Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A moment to share.

  1. #1

    Exclamation A moment to share.

    Its been a long while since I had posted anything in Critique Corner for some serious slamming and critique. However, I think I'm in need of some serious help.

    Day out with my wife at the botanical gardens and experimented a couple of self or rather "us" portraits. In the shot below, I was trying to get the off shoe flash light up a silhouette of myself and my wife trying to hold my chin up against her. On a first look, this shot, appears to be a keeper, however looking at it again, i found that, something is kinda missing from here. And I'm not sure what it is. I would hope that the members out here would help me in this.


    IMG_9945_1 by Nigel_4ever, on Flickr
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    really touching moment

    the background sun seems bright enough to execute a shioluette without the use of flash ... can get lower, reposition etc etc ....but ok thats a different discussion

    with this image...... the flash seems distracting.... clone it away or burn it a little (dont know if it will help) ? the flare although there did not seem to hurt the image too much
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    errm, ed, mind sharing everything on what you had mentioned? The part where u stated, lower, reposition, etc. Although it might belong to another discussion, but I think it is still valid as I'm looking into ways to improve this particular image.

    I would try to burn a little on the flash, to see how the image would turn out, and post it back here a lil later.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  4. #4

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    eh got the feel sial =D

    noob comments:
    hmm i think the round, distinct shape of the flash make it distracting
    Last edited by jerots; 12th August 2010 at 05:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    ....The part where u stated, lower, reposition,....
    well, i think the sky makes a good light source from which to frame the shilouettes.... good idea with the flash which (imho) might help (and it DID throw a little halo over the both of you ) if it was used but kept out of the image... you could try to repositioning camera lower to seperate the shilouettes outside and away from the other shadows (parts of the heads are blending into the foilage

    hope it helps, good luck !!
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    Is that a canon 35mm? I see that there are hexagon instead of circle...

    From my thinking, i think the light should right in between their both faces. Perhaps it would look nicer.
    Are they friend/model? The girl is laughing and the guy stand in a weird position... Not natural enough... I don't laugh when i kiss... =.=

    Cheers
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  7. #7

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    Quote Originally Posted by jerots View Post
    eh got the feel sial =D

    noob comments:
    hmm i think the round, distinct shape of the flash make it distracting
    Ya, i agree as well, should had made my F stop higher, and lower the flash power, It appears to be too harsh and the ball of light is a wee bit distracting.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    well, i think the sky makes a good light source from which to frame the shilouettes.... good idea with the flash which (imho) might help (and it DID throw a little halo over the both of you ) if it was used but kept out of the image... you could try to repositioning camera lower to seperate the shilouettes outside and away from the other shadows (parts of the heads are blending into the foilage

    hope it helps, good luck !!
    Positioning the camera lower? Errm, pardon my ignorance, but ed, if i position my camera lower, i would lose my leaves framing above and the pavilion behind might become a hat that I would be wearing in the pic


    Quote Originally Posted by xxdoggyxx View Post
    Is that a canon 35mm? I see that there are hexagon instead of circle...

    From my thinking, i think the light should right in between their both faces. Perhaps it would look nicer.
    Are they friend/model? The girl is laughing and the guy stand in a weird position... Not natural enough... I don't laugh when i kiss... =.=

    Cheers
    Ya agreed, I should have placed the flash a step higher, to have in a more proportional position. They are neither friend nor model, it is myself and my wife. My wife must have been laughing as i had to run here and there to set things right and I'm much taller than her which could explain the weird position. However, I would bear those in mind, and tell my wife, lets not luff!
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Right behind you. :P
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    Ya agreed, I should have placed the flash a step higher, to have in a more proportional position. They are neither friend nor model, it is myself and my wife. My wife must have been laughing as i had to run here and there to set things right and I'm much taller than her which could explain the weird position. However, I would bear those in mind, and tell my wife, lets not luff!
    In that case, have your wife's head tilted up. Its more romantic.
    They Prefer MasterCard. But I Prefer VISA.

  9. #9
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    Hello nigel84.
    Perhaps you and your wife could exchange position.
    Meaning, you the man, stands on the left straight up and holds your wife's chin with her looking up towards you, a more demure feminine position.
    Your current position seems to be a reversal of the man-woman role.
    And perhaps that is why you may feel that something is amiss.

  10. #10

    Default Re: A moment to share.

    @ xxdoggyxx: yups, point noted, but like what limwhow had said in the next post, i think a switch in role would be better.

    @ limwhow: Ty! Perhaps that is the contributing reason...
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •