Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

  1. #41

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by rebelriot View Post
    hi there. firstly a warm welcome to the club and into photography. im new too, just got my canon 550D last month in july and am happy shooting my way through, exploring in tv/av modes. playing around with iso and of course the software that came with the dslr.

    i think daredevil has some great links that he used it as his welcome template for newcomers. do check it out. it has benefitted me in many ways.

    firstly, i learn about the rule of third.

    then i learn how to be creative by shooting at different angles and all.

    try it out, dont worry about the shutter life. just keep shooting, and it will perfect your shots eventually.

    i do experience mistakes too. one example is when i thought i have the set the shutter speed properply,endup, the picture taken was dark. i try not to use flash, but instead play with the shutter speed. i improve it by slowing the shutter speed even slower,and eventually got what i want.

    cheers,
    RR
    Hi brother, thanks for hightlighting. Yes, I hv downloaded the links and read through as carefully as I could. I really hope to experiment it with someone actually. But first thing first, I am merely asking if there is any mini-shoots in the YOG this evening so that I could tag along to observe the skills. That's all... I hope this explain my initial intention is not evil.


  2. #42
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Hi brother, thanks for hightlighting. Yes, I hv downloaded the links and read through as carefully as I could. I really hope to experiment it with someone actually. But first thing first, I am merely asking if there is any mini-shoots in the YOG this evening so that I could tag along to observe the skills. That's all... I hope this explain my initial intention is not evil.

    That doesn't make it right for you to make a personal attack on me. I would like to see how you how many more reasons you can come up to explain that away.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 02:02 PM.

  3. #43
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Sigh.

    As a newbie, I feel having humility is important.

    Even as one who is very experienced in photography, humility is very important, especially if you are into photography. I learned this from a senior photographer in CS by the nick of tungtung whom I had the pleasure to meet yesterday at a talk.

    So, to the TS, if you are still willing to learn, but willing to do so with an open mind, I'd like to invite you to meet me at Esplanade on Saturday @ 06.30 am to shoot sunrise there. It is a good place to start. However, this is cityscape and not an events shoot, so please adjust your expectations.

    What you need to master first is Exposure and your camera, before you can even shoot events. I myself don't dare to cover events as I'd like to enjoy the moment.

    If you are interested, send me a private message, and I'm willing to sit down with you for 1 to 1.5 hours to help you get started.

    Peace out.

    Cheers!

    PS: Daredevil123 is a very patient person and he's guided newbies before, and they can attest that this is not the real him that you are 'seeing'.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  4. #44

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Hey daredevil123, you get this right... what makes me mad of your first "Welcome post" See the highlight:

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I believe age has nothing much to do with ability to read, experiment and learn. In the end it is 5-10% talent, and 95-90% hard work. We have a little girl aged 11 here in Clubsnap, and her pictures are starting to put some "more senior" people to shame. So stop thinking you cannot do it because of whatever reasons. Just start reading, shooting, learning and you can get there. If a girl in Primary 5 can do it, I do not see why you cannot.
    Stop being sacarsitic in this statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You do not need to learn how to shoot at events like NDP or YOG. There are beautiful things around you all the time. You need to quiet your mind and observe. Couple that with knowledge you gather from books from the library, and the internet. Experiment. Look at the your own pictures, look at what others shot in the same location. Compare and try to figure out why yours is different. Then think of how you want to shoot the same place again. Go there again and shoot. When I first started out, I would go back to the same place again and again and again. Changing the way I shoot, the angles, the settings, hardware setups. That is how you learn.
    I believe we all know you are one of the experience type. But to newbie in different entry level, it is not likewise. If these info and guidance is not free, I suggest you stay away from guiding as it may arouse your frustration and kind soul.

  5. #45
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Sigh.

    As a newbie, I feel having humility is important.

    Even as one who is very experienced in photography, humility is very important, especially if you are into photography. I learned this from a senior photographer in CS by the nick of tungtung whom I had the pleasure to meet yesterday at a talk.

    So, to the TS, if you are still willing to learn, but willing to do so with an open mind, I'd like to invite you to meet me at Esplanade on Saturday @ 06.30 am to shoot sunrise there. It is a good place to start. However, this is cityscape and not an events shoot, so please adjust your expectations.

    What you need to master first is Exposure and your camera, before you can even shoot events. I myself don't dare to cover events as I'd like to enjoy the moment.

    If you are interested, send me a private message, and I'm willing to sit down with you for 1 to 1.5 hours to help you get started.

    Peace out.

    Cheers!

    PS: Daredevil123 is a very patient person and he's guided newbies before, and they can attest that this is not the real him that you are 'seeing'.
    to your offer.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  6. #46

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    And this is your second post :

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Nowadays... haizz..

    Ask people to read a novel, they will ask if the movie is out yet.

    Ask them to read a book on photography that is only 60 pages long, they ask for "practical shooting guides"

    Might as well ask people to shoot the photos for you... even better that way.


    I give up sometimes.
    DO YOU HAVE TO BE OFFENSIVE IN SARCASTIC MANNER IN THIS WAY!!!! DID I EVER ASK YOU TO HELP OR ARE YOU HELPING UNWILLINGLY.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    I think you got my message wrongly. I mean if there is any outing in the coming YOG in Woodlands area, I would love to join any member from clubsnap and see, listen or consult how do they control the camera and the function to derive the effect they attain.

    Certainly I know nothing is free. I would have to pay for hefty price for the courses conducting in any of the instituition. However, I thought if through a club forum, I would be able to network with a group of newbie, social and make friend here. So that we(as a group) could learn and exchange knowledge together.

    In my earlier message, I am not expecting/asking to seek for "free" coaching throughout like the way you or most of you may think it is. Maybe my message wasn't put clearly. For this, I apologise.

    I am sincerely hoping to network and social with a group of the people here to gain knowledge and observe how the way they achieve instead of asking and pester them. Shouldn't this be one of the way to encourage the art and motivation of learning in photography? Perhaps, this will encourage more to join into the photography art.

    I am solely taking this hobby to distress my daily work stress and not for freelancing or sideline. If the message I put was kind of evolving some misunderstanding, I really don't know how to put it other than just apologising.

    And perhaps, this is a forum doesn't welcome my stupid question I have posted which I thought it is meant to be a "Newbie introduction or seeking for assistance in any form"

    I hope this message brings clarification to the rest of the senior and/or members who have mistaken or doubt on my ability to "read".

    Thanks for reading.
    IMO, this started it all. Read your post again and ask yourself whether you are fair to CS and some CSers who have offered their opinions and advise.
    Home is where the heart is.

  8. #48
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Hey daredevil123, you get this right... what makes me mad of your first "Welcome post" See the highlight:



    Stop being sacarsitic in this statement.



    I believe we all know you are one of the experience type. But to newbie in different entry level, it is not likewise. If these info and guidance is not free, I suggest you stay away from guiding as it may arouse your frustration and kind soul.
    Ask anyone here if that first statement is sarcastic. READ IT AGAIN.

    A lot of people here know me personally. ASK THEM what I meant in those posts. Ask anyone in these posts.

    If your pride cannot even take innocent, well intention advice like these, I suggest you go find a cave and hide.

    This is it. You have officially pissed me off.

  9. #49
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    And this is your second post :



    DO YOU HAVE TO BE OFFENSIVE IN SARCASTIC MANNER IN THIS WAY!!!! DID I EVER ASK YOU TO HELP OR ARE YOU HELPING UNWILLINGLY.
    Was I offensive?

    People offer you an entire 60 page guide. And you ask for practical guidiance. I am lamenting on the way people wants spoon feeding.

    Am I wrong. I don't think so.

    But if you cannot take it, that is none of my problem too. You didn't have to make a personal attack on me.

    And look at you now... with all the caps and the red and the bold... well done. You just showed your true colors.

  10. #50
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I believe age has nothing much to do with ability to read, experiment and learn. In the end it is 5-10% talent, and 95-90% hard work. We have a little girl aged 11 here in Clubsnap, and her pictures are starting to put some "more senior" people to shame. So stop thinking you cannot do it because of whatever reasons. Just start reading, shooting, learning and you can get there. If a girl in Primary 5 can do it, I do not see why you cannot.

    You do not need to learn how to shoot at events like NDP or YOG. There are beautiful things around you all the time. You need to quiet your mind and observe. Couple that with knowledge you gather from books from the library, and the internet. Experiment. Look at the your own pictures, look at what others shot in the same location. Compare and try to figure out why yours is different. Then think of how you want to shoot the same place again. Go there again and shoot. When I first started out, I would go back to the same place again and again and again. Changing the way I shoot, the angles, the settings, hardware setups. That is how you learn.

    Find that motivation not to just "deliver basic result of a beginner" but motivate yourself to shoot like the pros. Emulate them first, try to get to the shot they did. Then, from that knowledge and basis, you will start to develop your own style. Remember, aim low, you will hit low. aim high, you might hit low at first, but at least you will be shooting higher and higher each time.

    If an eleven year old girl can do it so well here, ask yourself, why can't you?

    Some reading material to get you started.

    ****** links removed. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    I would like all to read my first post in this thread here.

    TS, WHICH PART OF THIS IS SARCASTIC? I was TRYING TO ENCOURAGE YOU!!!!!!! My goodness... Are we talking the same language here? Are we even from the SAME PLANET?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 02:23 PM.

  11. #51

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    My clarification to my following posts:

    I think you got my message wrongly. I mean if there is any outing in the coming YOG in Woodlands area, I would love to join any member from clubsnap and see, listen or consult how do they control the camera and the function to derive the effect they attain.
    This is solely for networking with some who are gathering at the YOG. I believe before and/or after the shoots, there might be kopi session or sharing with the shots they have taken. So, I can watch, listen and observe; even ask question. Is there anything wrong with this?


    [quote]Certainly I know nothing is free. I would have to pay for hefty price for the courses conducting in any of the instituition. However, I thought if through a club forum, I would be able to network with a group of newbie, social and make friend here. So that we(as a group) could learn and exchange knowledge together.

    Pure networking in a "photography" club. Anything wrong here?


    In my earlier message, I am not expecting/asking to seek for "free" coaching throughout like the way you or most of you may think it is. Maybe my message wasn't put clearly. For this, I apologise.

    I am sincerely hoping to network and social with a group of the people here to gain knowledge and observe how the way they achieve instead of asking and pester them. Shouldn't this be one of the way to encourage the art and motivation of learning in photography?
    Networking... networking lah... haiz... how many time must I explain...


    Perhaps, this will encourage more to join into the photography art.

    I am solely taking this hobby to distress my daily work stress and not for freelancing or sideline. If the message I put was kind of evolving some misunderstanding, I really don't know how to put it other than just apologising.

    And perhaps, this is a forum doesn't welcome my stupid question I have posted which I thought it is meant to be a "Newbie introduction or seeking for assistance in any form"

    I hope this message brings clarification to the rest of the senior and/or members who have mistaken or doubt on my ability to "read".

    Thanks for reading.

    Did I post into the wrong folder, walk-in to a wrong club forum or shouldn't be here at all. Haiz..

    IMO, this started it all. Read your post again and ask yourself whether you are fair to CS and some CSers who have offered their opinions and advise.
    Explain what is fair and what is not... I really can't figure it out why the above msg is so sensitive to.
    Last edited by callndrew; 11th August 2010 at 02:23 PM.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    You do not understand what you wrote yourself. Either you choose not to see others' side of the story or you are a very self-centred person.


    [QUOTE=callndrew;6392564]My clarification to my following posts:



    This is solely for networking with some who are gathering at the YOG. I believe before and/or after the shoots, there might be kopi session or sharing with the shots they have taken. So, I can watch, listen and observe; even ask question. Is there anything wrong with this?


    Certainly I know nothing is free. I would have to pay for hefty price for the courses conducting in any of the instituition. However, I thought if through a club forum, I would be able to network with a group of newbie, social and make friend here. So that we(as a group) could learn and exchange knowledge together.

    Pure networking in a "photography" club. Anything wrong here?




    Networking... networking lah... haiz... how many time must I explain...





    Did I post into the wrong folder, walk-in to a wrong club forum or shouldn't be here at all. Haiz..



    Explain what is fair and what is not... I really can't figure it out why the above msg is so sensitive to.
    Home is where the heart is.

  13. #53

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ask anyone here if that first statement is sarcastic. READ IT AGAIN.

    A lot of people here know me personally. ASK THEM what I meant in those posts. Ask anyone in these posts.

    If your pride cannot even take innocent, well intention advice like these, I suggest you go find a cave and hide.

    This is it. You have officially pissed me off.
    You can tell a lot of people here knows you. But not the newbie espcially me.. What makes you expect all to know you when I don't, at least.

    Besides, I bet I can be your senior as you in term of age though. But humbly I seek, I ask and I strive to learn. I bet we both added to be a hundreds years old. Stop pissing as I don't see you are that remarkably great as a whole.

    We aren't perfect!

  14. #54
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    callndrew,

    Look at Post #7 again.

    Tell me, WHICH PART of the message is sacarstic. Explain.

    Tell me, Did post #7 help you? Was it an attempt to help you?

    Tell me, Post #7, I try to tell you how to shoot, by quieting your mind, and observe. Which part of that is not good advice?

    Tell me, Post #7, Did I or did I not, share links with you? Are those links lousy? Useless? Are those links meant to help you?

    SO, was I trying to help you? Is this what we are supposed to be doing in a NEWBIE THREAD? To help people?

    Answer me,

  15. #55
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    You can tell a lot of people here knows you. But not the newbie espcially me.. What makes you expect all to know you when I don't, at least.

    Besides, I bet I can be your senior as you in term of age though. But humbly I seek, I ask and I strive to learn. I bet we both added to be a hundreds years old. Stop pissing as I don't see you are that remarkably great as a whole.

    We aren't perfect!
    I won't be too sure about that. I am probably older than you.

    Humbly you seek??? I don't think so. See my post above. Answer my questions.

    I never said I was great. In fact I often say I am not. Everyone on CS can attest to that.

    But I did say that you made a personal attack on me. Which after so many posts, you still did not want to respond to.

    So, in your opinion, did you make a personal attack on me or not?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 02:34 PM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Was I offensive?

    People offer you an entire 60 page guide. And you ask for practical guidiance. I am lamenting on the way people wants spoon feeding.

    Am I wrong. I don't think so.

    But if you cannot take it, that is none of my problem too. You didn't have to make a personal attack on me.

    And look at you now... with all the caps and the red and the bold... well done. You just showed your true colors.
    Did I ask for Spoon feeding. DON'T PUT YOUR WORDS FROM YOUR IMAGINATION INTO MY MOUTH! What is the definition of Practical guidance? Am I really requesting for anyone to take shot after owning my own camera. Is this statement of yours going to be that sacarsitic.

    Being a member here, if you are not willing to help. Try not to put words in a manner to piss a newbie off. You can simply move on to other topic. If you are to help and assist the forum newbie sincerely, I suppose you have yet so far proven to me with your long statement.

  17. #57
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Did I ask for Spoon feeding. DON'T PUT YOUR WORDS FROM YOUR IMAGINATION INTO MY MOUTH! What is the definition of Practical guidance? Am I really requesting for anyone to take shot after owning my own camera. Is this statement of yours going to be that sacarsitic.

    Being a member here, if you are not willing to help. Try not to put words in a manner to piss a newbie off. You can simply move on to other topic. If you are to help and assist the forum newbie sincerely, I suppose you have yet so far proven to me with your long statement.
    So, if you feel that it DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU. SAY SO!

    And if I felt I have err, I will take it back and apologized. This is not the first time I have taken my words back and apologize.

    BUT did it make it right for you TO MAKE A PERSONAL ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER?

  18. #58
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    BTW, I have asked you many questions.

    If you can answer them. we can put an end to this. But you seem to be avoiding those questions. Why?

    I have said enough here. I think we are going in circles.

    I have asked the key questions here. And you refuse to address them.

    The biggest one being:

    Why did you have to make a personal attack on me and my character?

    You are not able to answer that, because, you did. So you cannot deny it.

    I am out of this thread.

    Have a good life. Or whatever's left of it (since you said you are so old).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 02:39 PM.

  19. #59
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    If you make a mistake, there is nothing wrong in apologizing, it shows you are the bigger man.

    But if you don't, it shows you are the petty sort.

    Life is too short, and we are all here to learn. And Andrew, I believe you do belong to the mold of most beginners here ... FEED ME!

    And Daredevil has certainly fed you with the links but since you have decided to not want to be thankful for him taking time to have researched and offer you the links, shows how thankful you are to people who wants to help you.

    However, my offer for you to join my outing this Saturday still stands.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  20. #60

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Hi callndrew,

    Have you read Dingaroo's post? I suggest you take it up and move on because photography is far from being the thereputic anti-stress panacea that you expect it to be at the moment.

    BTW, your beginners' outing is on 28th August, not 25th as stated in your earlier post.
    Vision is more important than gear

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •