Thread: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Found an injured cat.

Default URGENT HELP NEEDED! Found an injured cat.

Was on the way to meet up with a fellow Cser when I stumbled upon an injured kitten at the bus-stop.

I believe she was run over, her front right leg is broken and she is in great pain.

My question is - who do I call that will take in the cat w/o putting it to sleep?
    I tried the SPCA and they don't guarantee that the cat will not be put down.
    The nice lady on the phone said that a 1000 animals are brought in yearly or monthly and only 100 are put up for adoption. That is 90% rate of attrition!

Is there another society that will take her in and not put her to sleep if they can help it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    Was on the way to meet up with a fellow Cser when I stumbled upon an injured kitten at the bus-stop.

I believe she was run over, her front right leg is broken and she is in great pain.

My question is - who do I call that will take in the cat w/o putting it to sleep?
    I tried the SPCA and they don't guarantee that the cat will not be put down.
    The nice lady on the phone said that a 1000 animals are brought in yearly or monthly and only 100 are put up for adoption. That is 90% rate of attrition!

Is there another society that will take her in and not put her to sleep if they can help it?
    Upzz Uppzzz Uppzzz

Hey Tetrode,

You contact these guys. They might be able to help. SOS. You read this website and u try to contact them if need be. Poor cat. quick.

http://www.noahsarklodge.com

Sorry i wasn't able to help you on this....

i do know there is some cat lovers' society in singapore. make a search to see how you can contact them.

in the meantime, you can consider bring it to a vet for some immeditate first aid..

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    Sorry i wasn't able to help you on this....

i do know there is some cat lovers' society in singapore. make a search to see how you can contact them.

in the meantime, you can consider bring it to a vet for some immeditate first aid..

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Checked out the site but can't get Ray or Lynda on the phone.

If I don't get an alternative within the next hour, I'll have to let the SPCA have her.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Checked out the site but can't get Ray or Lynda on the phone.

If I don't get an alternative within the next hour, I'll have to let the SPCA have her.
    Upzz Upzz Upzz
    Last edited by Tetrode; 12th May 2004 at 10:38 AM.

OK - I've run out of alternatives to the SPCA. I checked all the welfare groups on the net but to no avail. And I can't take her in bec I'm allergic to cats believe it or not.

SPCA is coming to pick her up later today.

Hope I am not too late.

Pls contact Metta Cats Society. They have nursed some badly injured cats back to health and put up for adoption in the past.

Their motto is never to put down an animal unless absolutely necessary.

http://www.mettacats.org/

Found this one, they have a new shelter in Pasir Ris.

Animals Lover League
    TEl: 6755-1424

I sincerely hope the cat lives. You are doing a wonderful thing Tetrode.

Hope the kitty will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by alba
    Found this one, they have a new shelter in Pasir Ris.

Animals Lover League
    TEl: 6755-1424
    I'm afraid that it is too late.The SPCA took her away at noon.

I'm afraid that it is too late.The SPCA took her away at noon.
    Tetrode, how is the cat's condition then?

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Tetrode, how is the cat's condition then?
    I dunno - one of the conditions of handing over to the SPCA is that they have to right to deal with it in whatever manner they deem fit and I no right to inquire.

I'm not too happy about handing it over to them but I could not find any alternatives at that time.

The Cat Lovers society doesn't have any numbers to call. If there are alternatives to the SPCA, they should put up the numbers on their website.

I made the decision to send it to the SPCA bec of the lack of alternatives at that time and the fact that she was in pain.

hope things will turn out alright...

Default some tips and experience to share... animal rescue

I dunno - one of the conditions of handing over to the SPCA is that they have to right to deal with it in whatever manner they deem fit and I no right to inquire.

I'm not too happy about handing it over to them but I could not find any alternatives at that time.

The Cat Lovers society doesn't have any numbers to call. If there are alternatives to the SPCA, they should put up the numbers on their website.

I made the decision to send it to the SPCA bec of the lack of alternatives at that time and the fact that she was in pain.
    dear tetrode,

came across this thread only now. i hope the poor kitty is ok.. but given the condition and number of animals SPCA gets a month, there really is hardly any way out other than to PTS (put to sleep). Unless the animals are very young, cute, fluffy, "branded" aka pedigree, else there's hardly a chance for them to be adopted and find new, loving homes...

you have been very, very kind to have wanted to save the poor cat and i understand u were desperate at that time and were at a loss.

this brings to the question of : what to do when you come across an injured animal? in pain.. crying for help.. suffering.. neglected... abandoned.....

i do understand that not everyone come across such animals everyday and would naturally be inexperienced in handling such situations so let me just share with all what i know..

i guess the answer lies in: how BIG ur heart is and to what extend are you willing to go for the animal...

the following hypothetical situation is what u can do:

1. SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION
    if the poor animal is howling, crying in pain.. and u see the helplessness in their eyes... U are the only person there, right next to it, and U are the only person who can do something about it. if u can, rush it down to the nearest vet clinic, if u cant, try to get hold of someone who can. get the nearest paper carton, or big towel, wrap the poor cat with it, (it helps to calm them down, and pray that this cat is human-friendly and trusts u and allows u to handle it) and use the carton to transport the animal to the clinic

here's a list of all vet clinics in singapore:
    http://www.sva.org.sg/singapore_veterinary_clinics.asp

i believe Mt Pleasant at Stevens Rd has a 24 hour emergency clinic
    and here're some emergency numbers if u really need the vet to rush down:
    Animal Clinic - 98025555
    Companion - 65358833
    Mt Pleasant - 62508333

2. IF U CANT AFFORD THE FEES..
    this is tricky.. u WANT to help but do NOT have the means..
    i suggest what U can do is to gather a few good friends together.. share the plight of the cat with others.. see if everyone can pull together a sum of money to help tide over.. hopefully cat survives..

3. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
    well, if the cat survives the ordeal, the best thing you could do for it is to find it a new home..
    so it will not have to roam the streets of singapore again, and be subjected to abuse and harsh weather conditions

here's where u can go to to put up an adoption bulletin
    - www.catwelfare.org
    - http://groups.msn.com/singaporecats (forum for catlovers)
    - http://www.expatsingapore.com (most expats love animals or are at least tolerant of them)
    - "talk of the town" noticeboard all over Cold Storage

if u cant, then perhaps the next best thing is to put the animal back to where u found it.
    but PLEASE, the last kind act you could do for it is to get it STERILIZED.
    its good for its health and also U are minimising similar tragedies that could happen to its offsprings years later.

one last note, MettaCattery is indeed a place where NO ANIMALS are PTS but are given utmost love and care to the max from the sole care-giver and the small team of volunteers who have full-time jobs and its resources are scarce and the cattery is currently way too overcrowded to be accepting anymore injured or abandoned animals