Thread: Releasing Animals During Vesak Day

Blog Entries

Default Releasing Animals During Vesak Day

Hi to all who will be celebrating Vesak Day, on behalf of a dedicated group of nature lovers, I would like to post this message regarding "Releasing of Animals During Vesak Day". Hope you can help spread this message if you believe in them. No flame please as it is meant to help create awareness in nature. (Mod if this is not in the appropriate section please move/delete it. Thank You)

The following was taken from a joint publication by Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Temple & Nature Society (S'pore) on Zhao Bao last year.

"In Singapore, it is a common practice to release animals, especially during Vesak Day. It is highly commendable to feel compassion for other living things; however, releasing animals may not be the best way of helping them.

Let us first think carefully about the following points:-

1. Releasing No-Native Animals

These foreign animals might not survive in our country and may introduce foreign diseases,
    which can infect local animals that have no immunity against such diseases.

Some of these introduced animals can thrive in our country because they are from other tropical countries with similar climate and habitats. These foreign animals compete with our natives species for food, shelter, nesting areas and limited habitat. They may also prey on the young of local species.

For example, the Red-eared Slider (a freshwater turtle) from North America is a common pet animal. It is often released into our parks, rivers and reservoirs. This species is larger, more aggressive and adaptable and therefore can cause the decrease of our native Asian Box Turtle found in Singapore's few remaining wetland areas.

The mass release of animals in large numbers will affect our environment in a negative way. For example the common Rock Pigeon, which may cause hygiene problems. The releasing of large numbers of animals will also upset the natural balance, as the area of release will not be able to cope with the sudden increase of animals.

2. To release or Not to release?

In Singapore, it is an OFFENCE to release any animals into our public parks, reservoirs, nature reserves and many other places. Genuine animal liberation is done with wisdom and compassion.

Based on the above findings, we should first ask ourselves the following questions when we think of releasing animals:-

a. Will the animal really benefit from being released?

b. Are we no longer responsible from the animal once it is released?

c. Will our act if releasing an animal ensure its well-being, or are we simply performing a superficial act with no thought of the actual, negative consequences?

d. Would the money spent to buy animals for releasing be better used
    for other compassionate purposes.

Blog Entries

This is an appeal for support:

Dear all,

Every year i have heart-rendering cries of animals releasing into our wild / parks & most of them that i had encountered are usually dead or in bad state of dying and suffering in our country.

Therefore now, I would like some help from everyone out there to lend me some support towards this small act of public education on this coming Vesak Day.

I would like to form a group of volunteers on this special occasion to be stationed at a few designated or popular spots for animals releasing (such as Bishan Park, MacRitchie Reservoir Park, Pierce Reservoirs, Seletar Reservoirs & many other known locations).

We hope to advise the public of not releasing animals into the wild by telling them the effects & offence of such act.

Please please reply me if you're interested to know more about this programme. I would be conducting a briefing for those who are keen to participate in this project soon. At the same, I will contact the NParks about this project & hope to get more support from them soon.

Please circulate this to your friends or other interest groups.

Many thanks.

Regards,
    Ashley
    ashleyng@singnet.com.sg

This is great, time to put words into action. To all animal & nature lovers out there, please lend your precious support now!

I don't believe in releasing animals into the wild during Vesak Day and what not.

Why? When we release them, we need to BUY them. This creates a market for people to CATCH them. And EARN money from such misdeeds while we PAY money to right it.

releasing animals during vesak day is a good thing, shows compassion.. note, i don't wish to start a religious debate here..

but people have to take note on what kind of animals they're realeasing though.. will it be harmful to the e/v? will they reproduce faster than our native creatures?

we need to bring this issue to the public's eye.. spread the message, pple!

Default True sad story...

True sad story...

Once upon a time, in Suntec Fountain of wealth, there was some event, where doves are to be released...

Well, it was supposed to go like this:
    Release doves/pigeons.
    Birds fly away.
    Fountain turned on.
    Some other activities starts.

But sadly, upon opening the cage, throwing the birds into the air, most of them just fell onto the ground. Coz they were too afraid to fly. Some did fly though, But returned very shortly, due to the stress they faced in the urban jungle. Guess what happened to most of them? Yes, they got drowned. They flew back, got swept by the force of the water from the fountain, smashed onto the ground, died. Well, the good thing is that at least 1 bird went free, because we saw it being chased around by a couple of black birds. The dove released must be a female then... I wondered what happened to that dove. Dinner? Slave?

sad sad sad...

True story.

i do all these fang sheng every yr in bangkok... theirs is more spectacular

I will fang Sheng Pigeons and Eels... thus i cant touch them on dinner table

yah, i gave my gf a tortise once. her father was very unhappy because they let free a tortise some time back...

Releasing animals during a certain designated day is juz a symbolic gesture, which unfortunately doesn't inspire me, but it's a good reminder to all ppl to be more understanding with having animals as our partners in this planet. We must try our very best to leave animals alone, unless they are domesticated ones. Let them be free always and we have NO right to their freedom, and as such who are we to decide to give them freedom? Be nice to all animals always!

Lets go around Singapore and capture all the crows trapped in the crow cages. Then sell them at $2 to be released.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    i do all these fang sheng every yr in bangkok... theirs is more spectacular

It was spectacular indeed, in Bangkok. Cos I personally witnessed, in one of the temples, a rich couple(lined with gold and "lolek" watch) bought two cages from the vendor there and started releasing the birds. Guess what the moment the cages was brought to the field to be released, more than a dozen of cats started to follow and when the birds was released there was a feeding frenzy from our furry friends. signz... No offence meant RuthBaby

Quote Originally Posted by Silverelf
    I don't believe in releasing animals into the wild during Vesak Day and what not.

Why? When we release them, we need to BUY them. This creates a market for people to CATCH them. And EARN money from such misdeeds while we PAY money to right it.
    To me, even by paying money to right it, it doesn't correct the negative karma generated by creating the demand for people to catch the animals in the first place. The act of releasing animals is supposed to be an act of compassion towards other sentient beings in this world, but the way it is done now, animals such as birds are caught and confined in cages, waiting for someone to buy and release them. Imagine how many of them died while trying to avoid getting caught, and the stress the animals go through when they lose their freedom.

I personally think that people (Buddhists or not), should not be encouraging such acts of unnecessary cruelty to animals, in the name of doing compassionate acts. Wisdom should always prevail against blind faith and dogmatic practices.