Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

  1. #1

    Default A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Hi everyone,

    I am totally new to photography despite of my age And has little knowledge how to deliver fantastic result like the majority members here. I may not be also able to spell the correct terms or words in every parts of the camera I have recently bought.

    I have just bought a preowned Canon 500D kit with the 18-55mm lens. After reading the forum posts and admiring the effect the members here has being able to deliver, it really motivate me to deliver basic result of a beginner photography shoots.

    I am so eager to begin my shots in some interesting objects, potraits or events. Unfortunately, the NDP 2010 has just passed and the YOG is happening now. I have enrolled for the Beginner Outing (Part 25) which will be held on 25 August. However, I am so eager to begin shooting especially not to miss the YOG shots.

    Is there anyone who has kind of gathering or outings for the coming YOG meets during the YOG Torch? I wish I could get some partner or senior to guide me along instead of missing the great opportunity.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  3. #3

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Why not look in the correct sections?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743354
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Though it has 59 pages to go through, I believe some practical shooting guidance would help me greatly.

    7pm @ Republic Poly (Woodlands), YOG.. wonder if any member will be there to take shots? Hope to join some senior/experience member for knowledge exchange.

    Thx

  5. #5

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Hope to join some senior/experience member for knowledge exchange.

    Thx
    They are there to shoot the event, not spend all the time teaching you for free.

    If you want to learn, go there and shoot shoot shoot, learn what works and doesn't work from your own experiences. Nothing beats that.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Though it has 59 pages to go through, I believe some practical shooting guidance would help me greatly.
    There is no shortcut to learn things properly. Take your time, read slowly, try for yourself, analyze the results. Any practical (means: shorter) guide would presume existing knowledge and understanding of the basics - which you don't have. Magic numbers won't work because light is changing and cannot be predicted.
    An event where you expect to have (or worse: you are expected to deliver) results is not a recommended starting point. Go there, enjoy and snap a bit around without much worries. Learn from that afterwards.
    EOS

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I am totally new to photography despite of my age And has little knowledge how to deliver fantastic result like the majority members here. I may not be also able to spell the correct terms or words in every parts of the camera I have recently bought.

    I have just bought a preowned Canon 500D kit with the 18-55mm lens. After reading the forum posts and admiring the effect the members here has being able to deliver, it really motivate me to deliver basic result of a beginner photography shoots.

    I am so eager to begin my shots in some interesting objects, potraits or events. Unfortunately, the NDP 2010 has just passed and the YOG is happening now. I have enrolled for the Beginner Outing (Part 25) which will be held on 25 August. However, I am so eager to begin shooting especially not to miss the YOG shots.

    Is there anyone who has kind of gathering or outings for the coming YOG meets during the YOG Torch? I wish I could get some partner or senior to guide me along instead of missing the great opportunity.

    I believe age has nothing much to do with ability to read, experiment and learn. In the end it is 5-10% talent, and 95-90% hard work. We have a little girl aged 11 here in Clubsnap, and her pictures are starting to put some "more senior" people to shame. So stop thinking you cannot do it because of whatever reasons. Just start reading, shooting, learning and you can get there. If a girl in Primary 5 can do it, I do not see why you cannot.

    You do not need to learn how to shoot at events like NDP or YOG. There are beautiful things around you all the time. You need to quiet your mind and observe. Couple that with knowledge you gather from books from the library, and the internet. Experiment. Look at the your own pictures, look at what others shot in the same location. Compare and try to figure out why yours is different. Then think of how you want to shoot the same place again. Go there again and shoot. When I first started out, I would go back to the same place again and again and again. Changing the way I shoot, the angles, the settings, hardware setups. That is how you learn.

    Find that motivation not to just "deliver basic result of a beginner" but motivate yourself to shoot like the pros. Emulate them first, try to get to the shot they did. Then, from that knowledge and basis, you will start to develop your own style. Remember, aim low, you will hit low. aim high, you might hit low at first, but at least you will be shooting higher and higher each time.

    If an eleven year old girl can do it so well here, ask yourself, why can't you?

    Some reading material to get you started.

    ****** links removed. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 12:02 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Hi callndrew,

    Just like you , i am also new in this field.

    Like what daredevil123 wrote ... age does nothing with photography.

    And to start learn photography, does not mean u need to start with NDP / YOG.

    You may start with :

    1. Read manual
    2. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.
    3. Learn about composing.
    4. Learn about metering.

    Important to understand about Manual mode (M), Aperture Mode (AV), Shutter Speed mode (TV), and others mode.

    Do not because that is DSLR, make you think you need to do it in M mode.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    I believe nowadays it's hardly seeing youth with non-3g-ed phone. Your can read 20 pages each day during travelling. It's not as thick as your camera manual isn't it? The writer already consolidate everything for u, does he need to help u opening your mouth and put it in?
    D90-MB80|N18-105|N50 1.8|T180 M.|GT1541T|Q3T|Up48|SB900|
    BBB Virus will Devour your Soul.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    take it easy, explore and discover along the way to enjoy the fun
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Though it has 59 pages to go through, I believe some practical shooting guidance would help me greatly.

    7pm @ Republic Poly (Woodlands), YOG.. wonder if any member will be there to take shots? Hope to join some senior/experience member for knowledge exchange.

    Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by VainKid View Post
    I believe nowadays it's hardly seeing youth with non-3g-ed phone. Your can read 20 pages each day during travelling. It's not as thick as your camera manual isn't it? The writer already consolidate everything for u, does he need to help u opening your mouth and put it in?
    Nowadays... haizz..

    Ask people to read a novel, they will ask if the movie is out yet.

    Ask them to read a book on photography that is only 60 pages long, they ask for "practical shooting guides"

    Might as well ask people to shoot the photos for you... even better that way.

    I give up sometimes.

  12. #12

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    They are there to shoot the event, not spend all the time teaching you for free.

    If you want to learn, go there and shoot shoot shoot, learn what works and doesn't work from your own experiences. Nothing beats that.
    I think you got my message wrongly. I mean if there is any outing in the coming YOG in Woodlands area, I would love to join any member from clubsnap and see, listen or consult how do they control the camera and the function to derive the effect they attain.

    Certainly I know nothing is free. I would have to pay for hefty price for the courses conducting in any of the instituition. However, I thought if through a club forum, I would be able to network with a group of newbie, social and make friend here. So that we(as a group) could learn and exchange knowledge together.

    In my earlier message, I am not expecting/asking to seek for "free" coaching throughout like the way you or most of you may think it is. Maybe my message wasn't put clearly. For this, I apologise.

    I am sincerely hoping to network and social with a group of the people here to gain knowledge and observe how the way they achieve instead of asking and pester them. Shouldn't this be one of the way to encourage the art and motivation of learning in photography? Perhaps, this will encourage more to join into the photography art.

    I am solely taking this hobby to distress my daily work stress and not for freelancing or sideline. If the message I put was kind of evolving some misunderstanding, I really don't know how to put it other than just apologising.

    And perhaps, this is a forum doesn't welcome my stupid question I have posted which I thought it is meant to be a "Newbie introduction or seeking for assistance in any form"

    I hope this message brings clarification to the rest of the senior and/or members who have mistaken or doubt on my ability to "read".

    Thanks for reading.

  13. #13

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by LightCapturer View Post
    Hi callndrew,

    Just like you , i am also new in this field.

    Like what daredevil123 wrote ... age does nothing with photography.

    And to start learn photography, does not mean u need to start with NDP / YOG.

    You may start with :

    1. Read manual
    2. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.
    3. Learn about composing.
    4. Learn about metering.

    Important to understand about Manual mode (M), Aperture Mode (AV), Shutter Speed mode (TV), and others mode.

    Do not because that is DSLR, make you think you need to do it in M mode.
    Hi LightCapturer,

    Thanks for the enlighten the source. Yes, have gone through pretty briefly on the manual guide etc.

    Your kind approach and correspondence is very much appreciated. With you around, the forum member will see your kindness of assisting the young.

    Thanks

  14. #14

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    take it easy, explore and discover along the way to enjoy the fun
    Cool brother/sister... thanks for the tips. Appreciate your kindness.

  15. #15

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Nowadays... haizz..

    Ask people to read a novel, they will ask if the movie is out yet.

    Ask them to read a book on photography that is only 60 pages long, they ask for "practical shooting guides"

    Might as well ask people to shoot the photos for you... even better that way.

    I give up sometimes.
    I really give up and upset with the comments and/or remarks . Sad to see humanity has changed tremendously this way. No wonder it is what I have always being told about the Y-Generation today and S-Generation.

    Haiz.... So worry about the world coming to an end with this kind of humanity. This has made me recall of 2 issues:
    - the movie 2012 where the ending part of the movie, the professor proclaim about the end of the world is partly due to the selfishness of own thoughts.
    - In the beauty chinese proverbs - yi zhong mi yang bai zhong ren

    Wordless.....

  16. #16

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    To the moderator/administrator/webmaster of clubsnap,

    I apologise for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience caused here.

    I'd like to clarify I am not bombing or causing any politics here but hoping to seek friendship, network and learn things from people like yourself and others experience photographer who is art lover in photography.

    I will not write too much/clarifying the unnecessary here. I felt you guys/gals are doing a great job here, maintaining and policing the forum.

    If I am treated as a trouble maker or not welcome to be your forum member, please remove my accounts PERMANENTLY.

    Thank you.

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    I really give up and upset with the comments and/or remarks . Sad to see humanity has changed tremendously this way. No wonder it is what I have always being told about the Y-Generation today and S-Generation.

    Haiz.... So worry about the world coming to an end with this kind of humanity. This has made me recall of 2 issues:
    - the movie 2012 where the ending part of the movie, the professor proclaim about the end of the world is partly due to the selfishness of own thoughts.
    - In the beauty chinese proverbs - yi zhong mi yang bai zhong ren

    Wordless.....
    Selfish... hmmmm

    You should go check out the outing threads and see what some people you deem as selfish are doing out there helping newbie shooters for free. Yes... there are still some free lessons you can get out there.

    God help those who help themselves.

    What I am saying, is to tell you what attitude you should have to go far in any hobby or profession. If you feel hurt. I am sorry that I break your fragile heart.

    You should just learn at your own pace. And some of us should not bother you. I know I won't. I wouldn't want to hurt your pride, or break your fragile sense of self worth, all over again. Touchy, emo, sensitive people are hard to coach or teach.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 11:42 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Selfish... hmmmm

    You should go check out the outing threads and see what some people you deem as selfish are doing out there helping newbie shooters for free. Yes... there are still some free lessons you can get out there.

    God help those who help themselves.

    What I am saying, is to tell you what attitude you should have to go far in any hobby or profession. If you feel hurt. I am sorry that I break your fragile heart.

    You should just learn at your own pace. And some of us should not bother you. I know I won't. I wouldn't want to hurt your pride, or break your fragile sense of self worth, all over again.
    Thanks to your confrontation here. I guess the "selfish" word really hurt someone. I thought this should be the way of how the "Y-Generation" react... And I bet you realise this folder is suppose to be a Newbie Corner for clubsnap. If I were you, I will definitely keep away to my ignorant act and stupidity question posted. Rather than creating unnecessary flames here. As what my previous post to moderator, administrator or webmaster, I will take my leave for non-welcoming members.

    I strongly agree with your statement "some of us should not bother you". Isn't this what is more appropriate for a corner of newbie. Anyway, I have debated so far and am expecting to be banned. Nonetheless, I don't think I am welcome here.

    Oh, btw your statement above I have highlighted didn't make either one of us a GREAT MAN OR HERO!

    As I have conveyed. I have aplogised twice to my "mis-behave" and phrase I used in my first message posted. You? I thank you for inspiring me.


    Last edited by callndrew; 11th August 2010 at 11:51 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    I really give up and upset with the comments and/or remarks . Sad to see humanity has changed tremendously this way. No wonder it is what I have always being told about the Y-Generation today and S-Generation.

    Haiz.... So worry about the world coming to an end with this kind of humanity. This has made me recall of 2 issues:
    - the movie 2012 where the ending part of the movie, the professor proclaim about the end of the world is partly due to the selfishness of own thoughts.
    - In the beauty chinese proverbs - yi zhong mi yang bai zhong ren

    Wordless.....
    Unfortunately, your attitude reflects exactly what you just said.
    Home is where the heart is.

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A newbie just owned a pre-owned 500D

    Quote Originally Posted by callndrew View Post
    Thanks to your confrontation here. I guess the "selfish" word really hurt someone. I thought this should be the way of how the "Y-Generation" react... And I bet you realise this folder is suppose to be a Newbie Corner for clubsnap. If I were you, I will definitely keep away to my ignorant act and stupidity question posted. Rather than creating unnecessary flames here. As what my previous post to moderator, administrator or webmaster, I will take my leave for non-welcoming members.

    I strongly agree with your statement "some of us should not bother you". Isn't this what is more appropriate for a corner of newbie. Anyway, I have debated so far and am expecting to be banned. Nonetheless, I don't think I am welcome here.

    I am not from the Y generation by the way. FYI.

    I am not being confrontational. I am just saying as it is. I am not saying you are ignorant nor am I saying you are stupid. In fact, in my first post in this thread to you, I told you how some people so young are already learning at a great pace. This is to encourage and push you. And I ended that with very valuable links that are in my personal bookmarks which I find helpful.

    If I say something, it is to push you to adopt the right attitude to improve. There are no secret settings. There are no practical shooting guides. Why? Light is never the same at the same location at the same time. You have to know the basics the hard way like everyone else. And learn to weld the controls as your tools to hold the bull by the horns. There is no shortcut. If you fail to realize that, and in turn, thinks that what everyone here says is to tell you to piss off, you are greatly mistaken, and probably have a huge chip on your shoulder.

    I am not anti-newbie. In fact, I like to help newbies and have been helping newbies here for a while now. We do it for free. We do not owe you or any other newbie anything. And yet, we give our time and effort to share knowledge. This in itself gives us joy to be sharing. I am glad to share with others. And I am glad to be teaching and sharing with newbies. Just not newbies with bad attitude like you.

    back to you.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th August 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •