as 4th of the best DSLR u shld own. While Nikon D90,Canon 50d/550d took 1st,2nd & 3rd place. ceh!
    Wah! 竟敢在这里撒野!
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

I read about that too . But I think they completely ignore K7 got weather resistance function while the rest doesn't .....
    My Flickr ->Flickr

All 4 cameras are good ones,and each has its pros and cons, all are good enough for most users. But K7 is the only one with weather resistant sealing, built-in shake reduction, 100% viewfinder, AF adjustment and etc. I still think K7 is the best buy among these 4

I guess rating does not tell a lot about how good the camera is, but mostly base on sales perspective and in this case they are comparing price point, that is also why 5D MK II, 1D MK IV and D3S are not up there. OT, I thought for digital camera sales #1 is Panasonic.

The rightful comparison here is one base on group of target users, i.e. K-7, D300s, 7D and 50D, atleast this is what all the reviews I read so far are base on by various magazines. So the best value today what Popular Photography base on is K-7, which is true for $ for $ (K-7 $1.34K vs D300s $2.1K vs 7D $2.28K vs 50D $1.4K) and feature for feature comparison. However, this is not about one is better than another, in fact all 4 cameras are absolutely good camera, and end of the day is the photographer behind the camera
    Last edited by pentaxme; 13th August 2010 at 04:50 PM.

I just read yesterday in I think Alpha Sony Forum abt this guy did a test in A700 and K7. K7 won him.

Keep a lookout for the K7 review if you please, if anything to serve as a snapshot of features you can hopefully expect in the A700 replacement camera, as Sony will definitely need to integrate many of the more "standard" enthusiast features available by Pentax, Canon, and Nikon if they want to keep earning business in the category. I think there are many helpful and creatitivty inspriring features in the K7 that may be attractive to Alpha shooters.

If you choose not to read the K7 review, I'll summarize the difference between the two cameras in one sentence. If you'll pardon the metaphor here, the Sony A700 is more of a cresent wrench whereas the K7 is the entire tool chest - with near swiss army knife dimensions.
    Last edited by ricsal; 13th August 2010 at 05:20 AM.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

I love the wonderful K-7 .........

my k-7
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

even in film camera days, pentax has always shown itself to be a little more advance in designing more features into their cameras at various price points.

Always good to hear Pentax winning awards but the local agent should capitalize on these awards to mitigate the "majority inertia". For me the K7 was an excellent camera that was too good for my needs. That is why i reverted to the K-x which in itself is also a very competent and full featured camera too. If Practical Photography awarded the best semi-pro and entry level awards to the K7 and k-x it would make the hat trick complete.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

K7
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast