Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

  1. #1

    Default 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    I would applaud his determination, it goes to show there are really people who are VERY VERY KEEN to take photos of local sports and news.


    News link

    SINGAPORE - He ran in heavy rain, then in scorching heat, but Low Wei Jie was determined he would finish what he started.

    The Compassvale Primary School student kept pace with around 100 Youth Olympic Flame torchbearers yesterday, running for more than two hours as the torch went past schools and residential districts from Greendale Secondary School to Hougang Stadium. The 12-year-old covered a distance of around 15km and he did it wearing a T-shirt, bermudas and flip-flops.

    The youngster missed out on a chance to join two schoolmates carrying the torch around the North East community district because he was deemed too slow.

    Drenched in sweat when MediaCorp caught up with him at the rest station at the stadium, the Primary 6 pupil said: "I wasn't planning to run for so long, but when I saw the torch today I decided to follow it. I'm not that tired right now, but my feet hurt."

    Wei Jie's determination caught the eye of cheerleaders and officials alike, who stopped to offer him drinks and words of encouragement. He also posed for photos with the Youth Olympic torch.

    Yesterday's relay ended with a community celebration at Temasek Polytechnic, which saw the guest-of-honour, Foreign Minister George Yeo, lighting the cauldron to kick off the evening's festivities. The torch relay continues today when it visits the North West community district, starting at Hwa Chong Institution in the morning. - LOW LIN FHOONG


    Photo by Don Wong
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  2. #2
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,192

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    He was deemed to slow???? and he can run 15km......

    LOL, the torch just ran past my office......
    Last edited by Leong23; 11th August 2010 at 09:39 AM.

  3. #3
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,119

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    I would applaud his determination, it goes to show there are really people who are VERY VERY KEEN to take photos of local sports and news.


    News link

    SINGAPORE - He ran in heavy rain, then in scorching heat, but Low Wei Jie was determined he would finish what he started.

    The Compassvale Primary School student kept pace with around 100 Youth Olympic Flame torchbearers yesterday, running for more than two hours as the torch went past schools and residential districts from Greendale Secondary School to Hougang Stadium. The 12-year-old covered a distance of around 15km and he did it wearing a T-shirt, bermudas and flip-flops.

    The youngster missed out on a chance to join two schoolmates carrying the torch around the North East community district because he was deemed too slow.

    Drenched in sweat when MediaCorp caught up with him at the rest station at the stadium, the Primary 6 pupil said: "I wasn't planning to run for so long, but when I saw the torch today I decided to follow it. I'm not that tired right now, but my feet hurt."

    Wei Jie's determination caught the eye of cheerleaders and officials alike, who stopped to offer him drinks and words of encouragement. He also posed for photos with the Youth Olympic torch.

    Yesterday's relay ended with a community celebration at Temasek Polytechnic, which saw the guest-of-honour, Foreign Minister George Yeo, lighting the cauldron to kick off the evening's festivities. The torch relay continues today when it visits the North West community district, starting at Hwa Chong Institution in the morning. - LOW LIN FHOONG


    Photo by Don Wong
    Potential future photojournalist..

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,295

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    i wonder how fast you need to be to be able to carry the torch? sometimes... people just give lame reasons... what rubbish???

    anyway, i applaud this young chap for his enthusiasm and determination. it's no joke running 15km on flip-flops. i bet the individual torch bearers don't even run 15km on each leg.
    Last edited by mohgui; 11th August 2010 at 10:09 AM.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Well done boy!

    Glad if any kind soul got a spare camera to give him cos his family camera is damaged by the rain.

  6. #6
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    i went shoot the relay at momient mrt, they "run" for less than 200m than pass to next runner.

    so why they say he too slow?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  7. #7
    Member rTwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Smackdown Boulevard
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    respect.

  8. #8
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    Well done boy!

    Glad if any kind soul got a spare camera to give him cos his family camera is damaged by the rain.
    maybe olympus can give the boy a all weather p&s?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,612

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Sometimes the world is unfair................

  10. #10

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    I would applaud his determination, it goes to show there are really people who are VERY VERY KEEN to take photos of local sports and news.


    News link

    SINGAPORE - He ran in heavy rain, then in scorching heat, but Low Wei Jie was determined he would finish what he started.

    The Compassvale Primary School student kept pace with around 100 Youth Olympic Flame torchbearers yesterday, running for more than two hours as the torch went past schools and residential districts from Greendale Secondary School to Hougang Stadium. The 12-year-old covered a distance of around 15km and he did it wearing a T-shirt, bermudas and flip-flops.

    The youngster missed out on a chance to join two schoolmates carrying the torch around the North East community district because he was deemed too slow.

    Drenched in sweat when MediaCorp caught up with him at the rest station at the stadium, the Primary 6 pupil said: "I wasn't planning to run for so long, but when I saw the torch today I decided to follow it. I'm not that tired right now, but my feet hurt."

    Wei Jie's determination caught the eye of cheerleaders and officials alike, who stopped to offer him drinks and words of encouragement. He also posed for photos with the Youth Olympic torch.

    Yesterday's relay ended with a community celebration at Temasek Polytechnic, which saw the guest-of-honour, Foreign Minister George Yeo, lighting the cauldron to kick off the evening's festivities. The torch relay continues today when it visits the North West community district, starting at Hwa Chong Institution in the morning. - LOW LIN FHOONG


    Photo by Don Wong
    2 hrs 15km.... he can go for marathon liao. by the time he is 18 i think he can achieve 42 in 3 hrs. haha
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

  11. #11
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,829

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Not only for this instance. A lot of local talents go unnoticed because of the current selection processes. Then they said Singapore not enough talents!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,295

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Not only for this instance. A lot of local talents go unnoticed because of the current selection processes. Then they said Singapore not enough talents!
    you know lah... those high calibre personnels when they make decision... it sometimes baffles the general public
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  13. #13

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    can we have him in clubsnap?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,942

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    maybe olympus can give the boy a all weather p&s?
    actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  15. #15

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    it is good to know that out there, there are still passionate photographers who take the effort to capture photographs, instead of just buying gear to hug it to sleep every night. and some of them use p&s.

    thumbs up to the boy.

  16. #16

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?
    i would gladly contribute.

    if any of you manage to get something running, just let me know.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?
    Well, we can contact him through his school.

  18. #18

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    actually, if someone knows how to contact his family why don't we start a collection to get him a replacement? Maybe can get in touch with the press or the tuoch relay committee to see if anyone know how to reach them?
    I will take him as my apprentice.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,942

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would gladly contribute.

    if any of you manage to get something running, just let me know.
    Same here, anyone to start ?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  20. #20

    Default Re: 12 year old YOG fan ran in the rain to take photos

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Same here, anyone to start ?
    the trouble in my mind is, wait his father is owner of some big company

    then we are just being quite comical, offering to buy him new camera when he has got 10 already.

    i will try to find out more tonight, i don't mind writing to the school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •